What to do with the dress?

Online Users: 1,269 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

ChrissLady Posts : 1,352 Registered: 4/5/06
What to do with the dress?
Posted: May 5, 2008 7:09 AM

Ok, the wedding's over, and now my dress is hanging in my closet.  What should I do with it?

WWW.MYWEDDING.COM/CHRISTOPHERANDMONICA

sdirks Posts : 5 Registered: 2/28/08
Re: What to do with the dress?
Posted: May 5, 2008 7:51 AM Go to message in response to: ChrissLady

Well, you have a lot of options!

If you're the sentimental type, you can take it to a professional dry cleaning service and have it preserved. Some places just put it in a display box that you can take out from under the bed and show to friends, while here in NYC I've seen places that sort of "shrink wrap" it and put it in a frame you can hang on the wall in your bedroom or hallway for everyone to see.

If you're not the sentimental type, you can stick it in a garment bag in the back of your closet and forget about it. LOL, I'm just kidding! There are a lot of charities that collect prom and bridal gowns for impoverished women; a quick google search will turn up similar charities from around the world. Donating is not only a nice thing to do; that expensive dress can become a tax write-off, too! Other options include giving it to a family member of selling it on Craigslist or Ebay.

The important thing isn't the dress--it's that you've found somebody to love you for you! Congrats! 

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
imghttp://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;8;116/st/20101012/e/The+BIG+Day/k/c024/event.png[/img]
[/url]

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: May 5, 2008 10:11 AM Go to message in response to: ChrissLady

Eventually I want to preserve mine.  Mine went through hell ever since I wore it! It was at my MIL's house for a while, then it rode home with us in the back of a Uhaul, then it was in a pile in my closet (in a garment bag). Then it was in my trunk for a couple weeks along w/ my groceries a few times. It's finally "resting" ay my moms safe and sound!

I am not really senitmental about it, but i've heard of people making Christening outfits and Communion Dresses out of them. I really like the idea of a Christening outfit since boy AND girls where "dresses" for that. So thats an idea....other than that I like the donating it too...

Formerly Ama102707

Mrslinnben Posts : 2,285 Registered: 6/4/07
Posted: May 5, 2008 12:40 PM Go to message in response to: ChrissLady

Mine is hanging at my parents house UNcleaned.  I don't know what to to with it either.

Linda 

Linny-Swanna will chop up the competition.

Ariana1228 Posts : 281 Registered: 3/2/08
Posted: May 5, 2008 1:14 PM Go to message in response to: ChrissLady

I'm not sure if you plan on having kids but you may want to hang on to it ... I am wearing my mother's wedding dress which was originally my grandmother's dress because it is different and gorgeous .... maybe you may want to pass it down or they may decide to wear it!

jessi1584 Posts : 13 Registered: 7/26/07
Posted: May 9, 2008 5:02 PM Go to message in response to: ChrissLady

It depends on if you want to keep it or not. If you do, get it preserved. If you don't, you can either donate it to a charity or goodwill; or you can sell it on ebay. I have seen a number of people do this, but I don't know if they sell or not. There is a way to check on this. If you have an ebay seller account, you can do a search for completed listings on wedding dresses. It will show you the ones that have sold (the price is in green) and the ones that have not (the price is in red). If you are planning to sell it, just do your research on pricing and listing it. (p.s. pictues help). I hope this helps.

40somethingbride Posts : 240 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: May 9, 2008 7:07 PM Go to message in response to: jessi1584

There is an organization called Brides for Breast Cancer. You have to ship the dress to them and send them 12 dollars towards cleaning. The organization travels around putting on runway shows and selling the dresses to brides for less than the purchase amount. All sides win-the organization gets a dress to sell, the buyer gets a great dress at discount, and the donator gets a tax deduction. Just Google "Brides for Breast Cancer"

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: May 9, 2008 8:22 PM Go to message in response to: 40somethingbride

This may be an offbeat idea, but if there's a community theater or a school drama department near you, they might be glad to have your dress.  Depending on the material and style, some bridal gowns can be restyled, dyed, or even cut apart to use the fabric to make other costumes.

"When Women Vote, We All Win!"

EveT

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine