Ideas - 2 weeks away!! Please help!

Online Users: 1,337 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8
Ideas - 2 weeks away!! Please help!
Posted: May 5, 2008 2:41 AM

Well... for those of you that haven't read my post about my florist.. I will shortly explain that first. My florist told me $1500 about 3 weeks ago, and now suddenly the price is more than DOUBLE that. She said I told her I didn't want any centerpieces... so the $1500 didn't include that. I DEFINATELY never said that. Anyway... I am visiting another florist tomorrow to see what she would charge for these centerpieces. I MAY need to change all of my flowers though if the price can't go down this way. The thing is... right now the majority of my flowers are blue hydrangeas.. and if I change flowers I obviously can't go with another blue flower... because there aren't any! We've already bought light blue and white M&Ms for the favors.. so I'm basically stuck with using blue, even if blue doesn't happen in the flowers. My bridesmaids dresses are dark brown, and the M&Ms are blue and white. Those are the only two definate things that can't change. Does anyone have any ideas for flower types/colors... and if it doesn't include blue.. how I could incorporate blue into the wedding still without using it in the flowers??

I'm really stuck here. I was thinking white and ivory flowers? Oh .. and there is brown ribbon going to be tied around the chairs... which have white chair covers on them. Also.. the napkins will be brown as well. Please help! I really don't know what to do because of this.. Any ideas for colors would be greatly appreciated!

DaisypathWedding Ticker

deansbride Posts : 220 Registered: 3/24/08
Re: Ideas - 2 weeks away!! Please help!
Posted: May 5, 2008 3:28 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

White/ivory sounds very pretty. If cost is an issue have your florist suggest types that are in your budget-there are tons of different white flowers! Could she maybe incorporate a little bit of hydrangea to keep with the blue? What about lots of greenery? Good luck.

coastiebride Posts : 1,365 Registered: 3/26/07
Posted: May 5, 2008 3:41 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I would look into the blue hydrangea and white lilies, in a nice vase with a few votives around the base. Have you looked into your contract? Do you even have one? Does she outline what she is offering you? I would start there. I would also depending on your deposit you put down look into another florist, i would not be giving her my money! 

Lets not all get caught up in our wedding. Remember we should not only be planning for a our wedding but more so we should be planning for  our marriage. More so then fighting over shades of peach, tuxs, cake flavors and only god knows what else. Because the next morning it is over, guests are gone the flowers have died the cake well lets face it 1/2 of it was tossed out. Cinderella is still a maid, the limo is now a pumpkin And there is life to face ok after wild crazy monkey sex for 7 nights straight, lets not kid out selfs there are priorities After its all gone there's still bills to pay and a job to go back to

Going to the Chapel December 6th 2008

Love is a four-letter word spelled G-I-V-E

Posted: May 5, 2008 8:22 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I like the previous idea about the blue hydrangeas in a vase with votives... that's very similar to what I am doing - we are doing green/burgundy hydrangeas with lily grass (to add height) and votives on the table.  Also, we are adding a ribbon around the bottom of the vase (in burgundy to match the BM dresses - you could do either blue or brown).  My centerpieces were fairly inexpensive - I think under $35 each.  I'll have to buy the candles, but you can get votives pretty cheap. 

Good luck!

Valerie

Wedding Date:  September 27, 2008

lostinthemission Posts : 102 Registered: 3/19/08
Posted: May 5, 2008 8:11 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I would order some hydrangea in cream from www.farmstogo.com. You can just have a simple vase of hydrangea. Or you coulf have a blue and white flower in the vase. The centerpieces should be under $10 or less if you shop around (get vases at the dollar tree or a dollar store). The first link is to the hydrangea, the rest are to other blue flowers...

http://www.farmstogo.com/s/home/main_buy_list.php?spx=21

anemones: http://www.farmstogo.com/s/home/main_buy_list.php?spx=390

limonium: http://www.farmstogo.com/s/home/main_buy_list.php?spx=245

delphinium: http://www.farmstogo.com/s/home/main_buy_list.php?spx=190

Or you can order your flowers off Costco.com. They have hydrangea centerpieces. They also have made boquets and wedding packages. They even have your blue flowers!!

bulk centerpiece link: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11136821&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|62777&N=4018723&Mo=0&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=62924&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

hyrangea wedding package:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11049047&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|62777&N=4018721&Mo=13&No=7&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=62789&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

All the weding packages:

http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.aspx?whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|62777&N=4018721&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=62789&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&topnav=

I am going to be sweet, Mrs. Sweet that is!

Message was edited by: lostinthemission

Posted: May 7, 2008 5:19 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Ok, This is actually easy. Lets see... with brown you will need something to soften the color.

Two thoughts... You could buy bulk white carnations or white of anything and set them in blue water dye over night... instant blue flowers.

Or... Alll white flowers would be gorgeous. White roses with a blue and brown ribbon wrapped around them. If you have a modern wedding and all solid gowns, you could do a playful patterned bow like stripes or polka dots.

I went to costco to get my flowers. They deliver. Try Costco.com. I spent only a few hundred for all my flowers. I have some great ideas on my Budget Bride web site that you may find useful.

Another idea... Use white or cream flowers with sprays of beaded accents from the floral section at any craft store. They have irridescent tiny beads that gleam with a light blue, etc.

Costco has the blue hydrangea collections (40 pieces!) for $800.00. Tell your florist to shove it.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11049047&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|62777|62789&N=4018721&Mo=13&pos=0&No=7&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=62789&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC10612-Cat62777&topnav=

www.thumbsuporpantsdown.com

Have a great day,

Becca-

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: May 7, 2008 2:47 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

The thing is... right now the majority of my flowers are blue hydrangeas.. and if I change flowers I obviously can't go with another blue flower... because there aren't any!

Well, there are some others, although you are right, blue is not common in flowers. But (and many of these are in season now), there are blue delphinium, iris, cornflowers, hyacinth, among others. PP's are right that you can do a mix of flowers and add in some hydrangea, along with less expensive flowers--there's no reason that a centerpiece or bouquet has to be all one flower or all one color. Beca is right aabout using colorful wraps on your bouquets and centerpieces. Another idea is to use simple glass vases and add a blue element, like a layer of inexpensive sea glass or glass pebbles. You even can put food coloring in the water, although I really dislike dyed flowers, so just add coloring to the water, not the flowers. I can send you pictures of many of these ideas--just contact me through my website and I'll send them right out to you.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

shelsgrl Posts : 164 Registered: 5/31/07
Posted: May 14, 2008 2:03 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

As others have said, you can still use hydrangeas!  The suggestion for a simple vase of hydrangeas (you only need one or two stems per vase, since they're huge) with a blue and brown ribbon is great.  Simple, cheap, clean, and fits with your colors.

"Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or even what you are. Rich is who you have beside you." ~JIK II

triplej Posts : 92 Registered: 9/3/07
Posted: May 14, 2008 2:12 PM Go to message in response to: shelsgrl

Do you already have your table cloths set? I mean if you want to do all white flowers and add blue somewhere else, you could add blue in the table cloths or ribbons around the center piece vases or voltive candles, or place cards...

Jamie : )

July 12, 2008 is the day I marry my everything!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine