All white?! Doubts about my red bouquet.

Online Users: 1,354 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 35

We2Heart Posts : 452 Registered: 10/11/07
All white?! Doubts about my red bouquet.
Posted: May 6, 2008 5:29 PM

OK so during hair trial #1 my stylist and I got to talking about the flowers for my wedding.  I mentioned what I had planned for my bouquet - Dark red Mini Callas, with two-toned ivory and red roses, and purple and ivory fillers.  And for my bridesmaids, they will have cream bouquets.  I look at her and she's got this awful disgusted look on her face. 

So I ask, "What's wrong with that combination?"

She goes on about how her best friend is a florist and she's worked closely with her on multiple weddings.  Her florist friend always recommends the bride to have an all white bouquet.  Why? 

"You're all soft and white and then you have this...blah...of color and it ruins the picture.  I've seen so many pictures and the all white ones are just gorgeous."

What the heck?!  I should mention my mom was there with me when my stylist said this, so now she starts thinking I should change my flowers.  And she's pushing it on me, even though "this is your decision...I have no preference..."  No preference my butt.  If you really didn't have a preference you wouldn't mention it twice a day!

Anyway, I'm just wondering everyone's opinion here.  I am doing a very formal wedding.  Traditional in most aspects.  Diamond white dress, cathedral veil, etc. Would it be all that distracting to have a colored bouquet? Help...

**I love him like a fat kid loves cake**  Kiss

**It just hit me that in 4 months, I will become the Mrs. to my Mr.**

Beachwed Posts : 782 Registered: 9/19/06
Re: All white?! Doubts about my red bouquet.
Posted: May 6, 2008 5:39 PM Go to message in response to: We2Heart

I had a cream colored bouquet with colors throughout it. I was told by many people that they loved it, it matched my husband's tie and brought the colors together. That and I just didn't care about all those rules that people have.

Here's some pictures I'm finding, if it helps. Or PM me if you want a picture of my bouquet. I think it looks lovely, I've seen a lot of weddings with bright bouquets.

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: May 6, 2008 5:40 PM Go to message in response to: We2Heart

Dear We2Heart,  "Her florist friend always recommends the bride to have an all white bouquet. Why?"  Why indeed?  I have been married 4 times and I've never had a florist recommend an all-white bouquet.  Sure, some brides may choose this, but just look at any bridal magazine and you'll see bouquets in all different colors.

That hair stylist sounds a bit obnoxious.  Not sure I would work with her.

As for your mother, oh my, don't you wish that if the stylist had had to open her mouth she had done it out of earshot!

"When Women Vote, We All Win!"

EveT

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: May 6, 2008 6:28 PM Go to message in response to: We2Heart

I think your stylist is trying to drum up some business for her friend.

I had yellow roses and red carnations in my bouquet.  My bridesmaids had white roses, they wore red dresses.  The MOH wore a different dress but she had red and white roses. 

I have only been to one wedding where the bride had an all white bouquet and it was a white wedding.  Everything was white.

Kenny and Me Perfect Together,  10 years and counting.

kowgirlbride Posts : 52 Registered: 3/30/08
Posted: May 7, 2008 12:49 AM Go to message in response to: We2Heart

My Mother and Grandmother did wedding flowers for many years. They always recommended a colored bouquet. Their reasoning? A white bouquet would not stand out against a white dress, both in person and in pictures. If you want a red bouquet, (by the way, I think callas are beautiful!) then by all means go for it!!!

Message was edited by: kowgirlbride

SocalGal Posts : 456 Registered: 6/3/06
Posted: May 7, 2008 2:17 AM Go to message in response to: We2Heart

Simple answer...screw the stylist, do what you want.  A "blob of color" adds some visual interest to an otherwise monochromatic ensemble, and will looks great in both B&W pictures and full color ones.  I choose a white bouquet, but that's mainly because white orchids are my favorite, and I had some color in my gown.  It's your decision, and I think your bouquet sounds gorgeous.

True love never has a happy ending; true love never ends.

Posted: May 7, 2008 5:12 AM Go to message in response to: We2Heart

I am having a black and white wedding. Each bride's maid is carrying a different color of rose; yellow, orange, pink and red. My bouquet is all those colors along with white accents. I can't wait... I think it will be fabulous.

Signed, Budget Bride..

www.thumbsuporpantsdown.com

Have a great day,

Becca-

Posted: May 7, 2008 7:19 AM Go to message in response to: We2Heart

Don't listen to your hairstylist!  I've seen TONS of wedding and pictures with various colored bouquets.  My friends wedding I was MOH at had burnt orange roses with some kind of red berry - very pretty.  My bouquet isn't all white... it's mostly white, but with some burgundy accents throughout.  Do whatever you want for your wedding flowers - I'm sure it will look beautiful, and it is YOUR wedding! 

Best of luck!

Valerie

Wedding Date:  September 27, 2008

RomanticGirl Posts : 777 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: May 7, 2008 7:22 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Ask yourself: why didn't I pick all white to begin with? Why did I choose to have a colorful bouquet? Chances are these questions will help you remember your reasons for your personal preferences.

Personally, I think white bouquets are ok, but I actually don't like how they seem to blend with the dress. I find white flowers also make me think of sadness....not sure why. Maybe I went to a funeral when I was little and it was all white flowers, but I seem to associate them with that sort of ambiance. So I knew I wanted colors in my bouquet. I wanted it to look like I may have been walking through a garden and just picked some wild flowers. My theme was very formal and a little fairy tale, so I wanted it to look magical and enchanted forrestish. So that was what spurred me to pick the flowers I did.

Getting clear about why you chose that in the first place may help you feel more secure about it. And maybe look at lots of wedding pics to see if your preference has changed.

81608Bride Posts : 91 Registered: 12/2/07
Posted: May 7, 2008 8:19 AM Go to message in response to: We2Heart

You should go with what you want and not listen to them.  My bouquet will be white roses but we are also adding in various blues & purples because I didn't want all white against my all white dress.  My BM's are wearing periwinkle.  They will carry bouquets that are mainly blues & purples with some white carnations added in.  My MOH will have the same except I am using white roses instead of carnations to make hers a bit different.

MrsBrock2008 Posts : 101 Registered: 10/9/06
Posted: May 7, 2008 8:34 AM Go to message in response to: We2Heart

I think your red bouquet will be breafitul , I love red so my bouquet will be red rose, white roses and baby breaths. My bridesmaids will have white callie lily. What type of bouquet you carry should be your personally choice. Not what someone recommend.  

C James Laughing

Laurenc126 Posts : 51 Registered: 11/14/07
Posted: May 7, 2008 8:42 AM Go to message in response to: We2Heart

I am carrying green and white calla lillies and the BM are carrying only white calla lillies. I think it'll be nice to have a little color.

We2Heart Posts : 452 Registered: 10/11/07
Posted: May 7, 2008 9:25 AM Go to message in response to: Laurenc126

Thanks a ton ladies! I feel a lot better now about my bouquets.

I agree, she may have been trying to get business for her friend.  She just looked so appalled by what I was describing, it made me think twice. 

I did ask my florist her opinion. She said an all white bouquet would look really nice and I would still be the focus.  But she did not mention anything about the colored bouquet being distracting. 

I do value an honest open opinion from my vendors.  I trust that they know what their doing because it's what they do all the time.  So if my ideas will clash with something, I'd want them to express that.  Which she does.  I've changed a couple things because of her opinion.  But I've also kept certain things because I want them.  Example:  She suggested the groom to have a flower from my bouquet. FH wanted a white calla, but I have no white callas in my bouquet.  We stuck with the white calla because thats what FH wanted. 

My reasoning behind having a colored bouquet is because I didn't want the flowers to disappear into my white dress.  Also, I wanted the contrasting but coordinating colors between the bridesmaids and myself; they have ivory bouquets, I have a mostly red one, and my MOH has mostly ivory with a few red mini callas.

As for what ends up being the focal point in the pictures, I'm going to leave that up to the photographer. She should know how to focus on what is important.  If it's about the flowers, it's about the flowers, if it's about me, it's about me. 

Laughing Thanks again ladies!!

**I love him like a fat kid loves cake**  Kiss

**It just hit me that in 4 months, I will become the Mrs. to my Mr.**

MiJoMy Posts : 245 Registered: 2/15/07
Posted: May 7, 2008 9:25 AM Go to message in response to: We2Heart

I think the actual effect of white on white is washed out looking flowers

Congrats and Best of Luck to All.

FALLbrideINLOVE Posts : 1,056 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: May 7, 2008 10:03 AM Go to message in response to: We2Heart

i had to have color!!! i am already pale wearing a pale dress.  i would have looked like zombie bride with all white.

this is a pic from my wedding day

now i do like all white though.  on some brides it just looks heavenly.  

choose what you want for yourself!  everyone has opinions when you are planning a wedding but the day is for you and your FH!

:) 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine