I want a New Year's Eve Wedding...BUT will ppl show up??

Online Users: 1,270 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 27

SparrowSong Posts : 77 Registered: 11/5/07
Re: I want a New Year's Eve Wedding...BUT will ppl show up??
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 9:55 AM Go to message in response to: tnichelle1485

Going to a wedding would probably be a lot more fun than some of the lame things I've done on that holiday. NYE usually is a lot more hype than anything. I'd be happy to have some real plans that night that were different than the same ol' same ol'. Would you do vows at midnight?

I think the bigger inconvenience is actually the general time of year. A lot of people have to travel for Christmas time to be with family. So some locals may be out of town. And some of your out of town guests miht not be able to afford a second trip when they were just gone someplace else the week before. I know I have RSVP'ed no to several weddings that were that time of year for that reason.

But as long as you are ok with possibly getting fewer Yes responses, whatever their reasons, I don't see a problem.

slsjdc5 Posts : 388 Registered: 9/23/07
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 11:26 AM Go to message in response to: tnichelle1485

I would totally go!  i had thought about doing this, but the majority of our guests are going to be from out of town.....didn't really work for us.

Every year we try to decide what the heck we're going to do on NYE and then we never do anything!!  I would welcome something being planned for me.........LOL

Definitely talk to your family and potential wedding party though.

Good luck!

♥LLAMA JJAMMIES Tongue out

HERE'S TO LOSING MY ASS!!!  BL5 rOcKs MY sOcKs!!

Message was edited by: slsjdc5

MrsAWarner Posts : 191 Registered: 2/18/08
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 11:46 AM Go to message in response to: tnichelle1485

I would totally go to a NYE wedding! Just like others have mentioned though, make sure you book a venue that will allow the party to go on until at least 1am.

DCTexan Posts : 170 Registered: 10/24/07
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 12:03 PM Go to message in response to: MrsAWarner

So it looks like I'm the lone minority, but I would probably not want to go to a wedding on NYE.  Here's why, I have a very diverse group of friends.  My friends from college and I always try and spend New Year's together.  The chances of all of my friends being invited to this wedding would probably be slim, so that would mean that I would have to spend NYE without some of the people I wanted to see.  Does that make sense?

If, however, your situation is different, and most of your guests are friends with the other guests, then it should be fine.  But for me, many of my guests only know me, so I think they would feel a little akward about the situation.

MissR Posts : 139 Registered: 7/17/06
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 12:27 PM Go to message in response to: tnichelle1485

I think that is a wonderful idea!  A New Year's Eve wedding sounds like so much!  I would definitely go.  I think most people would go unless they had plans already and couldn't change them.  If that's your anniversary I think you should plan for that day, it makes it more special knowing it was the first day you met.  

shelsgrl Posts : 164 Registered: 5/31/07
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 12:36 PM Go to message in response to: tnichelle1485

I attended a NYE wedding a few years ago and loooved it!  It was a great party, because it was not only the wedding reception for good friends, but also a big party in general, so it was twice the fun!

"Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or even what you are. Rich is who you have beside you." ~JIK II

tnichelle1485 Posts : 119 Registered: 2/28/08
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 3:35 PM Go to message in response to: shelsgrl

Thanks for all your input:*)

To address PPs' concerns:

We will hold the ceremony during the day, maybe around 4pm. The reception will be at night...starting around 8 or 9pm. This way we can still have the children in the wedding, i.e. flower girls, ring bearer, and jr bridesmaids. We'll have some type of a receiving line directly after the ceremony and take pics with the photog... Both the ceremony and reception will be held at a hotel so guests will be able w/e they need to do to get ready for the reception, i.e. take naps, shower, change clothes, etc.

I plan on booking WAY in advance as I know DJs especially will get booked very quickly. Also, we hope to be able to keep the reception going until 1am. Hopefully, this won't be a problem being that it will be held at a hotel. 

Depending on how many children there are, I will find a babysitter(s) and designate a room or two for them to use. One for young kids, one for older.  We're thinking that we want an adults only reception.

We will have an appetizer buffet and a big screen to watch the ball drop. When we count down, I'm thinking that everyone can yell "Happy Newly Weds!"

Some cons to doing NYE wedding for us:

-FH's brother's birthday is on NYE...yikes...he's also the best man, but we were thinking that he wouldn't HAVE to come to the reception if he didn't want to...Although free alcohol might just tempt him to stay...lol

-We'd have to add a 7-month wait to our wedding!!! For me, this is the worst part...but it would totally be worth the wait if we can pull it off.

-We live in Cleveland, Ohio...we get lots of snow! BUT, I can't remember the last time we had snow on NYE...this year, I don't think we had snow that stuck to the ground til late Feb.

On May 15, 2010, I will marry my one and only

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 5:55 PM Go to message in response to: tnichelle1485

The NYE wedding sounds just fine. But, I don't know why you're stretching it out, with a 4PM ceremony and a later reception. Why not just start at, say, 6:30 or 7? Or a little earlier, if the ceremony is at a church, instead of the hotel.The little ones can participate in the ceremony, then be whisked off to their private rooms. Local guests (who are not staying at the hotel) don't have to wander around looking for something to do (or drive there, drive back home, drive back to the hotel, and then home again). Everyone can dress up once, because what may be appropriate for NYE might be somewhat overdressed for a 4PM ceremony. Events flow better when they are not interrupted by long gaps in time.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Jade1107 Posts : 205 Registered: 9/1/07
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 11:20 PM Go to message in response to: myra

I would absolutely go to a NYE wedding! How much fun would that be? Honestly, lots of crazy favours and food and family and friends (wow, look at the all the "f's").

I'd definitely cut the gap between wedding and reception. Three hours is a long time to wait so why not get all dressed up, have the ceremony and then start the party shortly thereafter?

MrsWilliams2008 Posts : 1,431 Registered: 7/19/07
Posted: Apr 26, 2008 12:18 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I'd go!!!! For the last couple of years, starting at the ripe old age of 25 I've been bringing in the new year with Dick Clark. Him in New York... me and FH on the couch in our pajamas, lol. A wedding would certainly give me a reason to get out on NYE. I think that would be soooo much fun. I'm with the rest of the posters, hardly anybody would have to make major plans to take off from work. I do say that since you are looking at such a popular date for parties you need to decide, notify everybody as far ahead as you can, and book your venues ASAP!

Good luck!!!

http://www.theknot.com/ourwedding/RyAnne Stafford&RobertWilliams, Jr

R&R: June 21, 2008

Retired Posts : 808 Registered: 4/17/06
Posted: Apr 26, 2008 8:22 AM Go to message in response to: tnichelle1485

First, from an outsider's point of view.

I work at a hotel where we hosted a NYE wedding. It was absolutely gorgeous. They bedecked the whole place in dark blue and silver - even got a silver dance floor - and had their own personal fireworks display at midnight. They had the ceremony very late - at 9pm I believe - so that everyone could be together for the ball drop. The ceremony was just amazing, too; the WHOLE ROOM was flecked with candles. It was just an awesome, awesome time. They all got together, and the videographer got a segment of the entire 230-person guest list shouting the countdown together and the bride and groom kissing right at midnight under their fireworks display.

Someone mentioned it being expensive to travel, but keep in mind that most hotels offer discounted rates for a block of rooms and now even airlines are offering ticket discounts for groups. Scour destination bride magazines for ideas on how to make it cheaper for your guests to travel.

Now, like everyone else said, you know your loved ones best. I had the same question with my Wednesday morning wedding. Was anyone going to show up? Then here were my thoughts:

The people my wedding really matters to will come no matter what day it is, what time it is or where it is. Sure, you should try to accommodate people - like not having it in Italy on a Tuesday during the school year when everyone you know lives in the US, works and goes to school (which I had happen...) - but you also can't appease everyone and you can't pick your wedding date based on making sure everyone in your 150-person guest list can come. http://Hypothetical number. The people it DOESN'T matter to, won't expend the energy to be there.

And honestly, if people care more about going out and partying than being at your wedding, do you really want them there anyway? Anyone who wants to complain that they can't go do their thing on your wedding day isn't someone you want there in my opinion.

Get your save-the-dates out so people dont make plans. I really can't see why anyone would make plans for NYE more than a month away, much less a year away, but do it for good measure.

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Apr 26, 2008 8:26 AM Go to message in response to: myra

I agree with Myra. I would not have that long gap in between the ceremony and reception if at all possible. People really appreciate the FLOW of an event; and also, if you have all that time in between, you are going to be paying WAY more money for all your vendors who arent going to want to just "hang around" for 2hours time waiting for the reception to start. Its okay to have a little bit of time in between .... if there are two locations; to allow people to get from one to the other. But I would advice against that especially if the entire event is at the hotel.

To me; a 6:30 or 7pm ceremony followed by a reception from 8-1am sounds perfect.

"THE AISLE RUNNER" has officially launched ... www.myaislerunner.com

Photobucket

tnichelle1485 Posts : 119 Registered: 2/28/08
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 8:21 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Thanks for your posts and input. FH and I have decided AGAINST the NYE wedding. Instead, we've decided to do a May 5th wedding...Cinco de Mayo.

Don't fret, your advice will not go to waste! I'm printing the posts out and giving it to a good friend of mine who is thinking of doing a NYE wedding...Thanks again!

Cinco de Mayo 2010...I Marry My One & Only

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine