What to wear to a Catholic wedding?

Online Users: 1,257 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 25

MrsCP3 Posts : 456 Registered: 4/21/08
What to wear to a Catholic wedding?
Posted: Apr 21, 2008 6:40 PM

I'm attending a Catholic wedding in Atlanta at the end of May and have no idea what would be appropriate to wear. Any suggestions?

BriansBride2008 Posts : 814 Registered: 3/26/07
Re: What to wear to a Catholic wedding?
Posted: Apr 21, 2008 6:45 PM Go to message in response to: MrsCP3

I have been to 2 and there was no dress code...  We just wore what we would wear to any church wedding, or something you would wear to mass.

BB2008 

AUGUST 16, 2008 

I AM GETTING TO MARRY MY BEST FRIEND!!! YEAH!!!

Love2u Posts : 1,661 Registered: 10/24/07
Posted: Apr 21, 2008 6:47 PM Go to message in response to: MrsCP3

What you wear really depends both on the formality of the wedding service and the church itself.  Unless otherwise specified, I usually stick with conservative evening wear (i.e. nothing strapless, overtly sexy, or clubbish).
Love2uKiss

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Apr 21, 2008 8:59 PM Go to message in response to: Love2u

The same thing you'd wear to any wedding. Why would it be different because it is Catholic?

That being said, I might grab a sweater. You may get some dirty looks from elderly relatives if you show up in something low-cut. 

DaisypathWedding Ticker

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Apr 21, 2008 9:20 PM Go to message in response to: MrsCP3

dear CP3,

Wear anything that you like. There are no particular dress codes. Wear what makes you comfortable.

KristylovesPete Posts : 301 Registered: 3/2/08
Posted: Apr 21, 2008 11:37 PM Go to message in response to: MrsCP3

I'm getting married in a Catholic church and did not grow up Catholic so, I asked our priest if there is any sort of decorum in wedding dresses in a Catholic mass.  He told me that he would prefer that my shoulders are covered but other than that, not much else.

I've also attended a Catholic wedding last summer.  Although I wore a long summer dress, there were a lot of variations in what people wore, very formal to jeans with a tucked in shirt.  Pretty much wear whatever you feel comfortable wearing.  Just keep in mind that it is a family affair in a church.  Otherwise, it's just like any other wedding, just longer.  :-)

I Love my Peter Pete Pete

futuremrsperry Posts : 1,904 Registered: 4/23/06
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 9:27 PM Go to message in response to: MrsCP3

Why would wedding attire be any different for a Catholic wedding?  Wear what you want, just don't wear white.  

LovePark Posts : 241 Registered: 2/27/08
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 10:05 PM Go to message in response to: futuremrsperry

Well as a Catholic bride, I was raised not to have bare shoulders in church. However, no one has ever seemed to have heard this before.

SO I guess my answer is yes, wear whatever you like, but like PP said, your shoulders SHOULD be covered during the church, so maybe grab a sweater or something. Not saying everyone will have their shoulders covered that attend b/c lately catholic dress code has certainly gotten more casual. 

www.momentville.com/stephanieandmike

Photobucket

futuremrsperry Posts : 1,904 Registered: 4/23/06
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 10:14 PM Go to message in response to: LovePark

Love park, I'm Catholic and I have never heard of "covering your shoulders" before.  I'm sure my very traditional grandmother or my Deacon uncle would have said something to me, heck even our priests.  

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 10:52 PM Go to message in response to: futuremrsperry

I'm surprised that none of the PPs mentioned anything about hats.  Until Vatican II (I realize that's going back several decades now) women had to have their heads covered during mass.  Of course it's perfectly acceptable to be bareheaded now, but some women still like to continue the tradition as an excuse to wear a nice hat.

"When Women Vote, We All Win!"

EveT

immigrants Posts : 349 Registered: 4/24/07
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 12:12 AM Go to message in response to: MrsCP3

We are Catholic and the only thing the church doesn"t approve of is when you wear something strapless, or low cut in the back or front it is disrespectful in the eye of the church anything else goes even jeans. My daughters wedding gown is off the shoulder therefor for the ceremony she will have a shawl on to cover her shoulders.

immigrants Posts : 349 Registered: 4/24/07
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 12:17 AM Go to message in response to: futuremrsperry

I think it depends on the parish the newer churches don't seem to let small stuff like bare shoulders even bother them however if you go to the older parishes they still do it the old school way by abiding by the no bare shoulders in church rule. The priest that is marrying my daughter told her no bare shoulders, nothing low cut or see through unless you have something to put on top during the ceremony which will be a shawl.

KristylovesPete Posts : 301 Registered: 3/2/08
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 12:26 AM Go to message in response to: immigrants

Like I mentioned before, I'm getting married in a Catholic church and the only thing our priest said about my dress is that I would need to cover my shoulders. 

I will most likely have a strapless dress but I do plan to have a cover up (probably a piece of matching lace cut into a shawl).  As for low cut, I wouldn't feel comfortable, I'd feel like I was being disrespectful.

I think you are correct that it pretty much depends on the Parrish and the priest.     

I Love my Peter Pete Pete

B2B999 Posts : 700 Registered: 12/7/07
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 8:50 AM Go to message in response to: MrsCP3

I am a Catholic, in my experience you should wear clothes that cover your shoulders and regardless of the formality of the wedding, if you're wearing a skirt have it be at least knee-length, you're going to be kneeling and standing and you're not going to want to risk showing people your underthings. Otherwise just dress nicely, more than it is Catholic - it is a wedding, someone's grandmother is going to be there, dress appropriately.
When is my wedding

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 9:20 AM Go to message in response to: B2B999

The way I look at it is that everyone knows most people are headed off to the reception after so the dresses will be a little more "cocktail-y". However I still try to dress like I woudl for any mass, just in a dress.  But I have seen some guests dress REALLY raunchy to some weddings. There were some seriously short dresses and trashy looking outfits at this one wedding. (its usually the younger girls).  If Im wearing a strappy dress thuogh, I try to bring a sweater or jacket for the church part.

(And I have heard of the no-bare shoulders thing in church. It fully depends on the church)

Formerly Ama102707

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine