NWR: California & Gay Marriage

Online Users: 1,252 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 326

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Re: NWR: California & Gay Marriage
Posted: May 20, 2008 11:32 AM Go to message in response to: futuremrsmason

Anyway, ladies, thanks for the harsh statements criticizing others because they don't believe the way you do... Something that none of "us" (the opposing thought's side) has done in return.

I think that SOME (but not all) people on EITHER side of this argument have said or implied harsh things about those on the other side.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

I like the flowers, so I'm keeping my useless ticker. Just married, 4/26/08!

Posted: May 20, 2008 11:36 AM Go to message in response to: ginmal

Ginmal, when SDI lost her virginity is totally irrelevant to her beliefs. One of the core concepts of Christianity is forgiveness of sinners - note the famous example of Mary Magdalene, who is a prostitute in the Bible and later becomes one of Jesus' most devoted followers. Whether SDI (or anyone else) has herself committed acts that she believes to be sins is completly irrelevant to her opinions about what IS a sin.

Furthermore, it is entirely possible for a person to do something that he/she believes to be a sin, KNOWING THAT IT IS WRONG. A non-religious example would be a cashier giving you the wrong change and you walking away with it. Do you know that this is technically stealing? Yep - but you do it anyway, even though you believe that stealing is wrong. It is ENTIRELY POSSIBLE to commit a sin and to believe that what you did was wrong.

I agree with you on principle, but this particular argument is irrelevant.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Message was edited by: ArtBride

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: May 20, 2008 11:37 AM Go to message in response to: futuremrsmason

Anyway, ladies, thanks for the harsh statements criticizing others because they don't believe the way you do... Something that none of "us" (the opposing thought's side) has done in return. I would have thought that women older than myself could handle themselves with more decorum, but I suppose that that assumption was incorrect in some cases. (note, some)

I agree with ArtBride that things that were harsh were said on both sides.  No one group was above the other.

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: May 20, 2008 11:44 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

**Sigh**

Can't we all just get along?? :-)

ginmal Posts : 396 Registered: 1/11/08
Posted: May 20, 2008 11:45 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Well, I'm sorry Art, butI don't see how one can be so "against" homosexuality (even though it does NOT effect them in any way) because it is their "belief" that it's a sin...yet they themselves can commit sins and be forgivin??

See...this is why I don't believe in God or religion....it makes NO sense to me.

So SDL can have pre-marital sex, smoke(not that I know she does all of this) drink, desicrate her body, judge her neighbor and be forgivin....yet can be "against" another sin??

I just don't get that logic.....It was said in this post earlier (I think by SDL...though I may be wrong) that all sins are "equal"....so how come some can be "forgivin" and others Christians (such as SDL) are so against??

Posted: May 20, 2008 11:49 AM Go to message in response to: ginmal

Yes, the belief is that a sinner may sincerely repent, make a good-faith effort to change his/her ways, and be forgiven by God. I'm sure SDI believes that homosexuals could also be forgiven by God if they were to repent for (what she believes to be a sin) and change their ways.

I can't speak for SDI's beliefs, but according to Christian theory, anyway, ANYONE can be forgiven for their sins if they repent. Presumably, SDI is just as 'against' her own sins as she is 'against' homosexuality. At least, she would be if she believes what she preaches. Like I said, I can't speak for her.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

I like the flowers, so I'm keeping my useless ticker. Just married, 4/26/08! Message was edited by: ArtBride

futuremrsmason Posts : 239 Registered: 3/21/08
Posted: May 20, 2008 11:52 AM Go to message in response to: ginmal

I'm pretty sure it was me, and I'm equally pretty sure that its already been talked about in exhaustion.

sidenote: I got this picture of what this debate could look like in person...

bride1: I believe homosexuality is right iwith my heart
bride2: I believe homosexuality is right with my head.
bride3: I believe homosexuality is wrong with my faith
bride2: you lemming! throws veiled tiara
bride4: how dare you! *throws half made corsage

etc...

Meanwhile, lurkers watch with popcorn, wishing this could really be happening at a BRIDES convention... 

Wedding Tickers and More From LifeTicker.com

AdorablePlanet.com movingannouncementstore.com

Posted: May 20, 2008 12:05 PM Go to message in response to: futuremrsmason

Heh...how I do love being the Devil's Advocate!

Just thought of something to add. I can support Gin's argument by quoting ANOTHER biblical passage...'let he who is without sin cast the first stone.'

And I think I've probably sufficiently proven my OWN argument, which is 'live and let live...believe what you want, but your religious beliefs should not determine laws of a secular country. Keep your nose out of other people's business, since it's not your place to punish others for their sins...especially if those in question do not believe the same way that you do. You have every right to believe what you want, but due to that same freedom, others have every right to believe differently. Leave them alone.'

DaisypathWedding Ticker

RomanticGirl Posts : 777 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: May 20, 2008 12:09 PM Go to message in response to: RomanticGirl

This was one of my more brilliant posts and it shall not be ignored:

SDI, I just want to gently say that when you say homosexuality is a sin, and say that you were personally attacked, I hope you just realize that every homosexual feels personally attacked whenever a Christian says it's a sin.

To the pp about the Bible. So because it has some historical facts in it, you accept everything in it as truth from God? So if I write a book with all of my interpretations of what God says to me, as long as I put in some facts about what is currently going on in the world, it will be taken as hard evidence that everything else I say is the truth?

And as for the whole thing about Satan twisting our minds, how do you know which is which? How do you know that homosexuality=sin isn't the work of Satan trying to breed intolerance among people? Because personally that is what I believe. I believe a lot of what is going on in Christianity today is indeed the work of Satan.

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: May 20, 2008 12:12 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Well said ArtBride!!!!!!!  By the way, congrats on your wedding!!

Your post sums it all up!!!!

ginmal Posts : 396 Registered: 1/11/08
Posted: May 20, 2008 12:13 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

..I wasn't saying SDL was doing all those "sins" I was just using her as example since I know pre-marital sex is a "sin" and she did that...

The whole "I am against gay marriage" thing just bother me...wether they disagree because they believe it's  sin, or because the bible tells them to, or they just don't like gay people.....but if it will not effect YOU and YOUR marriage and YOUR life, how in the hell can you be so against something??

MrsDupont Posts : 1,574 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: May 20, 2008 12:52 PM Go to message in response to: ginmal

YAYAYA  Gay Marriage!!

Hurray for Free Will...

Daisypath Anniversary Years PicDaisypath Anniversary Years Ticker Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

MrsDupont Posts : 1,574 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: May 20, 2008 12:58 PM Go to message in response to: MrsDupont

Daisypath Anniversary Years PicDaisypath Anniversary Years Ticker Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Posted: May 20, 2008 1:29 PM Go to message in response to: ginmal

Thanks, Diva!

Gin, I also don't like that people are against homosexuality. It doesn't really make sense to me to hate it, but it's their belief, based on religion or upbringing or whatever.

but if it will not effect YOU and YOUR marriage and YOUR life, how in the hell can you be so against something??

Murder doesn't have to affect me personally for me to have an opinion on whether it is right or wrong. Everyone has a right to their own opinions and morals, even if someone's personal opinion is contrary to what the law says is right. There are tons of people out there who still believe that men are superior to women. Does that anger me? Yes. Do they have the right to think that? Yes, as long as they do not illegally discriminate against me. I don't like it, but I probably have a lot of opinions that THEY don't like, either. Fortunately, we have the freedom to think what we want.

I didn't say that you thought SDI was doing all that stuff. I was merely explaining that it is QUITE possible to be imperfect yourself, but to recognize and disapprove of others' imperfections. Does that make you a hypocrite? A little. That's the point of the whole 'let he who is without sin cast the first stone' quote.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Posted: May 20, 2008 1:40 PM Go to message in response to: RomanticGirl

RomanticGirl, I have to agree that your post was one of the more brilliant ones!!  Trust me, it did not go unnoticed, it was just not commented on.

I really like this phrase of yours.  It's quite an eye opener if you ask me.

And as for the whole thing about Satan twisting our minds, how do you know which is which? How do you know that homosexuality=sin isn't the work of Satan trying to breed intolerance among people?

Daisypath Ticker

Married 4/21/08 Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort

Slideshow of our wedding photos:

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa135/tobiandbrian/Wedding%20Photos/?action=view¤t=cb216606.pbr

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine