My stepdad was ordained online

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

kroberts Posts : 443 Registered: 7/30/07
My stepdad was ordained online
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 5:45 PM

My stepdad was ordained online. His official title is "Reverend." I thought he was joking when he handed me the paper he printed off the computer, and I said, "Oh that's so funny. Thanks, but no thanks. I'd prefer someone more "official." We continued to talk, and he said, "Well, I can always get the official certificate from the state, but I could officially marry you. I'll even work on my Spanish." I laughed it off.

My mom later told me that he was serious, and he was ordained as his wedding present to us. That way my FH and I don't have to spend money on an officiant, because he would do it for free...He's my stepdad, and I want to involve him in the wedding. I don't think it would be appropriate for him to walk me down the aisle because I have a good relationship with my dad...but is there a happy medium? I certainly don't want to hurt his feelings, but then again he hasn't said anything else about it to me.

Any advice or suggestions? Anyone have friends that were ordained online that are performing their ceremony?

April 4, 2009 is the big day!

URL=""IMGhttp://www.whenismywedding.com/signature/8d168531c3fa9d71.gif[/IMG][/URL] Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

Stevesbride Posts : 79 Registered: 1/1/07
Re: My stepdad was ordained online
Posted: May 7, 2008 9:02 PM Go to message in response to: kroberts

Hi, my FH husband was ordained online in order to perform a friends cermony, but it was at there request, they wanted someone who knew the both of them and was close.  Plus neither one of them attended a church and were raised different religions and all the ministers they asked to perform the ceremony either said no or wanted to charge them a very large fee.

mrspianoman Posts : 62 Registered: 3/25/07
Posted: May 16, 2008 12:01 AM Go to message in response to: Stevesbride

He is trying to give you a very beautiful gift and your space when you said no; he must care for you a lot.  My DH and I had wanted someone in the family to marry us, so I asked an uncle who told me no, we weren't "christian" enough.  It was very hurting and instead my new grandfather-in-law married us and it was beautiful and touching and the entire family was impressed that we had something so family oriented.

But only do it if you feel comfortable, but there is nothing wrong with including your family in every aspect of the wedding. 

rooney08 Posts : 4 Registered: 6/12/08
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 4:20 PM Go to message in response to: kroberts

do any of you all know of anyone else who is becoming ordained online?

rooney08 Posts : 4 Registered: 6/12/08
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 4:21 PM Go to message in response to: mrspianoman

do you know anyone else who has gone through the ordination process online? i'm interested in seeing what their persepective or experiences were like before I go any futher with it

Posted: Jun 12, 2008 5:15 PM Go to message in response to: rooney08

My stepdad didn't have any experience ministering or leading a congregation. On a whim he went online and found the Universal Life Church www.themonastery.org 

He was asked a few questions, given guidelines to follow - you can't ordain your dog - and he was ordained. If my stepdad wanted to hold services in the house here, we'd get a tax break...

April 4, 2009 is the big day!

Galawedding Posts : 1 Registered: 7/13/08
Posted: Jul 13, 2008 9:08 PM Go to message in response to: kroberts

I know that this thread is a month old, but I feel this is important information that could have a potentially negative impact on your big day.

The only approved website for the ULC is ULC.net.  themonastery.org had a big falling out with the main church years ago and they have since severed their ties.  This may mean that they have not recorded their ordinations with the ULC or another church and may not be legal.  Sometime in 2006, a marriage in Pennsylvania was nullified on the grounds that the ordination from the monastary was invalid.

source:http://www.ulc.net/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=29&nav=0 

080808bride Posts : 151 Registered: 5/16/07
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 12:17 PM Go to message in response to: Galawedding

Our best man was recently ordained online (I am not sure through which site) but is is a non-believer, and it was all pretty random. He offered to officiate our wedding, but we declined because we had already chosen the pastor. However, a week ago, my friends got married and our BM was their minister. They called the county court house and asked before hand if it was legit, and they said yes. So, he married them!! Whenever I tell anyone they almost fall over laughing because he is NOT anything like a pastor to say the least!!!!!

Posted: Jul 24, 2008 7:26 PM Go to message in response to: 080808bride

The license came through. We decided to get married on Jun 23rd. We have the license, and DH is on my insurrance, name change is pending. So hopefully it sticks even though my stepdad went through .org

April 4, 2009 is the BIG day!

sblumjones Posts : 7 Registered: 9/30/07
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 7:40 AM Go to message in response to: kroberts

every state is different w/diff rules so make sure you check where your state falls.  we were living in ny and had a friend do this but they had to also register at the court house as well or do some extra step.  we're getting married in florida and we don't have to do anything extra.  some states don't count it at all.  we've only used the ucl/ulc as did our friends in nyc.  they basically ask you for your name and address and presto, you're done.  

good luck!

newsjunkie Posts : 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Aug 23, 2008 3:02 AM Go to message in response to: kroberts

For a number of reasons we asked a lifelong friend of my dad's to get ordained online and perform our ceremony and it was truly one of the best things we did at our wedding, I wouldn't have changed it for the world.  Here are a few reasons why:

- We are not religious AT ALL and having someone we know essentially just reading a script meant we (read: I) had complete control over ever word that was said so if we wanted a 100% secular wedding we could have it.  (We got married in an area so religious even the JoP's won't marry you w/out mentioning Jesus and/or God- things that would have made us VERY uncomfortable.)

- Our family friend was in every one of those pics which made it SO much more special to look back on than to have some stranger who I only met that one time.

- We didn't have to pay him!

- Since he was going to be a guest anyway we didn't have to invite an extra person AND their S.O.- both strangers- which is, technically, what you are supposed to do.  And where do you sit them?  So glad we dodged that bullet!

All in all I am really glad I did it.  Since you do have a good relationship with him (and also with your own dad who will do those traditional things) I think you should really think this idea through- it could make your wedding all that much more intimate and personal and memorable.  Let us know!!!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine