Incorporating crystal into decorations

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 13

MrsMcDAtLast Posts : 860 Registered: 1/1/07
Incorporating crystal into decorations
Posted: Mar 22, 2007 4:43 PM

Hello everyone!

I love the look of crystal; I find it very beautiful and elegant, but I'm not sure how to incorporate it into decorations. My colors are lavender and pale green (like sage). I'd love to have sparkling crystal here and there in the wedding, without it being too expensive. Any ideas? Thanks! :) 

Re: Incorporating crystal into decorations
Posted: Mar 22, 2007 5:17 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcDAtLast

I, too am using crystal in my wedding. I have swarovski crystals on my dress so that's what inspired my crystal desire. I am having some crystal sprigs put into my bouquet. I'm also sprinkling some "crystal" pebbles around the centerpieces that I'll get from Michaels or Wal mart. We're also doing a dessert buffet table so my bowls will be polycarbonate so they look crystal like but not breakable. I don't think we're doing any of the fine crystal stuff except for maybe our champagne flutes or something like that.

Whatever you do w/ the crystal i would put it somewhere where the light would catch it. That'll make a difference.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Mar 23, 2007 1:13 AM Go to message in response to: MrsMcDAtLast

You could check on renting crystal candelabra--there are some that hold both flowers and candles. Or, you could trim candelabras with antique crystals (inexpensive and availavle at flea markets, yard sales, etc--a fun project). You could put crystals (or there's a gel that looks like crystals) in glass vases to hold your flowers. Even a few crystals in a glass cylinder will add sparkle to a tall pillar candle and will make an elegant centerpiece. I can send you pictures that incorporate crystals--just contact me through my website and I'll send them right out to you.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

CanDo Posts : 5 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: May 8, 2008 12:18 AM Go to message in response to: MrsMcDAtLast

If you get crystals, get swarovski.  It makes rainbows and sparkles much better than the cheap stuff.  They cost more, but each one gives you more bang for your buck so you can use less.  You can save money by buying bigger swarovski crystals for lots of sparkle and less money (smaller crystals end up causing you to use more).  There are some great crystal decorations ideas and pics at www.etherealdecor.com and they have good prices on the crystals loose and connected into chains or ropes.

kclp33 Posts : 25 Registered: 10/11/07
Posted: Jun 27, 2008 12:42 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcDAtLast

I am putting some crystals in the bottom of my tall centerpieces, with tall calla lillies and willow branches in an 18" pilsner vase. I am putting a light in the bottom to light them up!!! I got the crystal rocks at hobby lobby and the lights at JoAnn Fabrics.
We tie the knot August 2, 2008!!!

Elbelle77 Posts : 222 Registered: 1/24/08
Posted: Jun 27, 2008 12:48 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcDAtLast

I'm using crystals too.  When I saw my florist at a bridal expo she had a tall floral centerpiece on display that had about 5 hanging crystals haning out of the top of the vase.  I saw it and knew she had to be my florist and that was the look I wanted.  She said that adding the crystals to each centerpiece would add $25 per centerpiece!  But if I brought in my own centerpieces to use, it would be a lot less.  I looked on ebay and found a number of people selling hanging crystals from old chandeliers.

Here's an example: http://cgi.ebay.com/54-Old-Crystal-Prisms-Hanging-Lamp-Chandelier-Parts-NR_W0QQitemZ180255705650QQihZ008QQcategoryZ1407QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But as it turns out, my mom had just ordered hanging crystals from Frontgate to use on her xmas tree.  Since it was well past xmas, she got a great deal on them and said I could use them for my wedding :)

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do!

Message was edited by: Elbelle77

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Jun 27, 2008 2:28 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcDAtLast

I read on another board that the bride was rolling her stems in glue and then rolling them in crystals. Sounded pretty if it was pulled off right.

Mrs. Pinky

Posted: Jun 27, 2008 5:04 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcDAtLast

Hey Mrs. McD,

I was watching Fantasy Wedding on HGTV today and they made a wish tree for the wedding.  They bought a manzanita branch and decorated it with hanging crystals.  Then they had cards and ribbons nearby where guests could write down wishes for the couple or special memories. 

Unfortunately they don't seem to have a picture on the website, but here's how to make it:

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/ah_entertaining_occasions/article/0,1801,HGTV_3115_5877787_06,00.html

LinzZ Posts : 683 Registered: 12/13/07
Posted: Jun 28, 2008 11:54 AM Go to message in response to: MrsMcDAtLast

I bought a Swarovski Crystal Christmas Tree topper for my cake topper. I also bought bunches of Swarovski crystals (blue to match my color), wired them up, then stuck them into the feathers in my centerpieces. Also, to add a crystal look to my cake, we had edible glitter and at the base of each layer, I used rock candy. It added some texture and looked like chunks of crystal on my cake.

Posted: Jun 29, 2008 12:17 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcDAtLast

I'd like my bouquet to be white/ivory roses an white hydrangea, but also wanted to incorporate crystals into it, so I thought I would do the stephanotis with the crystal inserts.  Now, I'm considering just sticking with the roses and hydrangea and using swarvoski bouquet jewelry for the crystals.  Kind of like this:

bouquet jewelry

Has anyone else done this and have pictures?

Amaryillis Posts : 139 Registered: 6/10/08
Posted: Jul 3, 2008 2:58 PM Go to message in response to: Elbelle77

You will need a power drill (preferably corded so you won't have to recharge), wire (I like the skinny wire in the beading dept at Wal-Mart), a hook from the hardware store (like to hang a heavy plant) and the crystal beads of your choice (available lots of places).  Cut your wire about 3x longer than your finished piece should be, bend it in half; insert the screw end of the hook into the drill where the bit should go, thread your bead (or beads) onto the wire, take one bead to the bend, hook the bend on the hook and with pliers, hold on to the loose ends and pull the trigger!  You will have beautiful crystal strand to put in your floral arrangements, bouquets, corsages, bouts, and pew bows and the best part is that you did it yourself!
Have a blessed day!Cool

closetalker Posts : 10 Registered: 7/2/08
Posted: Jul 12, 2008 8:49 PM Go to message in response to: Amaryillis

Amaryillis, do you have a picture of what you just described with the crystals! I would love to see it!  I am visual and trying hard to imagine what you are talking about!

LindaWalsh Posts : 1 Registered: 2/19/09
Posted: Feb 19, 2009 12:24 PM Go to message in response to: CanDo

My friend is using crystals too...but swarovski stuffs get extremely expensive very quick.

ADazzlingEvent Posts : 69 Registered: 4/24/08
Posted: Feb 19, 2009 3:19 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcDAtLast

My theme is "bling bling" and here are my DIY vases.

vase.JPG

5 months and counting!!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine