Invitation vent

Online Users: 1,344 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 3

mrsandrew712 Posts : 4 Registered: 3/30/08
Invitation vent
Posted: May 21, 2008 11:00 PM

I'm sorry but I have to vent about my invitation situation. My FMIL and I went to a cute little stationery shop and looked through the customary books. I really liked the pocket invitations as did my FMIL so we told the woman that we wanted those. She started asking about what we wanted on each one of the cards and everything and we got those details sorted out. I figured being a pocket invitation it would be slighly more expensive but (and this is the duh-bride moment) we never actually asked her how much they were. So we get them ordered and my FMIL goes to pay for hers and it turns out they cost a total of $2000!! Evidently the more cards you put into them, the more they charge you (I just figured - it's a pocket invitation, it should come with the cards -right?). To top it all off, she mailed the invites out without me ever seeing a final proof of them AND on our guest list, she added "and guest" to guests who were only a single invite. Like I said, our fault for not actually asking for the price, but you'd think at some point she would have mentioned the extra costs of the cards. Anyway, I've heard the invites look beautiful (I still haven't seen them) and every time I hear "The invitations look nice." the standard response is "Well they damn well better!" Has anyone else run into an issue like this?

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Re: Invitation vent
Posted: May 21, 2008 11:23 PM Go to message in response to: mrsandrew712

Hi, MrsAndrew --  It sounds to me like this was a case of insufficient commmunication on several levels.  As you said, you didn't ask how much the invitations would cost, but I'm also curious how it happened that your FMIL sent them out, and that she did it without your seeing a proof.  Had you planned for her to do this, or did she just commandeer your guest list and do it?  And when you say she paid for "hers," was she paying for a certain number of them and you or your parents paid for the others?

It would be interesting to hear your FMIL's side of the story.  Try to look at it from her side for a minute.  Would she say that you were indecisive or disorganized?  Is she the type of person who tends to say, "If I want something done right, I have to do it myself"?

I was going to say it was odd that you were able to complete the ordering process without knowing the cost, but then I realized that when I ordered my invitations last year (from a graphics shop), they hemmed & hawed about price and I honestly didn't have any idea how much I'd be paying until after the wedding was all over with!  I chalked that up to the shop being more artistic than businesslike, and since I've had a business account with them for years I knew that whatever they charged would be within reason.  But maybe the practice of surprising customers with the bill is more widespread than I had thought.

"When Women Vote, We All Win!"

EveT

Chad Posts : 637 Registered: 10/3/06
Posted: May 22, 2008 8:25 AM Go to message in response to: mrsandrew712

Vent away.

I'll echo Eve.  She voiced most of the same thoughts I had as to why this happened.  The point is... it's happened, it's in the past and you can't change it.  Deep breath.  Let it go.

Chad ~ 11.19.05

mrsandrew712 Posts : 4 Registered: 3/30/08
Posted: May 22, 2008 9:04 AM Go to message in response to: Chad

Sorry, I'll clarify. It wasn't my FMIL that sent them out, it was the woman at the invite shop. My parents are paying for their family and friends as well as my FH and my friends. FMIL is inviting a lot of business acquaintances (her list alone is more than both my mother's and my lists combined) - she is paying for her invites. It actually is working out really well and she's been really great about everything. But I'm getting over the invites thing, as my FH said, "Well, next time we get married we'll know not to use her." :)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine