People Say the Darndest Things!

Online Users: 1,223 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 61

BreAnn Posts : 600 Registered: 11/28/07
Re: People Say the Darndest Things!
Posted: May 13, 2008 12:35 PM Go to message in response to: futuremrsperry

Futuremrsperry: I am also in the Charleston WV area. Have always been, but I really don't get a lot of when are you having babies thing. But then again, I've always told people I wasn't having any even long before I met DH, though that isn't true I want 2, but it just reduces the questions. Also, what hospital does your FH work at around here?

FutureMrsAylswo... Posts : 47 Registered: 10/8/07
Posted: May 13, 2008 1:23 PM Go to message in response to: BreAnn

I'm from Huntington, WV!  Small world. =)

I have a real good example of how people need to THINK before they open their yappers.  I was at a rehearsal dinner for a friend and a friend of the brides who I had never met before noticed I had an engagement ring on my finger.  She asked if I was and I said "Yes, I am" and I looked at my fiance.  Then she asked how we met.  We met in an "unconventional" way online and when I explained to her how we met she RUDELY said "Ohh realllly?  That really works, huh?  That's just strange."  It's like she was totally disgusted and couldn't believe we had met that way. She was so smug! I was stunned.  I couldn't believe someone would have the audacity to be so rude. I just wanted to say "Yes, honey, I didn't meet my FH in a bar.  We met online and that's why we've been together 4 years and we are getting married and that's why YOU are still single."  UGH people.

Message was edited by: FutureMrsAylsworth

BreAnn Posts : 600 Registered: 11/28/07
Posted: May 13, 2008 1:25 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsAylswo...

Thats so cool! I am actually now closer to Huntington than to Charleston. I used to live about 30 mins from the Southridge area, but when I got married, I moved in with him and I am now about 30 mins from the Huntington Mall. A little less if he drives and takes all those crazy little backroads I don't know yet!

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: May 13, 2008 1:36 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsAylswo...

I thought of another lovely comment....usually it's my IL's making comments. 

So we close on our new house the day before my birthday..so we're moving ON my birthday. Whatever. My MIL and SIL, however, "cannot believe" I would move on my birthday...so what am I supposed to do, re-neg the contract to NOT move on that day? Um, no. Plus its MY birthday, don't I kinda decide if I wanna do that or not. Furthermore, if we weren't moving, I'd be working, so whats better? work, or moving into your first home??  I dont get it. I just wanna be like SHUT UP!!

Formerly Ama102707

Posted: May 13, 2008 1:52 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

I had co-workers ask me if my ring was real several times.  I also had one of them come up to me in the bathroom saying that she had heard about it, so I guess everyone was talking about it.  It isn't huge, but in my opinion it is just tacky to ask someone the size of a ring.  It really embaressed me. 

We did a destination wedding and if one more person asked me when they were recieving their tickets in the mail I was going to scream.  We did actually pay for attendants and immediate family but for someone who we are not close to to ask me this was just crazy.  Someone actually made the comment at my grandfather's funeral (which was a month before the wedding).  Didn't they realize that I might be going through a hard enough time without their smart A** comments.

Other than that it was the typical why.

KatharineC Posts : 940 Registered: 2/6/08
Posted: May 13, 2008 1:53 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

Wow, girls, I've been laughing reading some of these, but some of them really are rude and thoughtless! I just realised how lucky I am! Nobody has said anything negative to me about the wedding at all. Some are more interested than others, but they all say congratulations anyway. The only comments they make are really dumb ones, like asking when the wedding is (October), and THEN asking if I've got a venue yet! Um, hello?? Five months to go and you think I haven't booked a venue yet? How on earth could I have just told you the exact date if I didn't have a place for it? What, do they think you just phone up a venue a few days before and book your wedding there, like a restaurant reservation??

When is my wedding

On October 31st 2008 I marry my One True Love!

uno Posts : 619 Registered: 1/4/08
Posted: May 13, 2008 1:54 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

NJ  - People are just stupid sometimes.  I mean the world doesn't stop just because it's someone's birthday.  Clearly you are excited about getting a house and it's even more special that you get to move on your birthday! You'll always remember when you moved.  Last year, I took a CPA exam on my birthday and the woman there (you have to show 2 forms of ID and have your fingerprint read) took my drivers license and was like, "oh it's your birthday and you're doing this?" yeah.  It was really the only day I could make it work, and if not, I'd be doing something else.  I don't expect the world to stop on my birthday and have  a day long party!

I actually just had a fantastic comment to add.  When it came out, the first thing I thought was "I can't wait to get online and add it to the thread!"  So here it goes:  my office is pretty small and there are only a few of us girls under the age of 40 (I'm the youngest at 24 and the oldest is probably 32) so we do lunch together for celebrations and what not.  So, we met in the lobby today and were waiting on one more girl when another woman coworker (maybe 50 years old) was up front doing something.  She said "Uno... what size wedding dress do you have?"  I thought maybe I misunderstood and she wondered like the size of the wedding so I said "what size dress did I get?" she said "yeah".  I was just so caught off guard, but I (relunctantly) answered "a 4" and she was like "oh... the first size I ever remember wearing was a 6x.... when I was in elementary school.  Yes with an X."  I mean, you are comparing me to what you wore in elementary school? I am pretty sure that 6x is a child's size and I'm wearing an adults size.  I was just so confused and I couldn't wait to come on here and share!

DutchBride Posts : 118 Registered: 3/11/08
Posted: May 13, 2008 2:05 PM Go to message in response to: uno

Being a fairly young bride is difficult.  I have been dating my FH for five years and some people still think we should wait until we're 30. 

People can be rude!

* Marijke *

I read once that the ancient Egyptians had fifty words for sand & that the Eskimos has a hundred words for snow. I wish I had a thousand words for love, but all that comes to mind is the way you move against me when you sleep & there are no words for that -Brian Andreas

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: May 13, 2008 2:18 PM Go to message in response to: nmtgirl

I have to give you all a little insight: This is my 2nd marraige and his first marriage. I have 3 kids 2 of which live on their own and he has none. I am 39 and the youngest of 9. He is 38 (almost 39) and is the youngest of 3 and the only son. My mother is elderly and lives in a convilesnt home. His mother is 2 years younger then my mom and now lives with us. His father is remarried (17 yrs. now) and my father has passed away. .

FMIL: But she can't have any more kids. You know a women like her is considerd "damaged goods". "This will make you a step-dad." "I don't think you can handle someone elses kids!" "Shouldn't you find someone younger?!" "Why get married if she's been divorced she must not know how to keep her man" (she's divorced 2x's) "Why get married...she's only after the house you need a pre-nup" (this was through out the first 2 years). When he finally proprsed.. it was "Oh haven't you heard anything I've told you in the past 2 years?!?!" "You shouldn't have to pay for the wedding let the BRIDES family pay for it" Mind you we are paying for it together. You have no idea what life has been like for me to know all this.

FFIL: "So are you going to give me grandchildren??" "You are the only son and I want someone to carry our name." "You need to get started now I'm not getting any younger." FH told him we aren't having anymore children and all he had to say is "OH".  

FSIL: "You're so old now are you sure it's what you want? I hope you know what you are doing."

Now.. let me say something about his family.. his mother and his 2 sisters have all been DIVORCED .. LOL.. and 1 of his sisters re-married and now wants another divorce.

My Family: Mind you I was married for 6 yrs! "Are you sure it's gonna last??" You do know that means you have to give up all your guy friends." "That's it no more dating!" (I've had only 2 boyfriends since my divorce and have been with FH for almost 4yrs)  "Oh! I didn't think you would make that mistake "again". "If this is what you want.. I hope you guys make it" 

What topped it off for me was when he proposed on Christmas Eve '07. I had no idea he was going to do this. but he talked to my son and asked his permission. (thought that was sweet). So anyway...after everyone was done with opening gifts..he kneels down on one knee. In front of my whole family.. he asked me to marry him! I said yes "of course". I was still shaking.. and low and behold.. my neice (28 yr. old) says "Well I guess I should let everyone know that I got engaged last week"!

WTF!Surprised

And to top that off, when we announced our date at a family picnic.. she says "Oh my wedding is just the following month" "That's going to be hard for the family to attend both weddings most of them are out of town. I wonder who's going to show up for your's" GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! (FYI this is her 2nd marraige too). Like mine would be less important then hers!

So no matter wht anyones age or circumstances.. PEOPLE ARE RUDE!

Oh I almost forgot.. When his mom saw the ring she said it was a waist of his money.. he should have gotten something SMALLER!   

NANETTE' & JAMES

TO BE UNITIED AS ONE SEPTEMBER 27, 2008 

CUTE

KitKatBar Posts : 983 Registered: 7/23/06
Posted: May 13, 2008 4:44 PM Go to message in response to: nanette927

People as a whole are really dumb. There are plenty of people who just blurt out what comes into their head, there's no filter there, they have no little voice that says "This might not be a good idea." 

When we're planning we got plenty of the  "When will I get my invite!" and "Why would you pick those?" Now we're rapidly approaching our first anniversary and we're getting.

"When are the babies coming?"~ When I decide to try for them.

"Are you going to stop working once you have a baby? You should, Women need to be at home with their kids!"~Thank you, have we flashed back to 1940? 

"Why aren't you taking a longer trip for your anniversary?"~Cause we can't get extra time off. Even if we could, we'd probably only take a three night trip, saves us money, and we just bought a car.

"Why would you buy a town home before a real home?"~I see a town home as a real home if we own it. We know the guy selling it and is offering us a kick ass deal. So maybe by August we'll be in our first home, which just happens to be a town home. 

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: May 13, 2008 4:52 PM Go to message in response to: uno

Uno-you didnt know that the world STOPS when its MY birthday!!!!!!??? what's wrong with you!?!?! Maybe she thought DH and I woud stay home and he'd fan me with a palm leaf and paint my toenails amidst all our unpacked boxes!!

And that 6x comment?! makes NO sense.I read it a few times over and over and I'm like WHAT?! Then when I got to the part where you didnt know either, I was like ok good, b/c I have no IDEA what she's talking about. What a weird thing to say....did she get married in elementary school or something? Or maybe she meant that was the last time she bought a single number sized article of clothing?? Weirdo.

Formerly Ama102707

uno Posts : 619 Registered: 1/4/08
Posted: May 13, 2008 5:07 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

NJ - how do you get the world to stop on YOUR day? It didn't on mine and I was pissed!  And FH did not fan me or paint my toenails!?!? I need help and how did you do that??  Hopefully your birthday isn't this month b/c I'm getting married Saturday and that's MYYYYYYYYYYYYy day and May is MY MONTH! So, you might have to move your birthday to not coincide with my month. 

Or maybe she meant that was the last time she bought a single number sized article of clothing?? Weirdo. 

Yeah, maybe she meant that was the only time she bought a single number clothing, other than that the comment didn't make sense.  She's not a large woman or anything which is what threw me off even more.  She's tall(er) than most women so I'm sure she has a hard time finding clothes and she's reasonably thin (not gross thin but not big, just normal).  So I don't know.  I was just confused and to me, that's just the exact same as asking a woman how much she weighs.  I don't ask people what size pants they are wearing, that's rude! So why ask what size dress I have? I'm still in shock. 

MrsAWarner Posts : 191 Registered: 2/18/08
Posted: May 13, 2008 6:42 PM Go to message in response to: uno

Sometimes I'm thankful for the people who say dumb crap, because they make the day so much more interesting. But most of the time, people make me crazy.

FH's uncle lives on the west coast and is the manager of a flower shop. FMIL is very close to him and so is FH. When we got engaged he sent us a list of all of the dates that he couldn't make the flight to P.A. to be at the wedding. Days like Mother's Day and Easter because they are very demanding days for florists. So we planned around those dates. We made sure not to have our wedding within a week of the 'forbidden dates'. FH's uncle came to visit a month ago and when he left he said "see you all next year!". FMIL then asked him what he meant by that and he said he wasn't coming back at all this year. And he isn't coming to the wedding. Aargh.

The kids thing drives me crazy too. Every time FMIL refers to her grandkids-FH's sister's kids-she makes sure to slip in a knowing look in my direction. This is supposed to make me understand that I am to start having kids soon. My mom makes me crazy too. She's forever asking when I'm going to give her some grandkids.

I am getting really tired of people telling me how stupid FH and I are going to look standing at the altar/dancing together/in the pictures because of our size difference. I thought it was kind of rude when one friend of mine told me we were going to look funny-but since then 3 more people have said the same thing! Huh, thanks everyone. Good to know you have to be the same or nearly the same height to be the perfect couple.

melluvrob Posts : 14 Registered: 5/12/08
Posted: May 13, 2008 7:59 PM Go to message in response to: nmtgirl

well i totally understand because my finance happens to have a aunt that used to be married to my uncle. she ran away and left my uncle with two kids. but, right before this happened i began dating my man and we ended up getting engaged. No one liked the idea except my parents, but everyone else said we were to young and he would just knock me up and leave me with the kids because it is in his blood. They also went into saying he will cheat on me like his father did and become addicted to alchol like him too.

SammiAnn Posts : 114 Registered: 3/4/08
Posted: May 14, 2008 1:32 PM Go to message in response to: MrsAWarner

I have been laughing all throughout this thread because a lot of them are things that I have heard too, ESPECIALLY the ones that I'm too young (I'm 21)...even complete strangers have said this to me, including a lady that we were doing wedding business with...way to keep my business.  I had one lady think that I was like 16 years old and told me that I should at least wait until H.S. graduation (I'm a senior in COLLEGE).  I mean, I figured that I would get the "You're too young" comments, but come on!

Anyways, some ones that I got told that I thought were funny:
Cousin: Sammiann, are you going to be living with him before you get married?

Me: No, probably not.  I think we are going to wait until we get married.

Cousin: You're making a big mistake then.  If you don't live with him first, then your marriage probably won't work because you don't know how he is.  You should live with him first to see if he is really the guy you want to marry.

**Not saying that living together before marriage is bad, but is it necessary to do before you get married??  I think she was just jealous because she had just broken up with her longtime BF and was upset that she isn't the one getting married.

I've also gotten :"You're throwing your life away.  How are you supposed to have any fun when you are married.  You better think this over"

June 7, 2008...here I come!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine