Is it weird that I'm telling my FH that I don't want another ring?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

Wunderbride Posts : 41 Registered: 1/17/08
Is it weird that I'm telling my FH that I don't want another ring?
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 9:37 PM

My FH gave me a very beautiful engagement ring.  Its a heart diamond thats almost one ct and there are small diamonds around the heart not to mention the band part has diamonds all around it as well.  Its a very beautiful and unique ring.  He won't tell me how much he paid but he said that it cost more than our honeymoon (which includes airfare and hotel).  Is wrong for me to tell him that I want to make this ring my wedding ring?  I mean this ring has so much in it already why do I need another one and why should he pay for another one? He wants to get me another band with diamonds.  I'm not myterialistic so I don't care for all these diamonds.  I do love my ring but I would have been happy with something simple with a diamond thats as small as .25 ct.  But he decided to get me the best and I'm totally satisfied.  I don't care for another ring. What is your opinion?

July 5, 2008 Laughing I'd rather die like Christ than live unholy.

Breeze4 Posts : 24 Registered: 3/27/08
Re: Is it weird that I'm telling my FH that I don't want another ring?
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 9:45 PM Go to message in response to: Wunderbride

He's probably excited to get you a wedding ring! Maybe meet in the middle and get a simple band? You can get them pretty affordably, even with a couple little diamonds.

http://www.whenismywedding.com/"> alt="When is my wedding" src="http://www.whenismywedding.com/signature/5ea714a49467f0be.gif">
Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com
http://counters.gigya.com/wildfire/CIMP/Jmx*PTEyMDc5NjMyNDY5ODQmcHQ9MTIwNzk2MzI2MzA2MiZwPTE3NDQ*MSZkPSZuPQ==.jpg">

krista210 Posts : 450 Registered: 7/14/07
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 10:28 PM Go to message in response to: Breeze4

I agree with the PP that he is probably just excited to get you another ring with such significance. You could definitely just get a plainer band to meet in the middle. You could also suggest to him only wearing the set on special occasions. Also - you might want just a band for times when you go on vacation or are just doing housework or gardening or something like that. For vacationing, you aren't attracting as much attention. And for working, you aren't putting your georgeous (and apparently big!) ering in jepordy of being damaged.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Apr 12, 2008 10:34 AM Go to message in response to: Wunderbride

Wunderbride I felt the exact same way! I love my ring and did not want another one. He was not offended at all. he was happy he had picked one I loved so much I didn't want another one. So instead I suggested that we take the money that we would have spent on bands and get him a band that matched my ring. Instead of a plain band he got one that also has black and white diamonds like mine and was clearly made to match. He loved his so much he started to wear it before we got married!

DawnaCrystal Posts : 990 Registered: 4/7/08
Posted: Apr 12, 2008 10:55 AM Go to message in response to: Wunderbride

I understand completely. at our vow renewal my husband wanted to upgrade my 1.5ct (which was more than I wanted, I had asked for no more than .5 ct.) to 2.5 ct. I didn't want to, the ring he picked out for me was perfect and it had alot of meaning behind it. I would have felt the same way if it were made of plastic. He didn't understand why I would not want more diamond, I tried to explain that it was not the diamond that I cared about, it could have been cz for all I cared. Being male he didn't get it.

Unfortunatly, we never did solve the problem. My 6 year old flushed my ring. My husband let me pick out the replacement ring and I chose to get one from daimond Nexus labs. It is 1.87 ct. and cost only 700 dollars. And I love it! and as a bonus I know that by buying this ring I helped to save the enviroment in a tiny way by not getting a mined diamond. He was shocked that I would pick lab created, he insisted it was 'fake', but I don't feel it is, it is simply lab created rather than mined and the clarity is better than we could have ever afforded by buying a mined one.

willmarrybarry Posts : 84 Registered: 4/15/08
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 5:39 PM Go to message in response to: Wunderbride

I don't know, I just feel lik eyou need to get a separate wedding ring, even if it's smal and not all that expensive. It's a symbol of your marriage.

And I don't think he got you a great ring b/c he's materialistic, I think he just really loves you and wanted to show you by getting you something really special, something you can have for decades and maybe even pass on to the next generation. I thinkit's an investment that it cost more than your honeymoon which is over in a week.

Wunderbride Posts : 41 Registered: 1/17/08
Posted: Apr 19, 2008 2:13 PM Go to message in response to: willmarrybarry

willmarrybarry

I know he's not materialistic but he got me such an incredible ring that I don't want another one.  I want to make this my wedding ring.  He spent so much money I don't think we have enough to even buy me another one. I barely have enough to buy him one.  Yikes!

July 5, 2008 Laughing I'd rather die like Christ than live unholy.

KristylovesPete Posts : 301 Registered: 3/2/08
Posted: Apr 19, 2008 4:44 PM Go to message in response to: Wunderbride

I totally feel the same way you do!  I have a ring that I don't feel needs to be added to in any way.  He wants to get the additional ring and everyone else seems to say that I need one.  I don't get it, why?  They say 'at least get a thin one to go along side it'.  But why?  I think that it is an unnecessary expense when I'm already perfectly happy with the way my ring is now. 

I say, take the money he has set aside for the additional ring and stick it into savings or in your honeymoon pot.  Good luck with how it turns out!  :-)

Peter Pete Pete!

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: May 22, 2008 3:15 PM Go to message in response to: Wunderbride

I don't think it's weird at all. I personally don't want another wedding ring either. I love the ring I have. Why add to it? He'll be putting my ring on my hand as a symbol of our marriage again so why get another one I'll not even like wearing?

Ms. Pinky

sk127 Posts : 325 Registered: 5/13/08
Posted: May 22, 2008 5:53 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

i dont see anything wrong with using the engagment ring as the wedding ring..plus sometimes it can be irritating wearing 2 rings on one finger.
live life to the fullest for the future is scarse

Habsfan1282 Posts : 146 Registered: 5/28/08
Posted: May 30, 2008 10:28 AM Go to message in response to: Wunderbride

I thought I was the only one!  I don't want two rings.  I love my 'engagement ring'.  I think it looks weird to have two rings on one finger.  I also think a band would somehow detract the beauty and simplicity of my engagement ring.

I am choosing to not wear my engagement ring until he puts it on my finger during the ceremony.  If it's going to be my wedding ring, I don't feel right wearing it around now.

Retired Posts : 808 Registered: 4/17/06
Posted: May 31, 2008 8:18 AM Go to message in response to: Wunderbride

To disagree with a previous poster, in no wa do you NEED a "wedding" ring.

People put too much significance in this kind of thing - what, having only one ring means you're not married? That's ridiculous. What about the people who get tattoos of their rings, or exchange something else like necklaces or - GASP - don't wear rings at all?

Rings don't make a marriage. If you don't want a wedding band, don't get one. It'd be worse for him to buy you one and then you hate it and are miserable wearing it, or you just never put it on and it sits in a ring box. The only significance in a wedding ring is whatever stigma you put on it.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine