Reception Entertainment Ideas

Online Users: 1,333 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 16

EliseNJ Posts : 10 Registered: 11/12/07
Reception Entertainment Ideas
Posted: Apr 19, 2008 9:14 PM

Hi-

I'm having a small afternoon reception without a band or a DJ.  Does anyone have any ideas on how we can entertain guests?

thanks,

Elise

Elise

A Smile is a Curve That Can Set Many Things Straight

B2B999 Posts : 700 Registered: 12/7/07
Re: Reception Entertainment Ideas
Posted: Apr 19, 2008 9:23 PM Go to message in response to: EliseNJ

Okay...Well we are going to need more information. Where is the wedding. Is there anything to do at the location? Are you opposed to music completely or simply do not want to spend the money on a band or DJ, because then you could use an IPOD or a cd player.

If you wanted you could place board games on the tables and people could play those. Or if you wanted to serve alcohol you could have a beer or wine expert come and have a tasting. If you do not want alcohol you could instead have a cheese or tea or chocolate party.

I think you need to give people SOMETHING to do otherwise they will be bored and leave quicker then you might like. If you can provide a bit more information about the location I think you'll find the advice you receive substantially more helpful.

When is my wedding

Posted: Apr 19, 2008 9:23 PM Go to message in response to: EliseNJ

Okay...Well we are going to need more information. Where is the wedding. Is there anything to do at the location? Are you opposed to music completely or simply do not want to spend the money on a band or DJ, because then you could use an IPOD or a cd player.

If you wanted you could place board games on the tables and people could play those. Or if you wanted to serve alcohol you could have a beer or wine expert come and have a tasting. If you do not want alcohol you could instead have a cheese or tea or chocolate party.

I think you need to give people SOMETHING to do otherwise they will be bored and leave quicker then you might like. If you can provide a bit more information about the location I think you'll find the advice you receive substantially more helpful.

When is my wedding

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: Apr 19, 2008 9:49 PM Go to message in response to: B2B999

Hi -- I agree it would be very helpful to have some more information.  But I'm not sure I agree that you have to entertain people beyond giving them a chance to mingle, eat, watch you and the groom cut the cake, and chat with you both as you move from table to table to say hello.  It kind of depends on how many guests you're having, how long the reception is supposed to last, how well they all know each other, whether you're having assigned seating, etc. etc.

"When Women Vote, We All Win!"

EveT

Posted: Apr 19, 2008 10:49 PM Go to message in response to: B2B999

Hi-

the wedding is in a restaurant at Le Chateau (www.lechateauny.com).  we decided not go with a DJ because we don't want it to be corny.  Also, the place may not be big enough to have a dance floor.

Elise

Posted: Apr 19, 2008 10:52 PM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

EveT,

I have 30 guests, and the party will be for about 3 hours not including cocktail hour or the ceremony.  Many of the guests do not know each other, it's a mix of family and friends.

Elise

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: Apr 19, 2008 11:43 PM Go to message in response to: EliseNJ

Hi, Elise -- Your wedding & reception sound lovely!  

With just 30 guests, and many of them not knowing each other, you could do a lot with introductions.   You might ask each of your parents to introduce the members of their sides of the family, telling some little interesting thing about each person as they stand up to be recognized.  That would get conversations going around each table.

You could also have a few speeches of the type that the Best Man and MOH or parents traditionally give with a toast.

If you have centerpieces and want to give each one to a guest to take home, you could do a "contest" for which couple at each table has been married the longest, or something like that.

Beyond those ideas, you might also do something connected with any hobby or special career skill or charitable cause that you and/or your FH are involved in.  Or something related to your honeymoon plans or the place where you first met.

"When Women Vote, We All Win!"

EveT

mariasophia Posts : 3 Registered: 2/19/07
Posted: Apr 20, 2008 12:11 AM Go to message in response to: EliseNJ

I totally hate wedding ceremonies with music and dancing. I used to be a waitress and caterer and most wedding ceremonies are minutely different from each other. Most people think that they know what to anticpate when they are going to a recception. Why not let yours offer some change? Who cares if there's no musis or dancing? I think that you would probably want to have some type of background music- the restaurant probably has some way of making this happen. We are having about 60 people to our reception at the greystone castle in canastota ny and when we told the owner that we don't want any dancing, I thought she was going to fall down from shock. I think it's corny and over rated and predictable to have dancing, unless of course, you really love to dance. But having dancing and music just because all other recptions have it is boring. I think that if you have a variety or food being served in different waves to keep momentum going, then that's enough. Maybe the entertainment can be more visual than noisy. COmpile interesting stories about you and your husband and place them around the room for people to read. A cocktail reception would be easier to have no music or dancing for because you can rent high top tables and don't need assigned seats, and people know that they are expected to walk around, circulate and mingle with each other. Put different photographs of you and your freinds and family around to encourage guests to mingle and move around. It's your wedding, do it however you want. Don't give in to the expectations everyone has about the way things are supposed to be at weddings. Be as unique and creative as you want to be.

Charlotte09 Posts : 1,021 Registered: 2/22/08
Posted: Apr 20, 2008 1:11 AM Go to message in response to: EliseNJ

Here are some suggestions, you might think they are corny but I thought I would throw some things out there just for ideas. You could look into hiring some sort of act, a magician or dj. I have also heard about people hiring a characterist (the person who draws the cartoon looking versions of people) and each guest(s) can get their picture drawn and take it home with them as a gift. I went to a wedding reception that was adults only and a comedian came in and put on a performance and it was incredibly funny, different, and entertaining. Another suggestion is just to incorporate you and your FH's interests into the reception. Since I don't know your interests I cannot make a better suggestion. Basically, look into different forms for entertainment in your area besides a band or dj and see if anything leaps out at you as fun. 

Brooke051609 Posts : 723 Registered: 12/31/07
Posted: Apr 20, 2008 9:50 AM Go to message in response to: EliseNJ

Depending on how much money you have, comeidians, or dualing pianists would be entertaining and they usually get the guests involved!

JackieB0129 Posts : 497 Registered: 4/24/07
Posted: Apr 20, 2008 10:40 AM Go to message in response to: EliseNJ

We're getting married outdoors in a state park and a DJ or band A) isn't in the budget and B) I don't think would work too well in the space so we're going to go to Rent-a-Center and get some speakers and just set up my laptop.  You can preset a play list and just ask someone to push play when it's time.

Jackie B!

October 11, 2008 

MaunaLaniBride Posts : 631 Registered: 3/31/06
Posted: Apr 20, 2008 11:07 AM Go to message in response to: EliseNJ

I attended a wedding a while back that was similar to yours, it was a luncheon and there was no room for a dance floor.  The couple had a piano player there for background music and at one point, they did a first dance in the middle of the room. 

It was one of the nicest wedding receptions that I've been to because I really got a chance to chat and enjoy the food without the pressure to dance. 

My best friend's wedding last year was just like yours...at a restaurant with about 30 people.  They set up their iPod with a little speaker system and it was perfect. 

You don't need any gags like magicians or palm readers or whatever.  If you just have a little background music, your guests will be fine just chatting.

Knot planning bio:  http://tinyurl.com/2od5dr

Knot married bio: http://tinyurl.com/2zatxp

Posted: Apr 20, 2008 11:23 AM Go to message in response to: EliseNJ

Okay after looking at the site, which looks absolutely beautiful by the way, I see what you mean about space constraints with regard to a dance floor.

I think you have a ton of stuff for people to do simply by virtue of the site, the gardens are absolutely lovely and I'm sure people will stroll through those as long as the weather is nice. They will spend a lot of time speaking to each other, either catching up or getting to know one another.

The location does have winetasting parties though so if you wanted to set something up for people to do that it is still classy I am sure that they could put you in touch with their sommeilier and perhaps have him come in and do a winetasting for your guests. (perhaps they would even work with you and do this instead of the open bar).

I have been to weddings where there was no dancing and no really activity to do, the problem you run in to is that people will leave, especially if they are not particularly outgoing and do not know anyone.

If your reception is at night people will probably watch the sunset and I definitely recommend that you arrange to have the gardens lit so that people can spend time out there.

It truly is a beautiful location, congratulations.

When is my wedding

Posted: Apr 21, 2008 9:19 AM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

EveT,

Thank you for responding and for your ideas.  I like the speeches idea.  We're also looking to see if we can hire a trio or something .  Hopefully, people would talk amongst themselves and with taking pictures and conversating time will go by quick and they won't want to leave early.

Elise

Posted: Apr 21, 2008 9:28 AM Go to message in response to: MaunaLaniBride

MaunaLani-

Thank you for responding and for your ideas.  We're thinking of playing music during the cocktail hour and after possibly hiring pianist or a trio to play music. 

Elise

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine