Average Carat Weight

Online Users: 1,249 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 120

CBM09 Posts : 121 Registered: 3/7/08
Re: Average Carat Weight
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 9:26 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

My center stone is 1.01 with a total weight of 1.39, it has five little stones set on each side of the band! I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT:)

FutureMrsNajar Posts : 159 Registered: 11/15/07
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 9:40 PM Go to message in response to: dewdropinn

Dewdropinn-

I know exactly what you mean about being skewed higher and earlier i actually had two averages one with the extreme outliers and one without. Im a little bit of a math geek.

Any way heres the new "averages"

.947 Carats is the regular average

.771 Carats is without the extremes which im counting as anything greater than 2 carats and anything less than .2 carats. 

"When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.

~ June 28, 2008 ~

RanAway2Maine Posts : 2,359 Registered: 1/27/08
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 9:46 PM Go to message in response to: MissR

Hey MissR:

We can't include the size of your ring because it will throw off the average size of everybody else's rings!! Laughing  

mobride09 Posts : 519 Registered: 3/5/08
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 9:50 PM Go to message in response to: CBM09

Okay, according to the appraisal that I found, mine is a TCW of 1.3 with the center stone being .55 and then there are two side stones and 2 channel set stones on either side of those (7 stones all together.) I am actually a little surprised at how big it is!!

I marry the man of my dreams 5/2/09!

Retired Posts : 808 Registered: 4/17/06
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 10:02 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsNajar

Total weight 3/4th carat. Four stones, Calla Cut, in the shape of a butterfly.

lostinthemission Posts : 102 Registered: 3/19/08
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 11:04 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsNajar

Today, the national average for the diamonds chosen for engagement rings with regard to carat weight is 0.38 carats. In general, the carat weight averages of engagement ring diamonds are increasing. However, in order to truly understand the average relating to diamond carat weight for engagement rings it is important to look at the specific regions in which the engagement rings are being purchased as trends can be seen throughout these areas as well.

Larger cities such as Boston, Philadelphia and New York City have an average of 1.6 carats as it relates to diamond engagement rings. When viewing diamond carat weight averages in some of the Southern states and "Bible Belt" regions, the carat averages are anywhere between 0.25 and 0.40 carats. The state of Alabama has an average of 0.50 carats when it comes to diamond carat weights for those who are about to be married. When considering the entire state of California, the diamond carat weight average has been seen as over 1.0 carats. Focusing in on a more specific region within California such as the La Jolla/Del Mar area, the carat size is quite generous and is stated to be around 2.75 carats. When looking at carat weights with respect to engagement rings outside of the United States, such as in Europe, the average there is 0.30 carats and the stone within the engagement ring is not always a diamond gemstone.

In general, the average size of one's diamond engagement ring is increasing. With regard to the cost of such a beautiful ring, the average price spent on a diamond engagement ring these days is somewhere between $2500 and $3000. Although many have heard the notion that a diamond engagement ring should be at least 1 carat in weight, this is a relatively new sentiment. The fact of the matter is that a diamond engagement ring should suit the individual it is being given to and should be affordable to the person buying it. The true purpose surrounding it is the thought and love with which it is given.

Source: http://ezinearticles.com/index.php?Diamond-Engagement-Ring-Size---What-Is-The-Average-Carat-Weight-of-a-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-in-2008&id=1034380

I am going to be sweet, Mrs. Sweet that is!

Kirbyyy Posts : 18 Registered: 12/2/07
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 11:18 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsNajar

My center stone is 3/4 carats. There are 4 accents on either side, totalling .25 in all(i think?).  I do also think that 1 carat is a considerably large average, at least in my area. 

Kirby ..... McCasland <3

AmandaH2be Posts : 9 Registered: 4/16/08
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 11:28 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsNajar

Mine is 1.1 with small diamonds on each side that equal another .2...but I am also 29 years old, my fiance is 31 and we both have decent jobs. I think age has a lot to do with it too. If we would have gotten engaged even 1-2 years sooner this ring would have been out of our range. I think the average age for marriage is 25-27 now so that has to have something to do with average carat weight...just a thought.

HisQueenB Posts : 94 Registered: 2/6/08
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 11:51 PM Go to message in response to: AmandaH2be

My e-ring is .625 carats! I LOVE IT... I went with him to pick it out and as soon as I saw it I knew it was the one I wanted!

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 12:22 AM Go to message in response to: lostinthemission

Very informative. Thank you. I think it makes a lot of sense now why FH & I had different diamond sizes in mind as my family is from Wisconsin & he's a NYC boy.

I didn't post here to say my ring was big. I really hopped on because I have a friend of mine who is "1 carat ot bust" on her ring. She's had 3 BFs and no rings yet. She freaked when she saw mine....and not in a I'm happy for u sort of way.

I wanted to marry my Love, my best friend....I just don't get people that freak out if they get a small ring. My promise ring was peridot. FH gave me his birth stone. That meant more to me than any size diamond.

Oh and I had another GF that her FH bought her a ring & probably 1 month later she had a new one 4 times the size. She said she needed a little more bling in her life. Mind u this though her FH's wedding band is small & plain. Looks like she won it out of bubblegum machine while her 'new' one could pay for me a BMW. I'm sorry....but if I were her FH I would have been so insulted. She didn't even keep the one he proposed with, just used it as downpymt on the new ring.

http://www.mywedding.com/robertandginger

nmtgirl Posts : 142 Registered: 2/12/07
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 3:25 AM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

My center diamond is .77 carats and the total carat weight is 1.10 carats! I love it because my FH designed it himself! Even if he had tied a string around my finger, he would still be my dream man!

Ashley and Paul - June 2010

MrsPaul Posts : 186 Registered: 1/15/08
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 9:19 AM Go to message in response to: nmtgirl

My ring is 2.04 TCW.  The center stone is a 1.06 solitaire brilliant cut (I think) and the band is an eternity band with .98 CW with round cut brilliant stones.  It is set in white gold.  I had another e-ring originally that was set in palladium with 3/4 carat center stone and 3/4 carat in the band.  Stones kept falling out or were loose in the original e-ring.  So after 4 failed attempts to keep the original ring the jeweler allowed us to trade the ring for a different setting and in doing so gave us $1000 credit toward the new ring!  Hence the increase in TCW.  To be honest I loved my original ring but due to it always being in the jeweler for repair I never got a chance to really attach myself to it... It began to feel like more of a curse than enything!  So now I am FULLY attached to my ring and couldn't imagine wearing anything else on my finger!  I love my e-ring but I love FH more and just knowing that I get to spend the rest of my life with this amazing man is all that I need.

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 9:33 AM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsNajar

My center stone is 1.27 carats, F, VS1

Daisypath Ticker

B2B999 Posts : 700 Registered: 12/7/07
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 10:22 AM Go to message in response to: CaribbeanBride08

wow the more I read of this thread the more I think I need to go find out what my diamond is. It is strange the entire time we've been engaged people have told me how beautiful the ring is but no one has ever asked what size it is or the cut/clarity etc...I wonder if FH would be pissed if I asked him to see the appraisal.
When is my wedding

MrsB2Be08 Posts : 58 Registered: 7/24/07
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 10:37 AM Go to message in response to: B2B999

My center stone is 1.23 carats and the sides stones equal .73 carats for a TCW of 1.96. 

As for the appraisal question - my ring is appraised and insured.  FI told me the carat weights but, I have not seen the actual appraisal (it's in his fire safe with other important papers). I don't even want to know how much he spent on my ring (makes me queasy to think about).  It was completely his choice and was much, much more than I imagined or ever would have asked for.  Plus, he did tell me that it appraised for many thousands over what he actually paid (thanks to having a family friend who is a diamond broker) so, I think the figure would flip me out even more.

J & E's Wedding Plans - 2.28.09

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine