WHAT ARE YOU GRATEFUL FOR?

Online Users: 1,273 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 36

RanAway2Maine Posts : 2,359 Registered: 1/27/08
WHAT ARE YOU GRATEFUL FOR?
Posted: May 14, 2008 6:04 AM

It has been documented that people who live healthier and longer lives tend to have more positive attitudes.  For me, I have always thought it therapeutic to take a moment to remember the good things that are in my life, instead of dwelling on the negative things or what I don‘t have. So I thought it would be a good idea for us brides to, in the midst of chaotic wedding planning and reigning issues, take a moment to write about what is good in our lives and for what we are grateful. Obviously, we have all been blessed with a wonderful man we want to marry, but what are some other positive things in your life?

There is currently a thread on what we hate, which is a great vent.  But, let’s look at what we love now and for what are we grateful today. I’ll start.

I am grateful for this site and all the women who dedicate their wisdom, experience, time and sound advice to those of us who haven‘t “been there yet“, i.e. Mrs. D, Aunt, Artbride….Thank you..

I love that my Uncle Dave is coming to my wedding. I haven’t seen him in 25 years.

I love that I walked into David’s Bridal and picked my dress right off the rack with no alterations needed.

I love being Portuguese and able to tan for my wedding in my back yard.

I am grateful that I have no issues with any in-laws or with my wedding party.

Re: What Are You Grateful For?
Posted: May 14, 2008 7:24 AM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

I am grateful for a wonderful MOH who is actually enjoying helping with the wedding planning. 

I am thankful for a family that's supportive of FH and me, and for FIL's that seem to be wonderful. 

I'm thankful for my friends that know to give me hugs when I'm stressed out, and are always there to do so. 

I am grateful for my friends that can make me laugh, even when I'm crying.

Valerie

Wedding Date:  September 27, 2008

Love2u Posts : 1,661 Registered: 10/24/07
Posted: May 14, 2008 9:53 AM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

I am grateful that I have wonderful and loving children. 

I am grateful that I met such a wonderful man who loves me and my children.

I am grateful that my XH is active in my kids lives.

I am grateful that I have a close and loving family, that is always supportive of me.

I am grateful that FH's family has taken us in as part of their family and treats us (my kids and I) like we've always been part of the family.

I'm grateful that I have a good paying job and work with people that I like and respect.

I'm grateful that God has always taken me through the tough and difficult times in my life, and helped me be a better person for having gone through those challenges.

Love2uKiss

Message was edited by: Love2u

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: May 14, 2008 9:56 AM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

I am grateful for a recent wedding invitation from a friend I haven't spoken to much in 10 years.  I love that she wants me to be a part of her special day. 

I am grateful for my health.  I had a doctor check up yesterday, and all the barometers of health look pretty good. 

I am grateful that despite the school and credit card debt that I have, I am comparatively wealthy when you look at the world.  I have food on my plate, and a roof over my head. 

I've got more. . .I'll come back later.

BARACK THE VOTE!  www.barackobama.com

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: May 14, 2008 11:09 AM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

Very grateful that I have the kind of family that can stay in a house together .. 20 of us ... for three days.. and NOT want to kill each other. I love that I WANT to go away with my family; that I love hanging out with my cousins and my brother and my parents; and that if we werent related, I would choose them as friends anyway. They are THAT cool.

Grateful that my brother just announced he and his wife are having a baby. This in itself is awesome news. AND it also takes the pressure off me for awhile.

Grateful that my cousin is okay. She was having heart problems for awhile .. and shes only 38. Really scary stuff. But I think they have it under control now.

Grateful that I dicovered Zyrtec last week; which takes less time to work than stupid Clariton. So now I can actually BREATHE and my eyes might stop watering for two seconds.

Grateful that I finally get PAID tomorrow for the semester!!!!

"THE AISLE RUNNER" has officially launched ... www.myaislerunner.com

Time for Biggest Loser 6. TEAM KELL-LIZA will Cha-cha-cha our way to the TOP PRIZE!

Photobucket

shelsgrl Posts : 164 Registered: 5/31/07
Posted: May 14, 2008 11:18 AM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

What a great thread!!  I'm grateful for my family, who, like Kelley's, are my best friends and we love spending lots of time together.  I'm grateful for my sister-in-law, and for my best friend and cousin, who will be standing at the altar with me as I get married.  I'm grateful for my church and the incredible community we have there.  I'm grateful to my awesome coworkers who help me get through each day at my job, and I'm grateful to my boss for not being mad when I told her I'm leaving to go to school this summer!

"Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or even what you are. Rich is who you have beside you." ~JIK II

Posted: Jun 12, 2008 2:59 PM Go to message in response to: shelsgrl

I wish this thread would pick up! There are too many depressing, discouraging and angry threads out there right now.

I was reminded of how lucky I am to have such wonderful in-laws today. I lost my folks in 2005 and sometimes I feel like I'm talking to them when I talk to my FMIL and FFIL!

I am SO excited about my wedding next month and I am thrilled that it's almost here!

Someone else MUST have something good to write about!!

Linda Jo   

CyclistLover Posts : 1,183 Registered: 7/9/07
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 3:48 PM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

I am grateful that my DH finally loves my puppy as much as I think he should!!  LOL.

I am grateful that the nasty storms in my area didn't knock out the power at my house.

I am grateful that my evil astronomy class is almost over (it's not fun like you would think) and I just might pass it too!

Happiness is a puppy greeting you at the door

AND

Llama Jjamas

We2Heart Posts : 452 Registered: 10/11/07
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 5:03 PM Go to message in response to: CyclistLover

I'm kind of surprised this thread hasn't picked up more than it has.  It's always good to remind yourself of the good things in life.

I'm grateful for my family, even though I get annoyed with them, they are still there for everything and anything. 

I'm grateful for my FH who is slowly starting to realize how stressed I am about this wedding stuff and is starting to show initiative to help me.   I'm grateful that I've had a wonderful relationship with him and that I will get to spend my life with him.

I'm grateful for my job.  There are so many other people now without jobs, without homes, without enough food.  I'm grateful that I can have that and more. (And I just got a raise! woohoo!)

Speaking of money, I'm grateful that I have enough (through everyone's contributions) to have a large wedding.  I'm grateful that even though we don't need it, FIL's want to help pay for things.  I'm grateful that we don't have guest list issues anymore and that we can still accomodate over 300 people (told you it was a large wedding).

I'm grateful for my not-so-POS civic that gets at least 30mpg when gas prices seem to be increasing by the day.

I'm grateful that even though the past year and a half has had so many depressing and rough times, that it also came with the happiest times.  That I was blessed enough to have those happy moments. 

OK, I'm getting all mushy happy...haha.  That was exhilarating. 

**I love him like a fat kid loves cake**  Kiss

**It just hit me that in 3 months, I will become the Mrs. to my Mr.**

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 6:04 PM Go to message in response to: We2Heart

1. I am grateful CyclistLover convinced me to stay on brides.com after my disastrous first post. There are a lot of great people on here.

2. I am grateful that my husband and I beat the odds. We met online, dated long distance and now are happily married.

3. I am grateful that I didn't have any complications with my fiance visa or immigration. Green card arrived last week!

4. I am grateful that after riding the bus for 20 years I now have a new red mini cooper convertible that I paid for outright. Thank you crazy, crazy Vancouver real estate market.

5. I am grateful for the home I live in. It is beautiful and spacious and I no longer have to store my shoes under my bed.

6. I am grateful that my mom took my cats for me when I moved. It was a hard decision, but I couldn't put them through a 12 hour trip and possible quarantine in another city, or worse. They are together and very spoiled.

7. I am grateful that after many years of living in a cold and rainy climate I am now basking in the beautiful sun of the south. It required a complete wardrobe haul so....

8. I am grateful I had the resources to overhaul my wardrobe from mainly boots and jeans to shorts and sandals. I am also grateful i have a real closet to put this stuff in.

9. I am grateful for my health. Although I curse my big strong body when I am shopping or reading fashion magazines it has served me well.

10. I am grateful that although my DH and I are already married we are doing it all over again in August with our families, who will be meeting for the very first time!

I could go on and on but I will stop at 10. I try and write down 5 things every day and it sure can change your attitude. Once you know you have to come up with stuff every day you start to look for it, all the time.

MrsAWarner Posts : 191 Registered: 2/18/08
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 6:07 PM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

I really like this thread-I've been so stressed out with the wedding being a month away that sometimes I forget to say thanks everyday.

I'm grateful for my wonderful FH who has been there for me through lots of the bad times and even more of the good times.

I'm grateful for my family. They might make me crazy, but we all love eachother.

I'm grateful for my friends-both live-and-in-person and online.

I'm grateful for the home that I come home to each day and the car that gets me around. There are so many people out there who don't have these luxuries.

Posted: Jun 12, 2008 6:54 PM Go to message in response to: MrsAWarner

Oh it's SO nice to read about good things in others' lives. 

I also want to add that I feel so lucky to have a super 16 year old future stepson. I am grateful that we can talk intimately about the death of his Mom and his honest feelings about his Dad getting married. I feel blessed that he can talk to me about personal things and issues going on in his life. He knows he can talk to me about anything.

Mrslinnben Posts : 2,285 Registered: 6/4/07
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 9:30 PM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

I am greatful that I am realizing that my money situation isn't as bad as it has been. 

I am super lucky to have a handful of friends that I can call upon in a crisis & they will be there.  I am also greatful that I can be therefore my friends too.

There is so much more to be thankful for, and that I can pray and thank my God each day for his many blessings with out having to be worried.

Linny-SwannaWILL chop up the competition.

MrsWilliams2008 Posts : 1,431 Registered: 7/19/07
Posted: Jun 13, 2008 12:18 PM Go to message in response to: Mrslinnben

I thank God for supplying all of my needs and being gracious enough to let me have most of my wants.

Family and friends

My FH of course!!!

For having wedding planning not being anywhere near as stressful as I thought.... even though I still never want to do it again lol.

For having angels for bridesmaids

I'm super thankful for being able to pay for the wedding without financial strain.

For having a place like brides.com to vent and talk incessantly about wedding plans (and other issues). If I talked this much to other people about the wedding, I'd be one lonely gal, lol!!

http://www.theknot.com/ourwedding/RyAnne Stafford&RobertWilliams, Jr

R&R: June 21, 2008

We2Heart Posts : 452 Registered: 10/11/07
Posted: Jun 26, 2008 11:29 AM Go to message in response to: MrsWilliams2008

Bumping this because I wanted to count my blessings. 

FH and I have had it really good.  We both have great jobs and are living pretty well debt free.  No school loans (we both had great parents who footed the bill for that) and we're able to pay off our credit cards.  In fact the most of our worries consist of what to do with the dog when we decide to go away for a period of time.

We're trying to save for a home, but even right now, paying for a wedding and living comfortably (going out to eat when we want, buying what we want/need), we are still saving money.  If we cut back on our spending, and after the wedding costs disappear, we'll be saving a whole lot more.

We recieved an email from an older friend (old enough to be more of a parental figure) who has been going through some tough times in the past few years.  He is in real estate and obviously business isn't doing so well. In and out of jobs, etc. He recently had to serve an eviction notice to one of his tenants. Here is a clip of what he wrote:

"Anyway, I sent an eviction notice to my tennants in the house, and he put a gun to his head at 12:30 A.M. a few weeks ago.  SWAT teams surrounded the house with him yelling, "shoot me shoot me.  His wife wouldn't get away from him so they assumed he was holding her hostage.  She convinced him to put the gun down, and they cuffed her for not listening to them, he freaked out, and they tasered him.  So, as of Friday own my own house plus the 400k home with no occupant.  The good news is I've has 6 calls on it this week, but it has been a trip juggling all of this."

And on top of this, his position at the company he worked for was eliminated and therefore is unemployed once again.  Its hard to see his family (wife and 3 beautiful daughters) in this situation and we've offered our help if he needs it.

But it opened my eyes again to how blessed I am to be where I am now.  Others have so much else going on and are under so much pressure, that they get desperate.  I'm grateful for every opportunity and everything else I've been able to have in my life.

**I love him like a fat kid loves cake**  Kiss

**It just hit me that in 3 months, I will become the Mrs. to my Mr.**

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine