Using My Last Name Professionally and His Name Socially

Online Users: 1,240 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

scatterjoy Posts : 117 Registered: 9/27/06
Using My Last Name Professionally and His Name Socially
Posted: May 19, 2008 2:38 PM

Could anyone please describe to me how this works?  Do I change my name legally to First Middle MyLastName HisLastName and then drop the HisLastName when I'm at work?

My FH would really like to have his last name as a part of my name, but I'd rather not lose my last name and therefore was wondering if the above would work?

firstweddinginn... Posts : 77 Registered: 9/15/07
Re: Using My Last Name Professionally and His Name Socially
Posted: May 19, 2008 4:07 PM Go to message in response to: scatterjoy

I cant tell you exactly how this works (I plan to keep my name all the time) but I do have a tinge of experience here. My FIRST name is Michelle, my nickname 'Molly' grew out of.. -I'm not sure where it came from actually-but the point is'Michelle' is listed on all my legal documents, and 'Molly' is on everything else and what I use to introduce myself.

I just got out of grad school and my poor teachers would start each semester by calling roll call for my formal name, I respond, then not an hour later I will pull a teacher/ or student aside and introduce myself as molly, confusing everyone. I just graduated and half my program calls me michelle, the other half molly, depending on how long I was able to keep the names straight.

Applying for jobs is equally annoying, my resume states michelle but my email address has molly. My voicemail usually says molly but if i am applying for a job I switch it to Michelle and my friends start leaving me messages asking if this is still the right number.

These days its VERY hard to keep your business and personal life seperate. Think check writing, credit cards, and drivers licenses...not to mention introducing yourself when your nervous and accidently using the wrong name.

I LIKE the idea of keeping your name, I am all for it, but figure out the rules so you can be consistant and get into a good habit.

dress005-1.jpg picture by tashacopi

cant wait to wear my dress!

Message was edited by: firstweddinginnovember

shelsgrl Posts : 164 Registered: 5/31/07
Posted: May 19, 2008 4:34 PM Go to message in response to: scatterjoy

This is exactly what I'm planning!  And what you described is what I'll do.  I'll legally be First Middle MyLast HisLast.  At work, I'm just going to still be what I am now, and won't have to let anyone know (it would be confusing to give a whole explanation without changing anything).  I identify so strongly with my maiden name that I do not want to drop it, and I do want to include FH's name to symbolize our unity.  I know that our friends and family will just call us The HisLasts, but my masters diploma will still include my maiden name, and work colleagues will still call me by that name.

"Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or even what you are. Rich is who you have beside you." ~JIK II

Posted: May 19, 2008 9:28 PM Go to message in response to: scatterjoy

I am doing this too. I am a writer and I have things published under my name so I will keep that in my career. But, everything legally will be under my fiance's, including my pay checks. I will simply just go by my maiden name through email contacts and for everything I write. 

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: May 20, 2008 11:25 AM Go to message in response to: scatterjoy

I go by my maiden name at work as well. However legally I am my married name. My paychecks and bills and bank accounts are in my married name.  All you need to do is let your boss know what you're planning on doing. With mine, she just wants me to let her know when I'm ready to change it to my married name on my emails. And since I havent decided (7months later) I just haven't changed it.

Formerly Ama102707

KatharineC Posts : 940 Registered: 2/6/08
Posted: May 20, 2008 4:13 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

My sister is a vet, so she is still Dr Maiden-name, and her bank account is in that name because apparently she gets a better credit card that way! But most of her other legal documents list her as Mrs His-surname. She says she has to carry a copy of her marriage certificate around with her in case of queries, but otherwise she's had no problems.

When is my wedding

On October 31st 2008 I marry my One True Love!

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: May 20, 2008 4:30 PM Go to message in response to: KatharineC

To the OP:  The way you describe it in the thread title (Using My Last Name Professionally and His Name Socially), you have a choice: you could use either of the names legally. 

I have a friend who is legally Mary Maiden and Mary Maiden at work, but socially she's Mary Jones (Mrs. John Jones).  She never changed her driver's license or Social Security card or anything.  She got married more than 20 yrs ago and it's never been a problem. 

OTOH, I changed my name legally to my husband's surname and kept my maiden name professionally.  I wanted to retain my maiden name as my legal middle name, but I didn't have to do that, I could have used my "given" middle name.  The way I did it, my driver's license, Social Security number, insurance cards, and bank accounts are First Mylast Hislast.  At work I am just First Mylast.  When we want to be formal (which isn't very often), we're Mr. and Mrs. Joseph X. Hislast.

The other option would have been to change it to Myfirst Mymiddle Hislast.  If I were known by a double given name, like Sally Ann or Mary Lou, I would have considered doing it that way.

Isn't it nice (and confusing!) to have choices?

"When Women Vote, We All Win!"

EveT

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine