Engagement photo clothes?

Online Users: 1,237 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

Kirbyyy Posts : 18 Registered: 12/2/07
Engagement photo clothes?
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 12:12 AM

Hi everyone! I also posted this in photography, but maybe this si the better spot for my bundle of questions. My fiance and I are having our engagement photos taken in a few weeks, and I am kind of at a loss as to what to wear. What did you wear and what was the setting? Did you bring a change of clothes? What did your FH wear? Also, any changes you would have made after the fact? We will probably do the majority of our pictures at the lake, or outside somewhere. Y'all are the best :)

Kirby ..... McCasland <3

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Re: Engagement photo clothes?
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 12:53 AM Go to message in response to: Kirbyyy

Hi, Kirby --  I'm pretty happy with the way our engagement photos turned out (see my profile for the "official" one) and have done quite a lot of work with photographers setting up shoots, so here are my tips.

Wear clothing that's more classic than trendy, styles that won't look dated next year -- same for hair style, jewelry, makeup, etc.  Lipstick in the red family is good.  White blouse/shirt generally bad.  Solids are better than stripes, prints, or plaids.  Consider not only your individual outfits but also how the colors in your outfit will harmonize with your FH -- you don't want to be overly matchy-matchy, but if one of you wears primary colors and the other muted neutrals, it will look odd.  Don't forget to plan whether FH needs a haircut beforehand, and if so, it shouldn't be the day before.  Allow 5-7 days for it to grow out a bit.

I would bring 2-3 changes of clothes and let your photographer advise you on what will look best.  Have photos done in more than one outfit if there's time and the photog thinks it's a good idea.

Since you're planning to be outdoors, try to schedule it in the late afternoon, as the light is most flattering then.  Also consider humidity, mosquitoes, any other outdoor factors that might come into play.

P.S. Our entire shoot was in the photographer's studio.  Getting the dog in there was quite an experience, I'll tell you.

Hope this helps!

"When Women Vote, We All Win!"

EveT

Abc12345678 Posts : 272 Registered: 2/25/07
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 12:58 AM Go to message in response to: Kirbyyy

Kirbyyy Posts : 18 Registered: 12/2/07
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 3:10 PM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

EveT, thank you for the advice! FH has no hair really, he's a DPS Officer sooooo I'm actually pushing for some growth! I can't imagine bringing our dogs Sealed. They are angels until you take them out of their element! I would love to though. Actually in a bridal, I am standing at the edge of the river bottom, looking in the valley, and my golden retriever is sitting beside me looking the same direction. It almost made me cry!

Anyway, I also like how the black shirts look.  I really just want it to look like "us", just not in our cow-feeding clothes or what we wear on  a daily basis! This makes no sense! I'll quit now, thanks ladies!

Kirby ..... McCasland <3

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 6:03 PM Go to message in response to: Kirbyyy

My photos are at http://www.bnicholsphotos.smugmug.com/Couples  I'm Ginger.  We're the first ones listed.  If you google "engagement photo tips" you will get TONS of what to's and how to's.  I don't have professional experience so I'll just tell you what I know. lol  All just IMO so please other posters don't get offended.

Patterns are bad.  About the only pattern that I've seen look good is a stripe, but not a busy stripe.  You can see some other people on the page my photos are on went with patterns and all matched.  I hate it when couples match....I think it steals your identity somehow. 

I don't think that the colors matter as long as you look good in them.  I was in Ivory white the entire time.  I loved it.  I felt so pretty.  My skin looked tan and my hair wasn't washed out by wearing a bad color. Then in contrast, my fave engagement photo from a friend of mine is where they are both in bright colors...she was in bright blue and it just made her eyes pop in every photo! 

Personal style.  As long as it isn't hoochie or REALLY far out there, wear what makes you comfortable.  I've never seen the point of buying clothes for a photoshoot.  I've never worn a pair of khakis in my life so why wear them for E-photos?  I wore clothes from my own closet.  I loved my dress.  It's a BCBG I've owned for like 4 years so it's really cozy and broken in.  My shirt I'm wearing with the jeans is just comfy and kinda sexy.  I wanted to look like myself.  I wanted to be relaxed.  The tank top isn't form fitting so I felt OK sitting in any position and didn't worry about looking fat.  You know how fat always pops up in weird places in camera angles. haha

Hair-  Florida is the humidity capital of the world.  I opted to curl my hair and let the curls fall out on their own.  It kind of gives it that relaxed beachy look.  I wasn't going to straighten it and have it POOF up on me.

I had 2 outfits that I used in the pics.  I carried 4, total waste of time.  Just find what makes you feel comfy and look your best.  Same for your FH.  I wasn't going to yell at him because he wanted to wear his ragged out shorts.  And he looked cute in them...natural, the way I'm used to seeing him.

Good luck and sorry for the long post.

http://www.mywedding.com/robertandginger

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 6:14 PM Go to message in response to: Kirbyyy

My husband and I like to dress up so I wore a dress and he wore a suit. They were clothes we would normally wear. We decided to go opposite bridal - i wore black and he wore white. I am also white and he is black so we like the contrast. Plus I like all black as it can be very slimming. We did our engagement photos in our home as that is where we felt most comfortable. I moved here from Vancouver Canada and we have a very large mural of Vancouver in our living room so we took photos in front of that so we could incorporate a little bit of Canada into USA. My friends back home were quite excited so see the pics of Van. If you can pick somewhere that is significant to you, and not just the most popular spot for photos. Also our photographer is 5' even and I was 5'11" in my heels and husband is 6'8" so we offered our photographer a step stool so she wouldn't be taking "up the nose" photos. She was actually really happy to have the ladder.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine