Honeymoon for $2000 budget

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

ChiBride08 Posts : 54 Registered: 3/15/07
Honeymoon for $2000 budget
Posted: May 21, 2008 2:06 PM

FH and I are hoping to book a honeymoon that includes most expenses (like airfare, hotel, and maybe food) for under $2000.  Any suggestions on good honeymoon locations in this price range? We are hoping to go out of the country but aren't sure if it is possible with our budget.  I think we both would like some place where we can relax and  have some excursions. Any help is appreciated.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: Honeymoon for $2000 budget
Posted: May 21, 2008 2:11 PM Go to message in response to: ChiBride08

I really suggest getting a travel agent to help you out.  We're headed to Playa del Carmen in Mexico for about 3K at an all inclusive and that includes airfare.  But we had a travel agent help us out and it was very worth it.

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Posted: May 21, 2008 2:15 PM Go to message in response to: ChiBride08

I agree with PharmToxGirl.  A travel agent is your best bet.  There are tons of places in Mexico that are nice and not too expensive.  It also depends on where you're flying from and what time of year you want to travel.  

Daisypath Ticker

Married 4/21/08 Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort

Slideshow of our wedding photos:

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa135/tobiandbrian/Wedding%20Photos/?action=view¤t=cb216606.pbr

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: May 21, 2008 3:03 PM Go to message in response to: CaribbeanBride08

Hi, ChiBride -- Just a note re the PPs, I would not choose Mexico for my honeymoon, because every single time I have gone there I have gotten the "turista" intestinal upset, and so have most of the friends & loved ones I have gone there with.  I don't mean to condemn the entire country -- there are undoubtedly some places you can stay where the sanitation is good enough to avoid this, though they might be expensive -- but I wouldn't gamble my honeymoon on it.

Whether or not you use a travel agent, it would be important to set a few more parameters.  How many days do you want the honeymoon to be?  What time of year?  And most important, what kinds of places do you enjoy?  Not everyone likes beaches or hot weather.  I've heard wonderful things about honeymoons in cold places like Norway, Nova Scotia, and the Canadian Rockies, for example.

"When Women Vote, We All Win!"

EveT

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: May 21, 2008 3:22 PM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

My PP wasn't GO TO MEXICO, I was just letting the OP know what we're paying.

And we had NO ides where we wanted to go and our travel agent helped out with that tremendously.  She asked questions, gave us a survey and based her suggestions on our answers.

So even when you're not sure where you might want to go, they can be helpful.  But Eve has it right that if you at least know warm vs cold, that helps.  I'm not remotely a Beach person, so where we are going there are a lot more things to do vs being on the beach.  That was important to me, but our Travel Agent was aware of that.

Montereybride08 Posts : 494 Registered: 1/25/08
Posted: May 21, 2008 4:21 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I personally LOVE Mexico, and have spent a lot of time traveling there, both to tourist spots and off the beaten path. That said, I am not going to Mexico for my Honeymoon. I may be different from others, but I am not a fan of super touristy areas. When I travel, I want to experience the place that I am going, not the American watered down version. There are beautiful places that are more remote (PharmToxGirl- Playa Del Carmen is spectacular!), but your comfort level when traveling should really be a huge consideration when booking your honeymoon (or any other trip). If you have never traveled to another country before, it might be too overwhelming to explore with out guides and tour groups.

You really need to assess what you want from a honeymoon, beyond less than x amount of money.

Good luck!

Message was edited by: Montereybride08

ChiBride08 Posts : 54 Registered: 3/15/07
Posted: May 21, 2008 5:57 PM Go to message in response to: Montereybride08

Thanks for the suggestions.  Our options are to go right after the wedding during the first week of of October for five to six days because I can only miss one week of classes (I'm still in grad school) or wait until the end of the semester and go in early or mid December for about ten days.  I think we both prefer warm places because Chicago summers feel so short.  FH suggested Mexico, and I'm pretty much undecided about where I would like to go.  I guess I could look for a travel agent in Chicago so I can get some help. If anyone knows of one that you recommend please let me know. :)

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Posted: May 21, 2008 6:52 PM Go to message in response to: ChiBride08

There are a couple of travel agents that post a lot in this forum.  Their names are Tammy and Nancy.  Both of them seem extremely helpful and neither of them charge a fee.  You could just PM them and ask for help. 

Here's an old thread that has both of them on it so that you can find send them a private message if you want. 

Nancy and elitegrp are their profile names.

http://www.brides.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=383724&#383724

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Married 4/21/08 at Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort

Slideshow of our wedding photos: 

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa135/tobiandbrian/Wedding%20Photos/?action=view¤t=cb216606.pbr

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine