So it didn't happen....

Online Users: 1,289 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 174

2BBauer Posts : 478 Registered: 12/15/07
Re: So it didn't happen....
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 3:59 AM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

You've got me so anxious with this whole thread that when I read your last post I got all misty with excitement!!  Now you know you wont have to wait much longer!! Keep us posted!! Congrats!
The first day of my happily ever after is 9-13-2008

FALLbrideINLOVE Posts : 1,056 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 8:15 AM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

you are an investigator and i like that!  sounds like it is coming!!

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 8:51 AM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

Okay from personal experience, my advice to you is not to say anything else from this point.  When it does happen, he will have a plan, and if he doesn't have a plan, he will pop the question when it feels right to him.  That will also make the moment special.  You don't want to ruin the moment by always bringing it up. 

I said that because I was bugging my then boyfriend.  But finally my gut told me to shut up.  So, I did.  He proposed and it was so sweet.  I know it's hard, but I promise you it will be worth the wait. 

It's okay, just continue to vent to us!!

Elbelle77 Posts : 222 Registered: 1/24/08
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 9:26 AM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

Oh this is exciting!!!   I agree with the PP, try not to bug him about it.  Just wait for him to do it on his own... and tell us as soon as he does!

CGsPrincess86 Posts : 31 Registered: 3/26/08
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 9:55 AM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

I do this to my boyfriend ALL THE TIME ha. Except unlike yours, mine has not gotten me a ring so the conversation pretty much goes nowhere near as exciting as yours did.  But at least I got him to start saving for an engagement ring.  It took me a while but I finally convinced him that as wedding obsessed as I was we probably would not actually be walking down the aisle until 2011 or 2012.  For some reason I think he thought that once he got me the ring I would expect a wedding the next day so I think he was a little frightened by the subject.  I have since made him realize that it's not just about "oh I have an engagement ring I'm getting married yaaay!" but more (to me at least) about "Somebody loves me enough to want to spend the rest of their life with me".  But now that I know he's saving I'm just like you FMS! I sit here planning my wedding (not calling sites or anything, just coming up with ideas) and getting more and more impatient about it by the day.  I, too, am glad that there are other women on the same boat because I definitely thought there was something wrong with me!! 

MrsB2Be08 Posts : 58 Registered: 7/24/07
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 10:51 AM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

OK so I have a little update. My boyfriend asked me if I would make him dinner tonight and I told him I would if he bought me a ring. So he said we would talk about it while he was eating dinner. SO I frantically threw something together for him and while he was eating I asked him when I got my ring. He said when it comes. So I asked him what he ment and he said that he finally ordered it a few nights ago and once it gets here I wont have to wait very long for it. I am so horrible!!! I jst can't go on without knowing things. I have to know everything.

Honestly, I was in your positon a couple of months ago.  I knew he had done all the research and I knew that he had met with the diamond broker and, we had looked at settings.  So...

I will give you one very solid piece of advice...stop bugging him!  Seriously.  Let him do it his way, in his own time.  The surprise is worth all of the agony of waiting and then some!!!  I promise!  :-)

I bit my tongue every time I wanted to say something or ask him.  I knew some of what he had done and it was killing me.  But, the actual proposal was the single most romantic moment of my life and I'm so glad that I just left him alone about it.  Trust me that he is nervous enough about doing it in the first place.  Having you apply more pressure is not helping him.  Give your poor guy a break and let him do something special for you! My FI told me afterward that he was so thankful that I left the ball in his court.

J & E's Wedding Plans - 2.28.09

FinallyMrsS Posts : 1,035 Registered: 3/29/08
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 10:59 AM Go to message in response to: MrsB2Be08

Thanks ladies!!! I really don't talk to my boyfriend about all of this too much. There has been a few times when I have actually said something, but it is not all the time. I promise I am not bugging him! I dont want to scare him away. And last night I dont even know what came over me to say that to him!!! I kind of surprised myself. But then figured I would go with it. I am DEFINATELY not going to be talking to him about this anymore. I am sure he wants to throw me off a bit. But oh man. I could not sleep last night at all! All I could do was think and plan. I was thinking who do I call first? Obviously my parents. But then I have FIVE sisters! How do I figure out who to call in what order? Its all crazy. I will keep all of you posted for sure!!!

BoysMissLady Posts : 932 Registered: 1/18/07
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 12:25 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

FMS, I completely understand...I don't know how it happens.  One second you are talking about the dog getting a new rhinestone studded colar and the next you are asking about an E-ring.  It really is kind of like spontaneous combustion.  I don't ever intend to pressure him either.  Or he'll say something about our future children...well, how am I supposed to talk about kids and n ot talk about marriage (for me they are mutually exclusive).  UGH!

I've thought about who I'd tell first too!  First, of course I'd tell my mom...but if he did things right, she'd already be expecting it.  Then, I'd go to my BFF's job and have my other BFF meet me up there...and I'd tell them at the same time.  (I promised to tell them in person).  After that, (I know, I'm such a sucka)...but I'd come here and tell you all!  :-D  *sniffle, sniffle*  Oh, and there was this show on about a year ago about these sisters, and they used to do phone trees, maybe you could hold a 'conference call' or something.  Then all 5 of them could scream at the same time!  lol!

Kiss 

Guidosgirl Posts : 14 Registered: 3/6/08
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 6:26 PM Go to message in response to: BoysMissLady

I wish I had found this sooner. My BF and I have been talking about getting married for a while now and I know he's getting close to asking me. I even know an approximate time frame for when it's going to happen because he told me it will be before his brother leaves for school (mid-August) but not more than a month before my final semester starts (so no earlier than mid-July). He has been teasing me with hints that give nothing away but drive me crazy! He tells me that his family and my family will be there when it happens. Since our families have never fully met I think that will be a dead giveaway. But then he says that I won't realize that they are there. He also said something about a balcony that I won't recognize as a balcony (a fake hint maybe to throw me off?) I don't know. Either way its driving me nuts. And then I get a text message today asking me about what total carat weight I wanted and settings. I am going to flip out! And I am trying sooooo hard to not bug him about it.

Message was edited by: Guidosgirl

Posted: Apr 24, 2008 9:37 PM Go to message in response to: Guidosgirl

Guido we are both in the same shoes. But I am hoping that I dont have to wait until the end of the summer (sorry!!!) I am driving myself completely crazy!!!! I would be going nuts if I was you too! Getting all of those hints! So what kind of ring did you say you wanted?

Posted: Apr 24, 2008 9:40 PM Go to message in response to: BoysMissLady

I wish I could call all of my sisters at once, but they dont all get a long and trying to get 5 people on the phone at once would be nuts!!! I was thinking about calling two at a time. That way I can put the ones that like eachother on the phone. And I will probably drive to my oldest sisters house because she lives down the street and will be my MOH. I have everything planned out, all I need is the ring!

2BBauer Posts : 478 Registered: 12/15/07
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 1:27 AM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

LOL, I had to call my sister before my mom, otherwise my mom always tells my sister my exciting news before I get a chance to!

The first day of my happily ever after is 9-13-2008

Posted: Apr 26, 2008 3:26 PM Go to message in response to: 2BBauer

I decided I am just going to take a picture of my ring and send it to all of my sisters in a text message. I dont want to have to pick an order of who to call first. So that is how they will find out then I am sure they will all call immediately! And then right after of course I will call my parents. But I am sure they will already be expecting it because my boyfriend will be asking permission.

LinzZ Posts : 683 Registered: 12/13/07
Posted: Apr 26, 2008 7:44 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

I think that is a great idea. It gets the info to all sisters at once, they all get to see the ring instead of you having to describe it, and it's a little intriguing. Cute idea.

FallenAngel516 Posts : 7 Registered: 8/5/07
Posted: Apr 26, 2008 8:47 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

I was in a similar situation. FH and I had been together for over 4 years, and like out of the blue it hit me-I was ready to be his wife. So we talked about it and I immediately became obsessed! This was August of last year. I had just turned 19, he was about to turn 21. I kept thinking that because he wouldnt propose, that he wasn't ready. He kept telling me that he was just waiting for the right time. He wanted it to be perfect. He knew it would be the ONLY time he would ever propose to me (We've been pretty serious since the day we started dating for being so young-I was only 14 and he was 16) or anyone for that matter. He knew he only had once chance to get it right and didn't want to screw it up. I bet thats what your bf feels like. You just have to be patient and just keep telling yourself that he WILL propose, its just gotta be the right place and the right time, and only he will know when that time and place is. I waited until New Years Eve for FH to propose. I drove myself (and him crazy) with constant talk of it. I know its hard, but you have to concentrate on other things and try to stay positive.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine