I'm back! With our wedding story and a few pics (more soon!)

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 57

CyclistLover Posts : 1,183 Registered: 7/9/07
Re: I'm back! With our wedding story and a few pics (more soon!)
Posted: May 6, 2008 10:14 AM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Congrats Artbride - loved all the details and you looked gorgeous!!!

Happiness is a puppy greeting you at the door

AND

Llama Jjamas

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: May 6, 2008 11:45 AM Go to message in response to: CyclistLover

Aww, thank you everyone! I'm in the process of bothering my photographer and everyone else I know for more photos, since I only have the ones that my BMs took at the reception so far. My brother took about a million, but I think he's sending me a CD instead of emailing them, so I should have them later in the week. Professional ones should be later this week or early next week.

I have a cute tear-worthy update on my grandmother and the bouquet. Anyway, my grandmother has Alzeimer's, which is why she couldn't travel to come to the wedding. We just didn't want to confuse her, especially if she was having a poor day and didn't recognize any of us. (Sometimes she does and sometimes she doesn't - luckily, she DID have a good day a while back and asked my mom to give me her pearls to wear for the wedding.) Anyway, I talked to my mom last night and asked whether she knew what the flowers were for. My mom said that she asked where they had come from every morning, but after being told what they were, she was always very happy and remembered for the rest of the day. Every day that she had the bouquet, she told my mom the same story. She was married in secret during the Depression, since she needed her job to help support her mother until her younger siblings were old enough to work. They had to keep their marriage a secret because she would have lost her job if it was known that she was married. She told my mom that story every time my mom explained where the flowers came from because she was so happy that she finally had a wedding bouquet, since she never had one. I'm so glad I thought of sending it to her, but I really wish she could have seen our wedding!

Oh - and while I remember, I have another funny story. So DH has worn this silver Celtic ring on the middle finger of his left hand since his high school graduation (ten years) and NEVER takes it off. A few months ago, he decided that he was going to stop wearing it once he had his wedding ring - it's a nice ring, but it's really lost all its sentimental value by now, so he figured he might as well stop wearing it so it doesn't rub the wedding ring. Anyway, somehow he forgot to try to take it off until the morning of the wedding - and I totally didn't even think of it. So about half an hour before I was going to leave for the ceremony, I get a frantic call from him, telling me that he's tried EVERYTHING, but can't get the ring off! The Best Man told me later that they tried to get the ring off for several HOURS before that - trying soap, hot water, cold water, Windex, EVERYTHING, including soaking his hand in ice water for as long as he could stand it. It was SO FUNNY that he thought I was going to be mad at him for not being able to get it off! He kept double-checking with the photographer, 'Are you SURE you can Photoshop it out? Really? You're ABSOLUTELY SURE?' Aww, it was very funny. I guess we have to get it cut off, now, but we haven't gotten around to it yet. Do you go to a jeweler or a doctor to get a ring cut off? What a ridiculous question! :)

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Posted: May 6, 2008 12:43 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

My great aunt has alzheimer's disease, and it's so sad when she doesn't know us (although there are funny stories too).  It's so very sweet that you sent her your flowers.  I love her story about the depression and her marriage.  It's definately an "awwww" moment. Laughing

http://www.mywedding.com/robertandginger

slsjdc5 Posts : 388 Registered: 9/23/07
Posted: May 6, 2008 2:23 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

All your stories are so cute!!  Makes me wish my Grandmother was still around to share things like that with me!

Congratulations and I hope you have a long and happy marriage!

Can't wait to see more pics :)

♥LLAMA JJAMMIES Tongue out

LOST SOME OF MY ASS DURING BL5--iT rOcKeD MY sOcKs!!

Posted: May 6, 2008 11:13 PM Go to message in response to: slsjdc5

Holy crap - I forgot to tell you guys one of the funniest things that I messed up! So this isn't an update, but just a funny thing I remembered.

So our final meal count wasn't due to the caterer until the Thursday before the wedding. I tried to give it to her early, but she kept saying, 'Your numbers might still change and I don't need it until Thursday, so let's just wait until then.' So I guess I gave her a 'preliminary count' on Monday, but she wanted to confirm it again on Thursday. 

Thursday morning, my phone was ringing off the hook. I must have talked to every single wedding vendor, their assistants, and every family member at least twice between 10 Am and 3 Pm. Anyway, the caterer called back to confirm the guest count while I was on the other line with the photographer. We actually HAD heard from a couple people that they couldn't make it at the last minute, so our count was down by 3 or 4 people. So I opened my 'guest meal count' spreadsheet (which I had updated as I heard about the last-minute declines), totaled the numbers in my 'Beef' and 'Salmon' columns, and gave those numbers to the caterer. After getting off the phone with both the caterer and photographer, however, I thought to myself, 'Hmm, that total number still seems a little off. I could SWEAR we had a few more people coming.' So I totaled the columns again and got the same numbers. I double-checked the names to make sure I hadn't accidentally deleted someone, and I still got the same numbers. I even printed the spreadsheet out and counted the numbers in my columns BY HAND, since I was totally convinced that Excel was adding wrong...but I STILL got the same numbers. I thought to myself, 'Hmm, that's weird. This is completely right, but I could SWEAR that we should have two more people.'

DO YOU SEE WHERE I'M GOING WITH THIS? I didn't!

I finally decided that my brain must have been trying to feed my Brides.com ghost friends or something, and I accepted that the numbers that I had added up about fifteen times were probably correct. I went on with whatever I was doing Thursday, did a bunch of stuff on Friday, went to the rehearsal...and then as our food was being served at the rehearsal dinner, I realized why my numbers were off by two. Oh yes - I was using the guest list spreadsheet to add up the meal choices...AND OF COURSE I HADN'T PUT MYSELF AND HUBBY ON THE GUEST LIST SPREADSHEET, because that wouldn't make any sense, as we're not our own guests!

Ladies, I am DEVASTATED that one of my spreadsheets failed me! I can tell you that I am NOT using the 'thank-you-note spreadsheet' that I had prepared in advance. :)

Heh...anyway, due to the aforementioned disaster story about everyone being really late to the RD, I didn't get out of there until it was too late to call the caterer about my stupid mistake. So I called at 8 AM the morning of the wedding and talked to the head chef, who was the only person there at that point. He took care of it and the catering manager thought the whole thing was pretty funny. 

Anyway - I can't believe I forgot about that when I was telling you all the whole story! That's the best part! Of course, always the ridiculous problems for me - never a 'normal' wedding issue! :) 

DaisypathWedding Ticker

MrsDupont Posts : 1,574 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: May 7, 2008 9:23 AM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Hey! I love your dress... looks like you had good times... Congrats!

***LLAMA JJAMMIES***

RoBelle Posts : 1,236 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: May 7, 2008 9:47 AM Go to message in response to: MrsDupont

19.gif

YOU FORGOT TO INCLUDE YOURSELF AND HUBBY, THAT IS SO FREAKIN FUNNY!!!

Shhh. . . we ALMOST did the SAME THING!!! Counted the list forwards, backwards, sideways, upside down, and still couldn't figure out why our count was off.  DUH. . . we gotta eat too!!!!

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: May 7, 2008 9:50 AM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

My FSIL actually warned me about this since she did it. She counted 3 times, once she forgot her and her FH, once she mistakenly counted them twice and then she finally got it right.

"I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible." - Billy Crystal, When Harry met Sally 

Posted: May 7, 2008 3:30 PM Go to message in response to: Bride2008

Phew! I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who forgot to count herself and hubby! I blame it on the caterer for wanting the numbers while I was busy doing 15 other things!

Sigh...I want our photos. I don't want to rush an artist at work, but I WANT THEM! :)

DaisypathWedding Ticker

5in3 Posts : 806 Registered: 8/15/06
Posted: May 7, 2008 3:51 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Hey Art:

I am so glad your day was amazing, and I am glad you had a great time.  You look beautiful, and I couldn't even tell you sister had a banged up nose.

Me, my honey and our kitty make 3.

Posted: May 7, 2008 3:53 PM Go to message in response to: 5in3

Thanks, 5in3! How did yours go?

DaisypathWedding Ticker

MuffinB Posts : 778 Registered: 7/13/07
Posted: May 7, 2008 10:29 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Awesome story!

Congratulations and here's to a long and happy marriage!

Go to fullsize image

AmyDR Posts : 452 Registered: 1/6/08
Posted: May 7, 2008 11:05 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Any fire dept should also have ring cutters to cut the ring off if you want to try that route.  If you lived near me I'd offer to cut it off for you.

When is my wedding

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine