NWR-This Whole Polygamist Thing

Online Users: 1,335 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 36

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: NWR-This Whole Polygamist Thing
Posted: Apr 17, 2008 12:26 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

Ladies,

Remember, that the family in Big Love is fictional. The woman in this situation are all adults, who could freely consent to this situation. They all know it's illegal, thus, they go to great pains to disguise the true nature of their relationship.

This is not the case in the FLDS church. Very young teenagers are taken in "celestial marriages" and impregnated before they are of any legal age of consent. Once the girl has a baby, it makes it infinitely harder for her to leave. Since secular, state law requires a child to be equally in custody of the mother and father, the father can simply withhold his consent for the child to leave with the mother.

It takes incredible courage for a woman to break free of this life. It is a miracle if she is able to extract herself and her children.

Another really sad issue is that of the boys born into these sects. The young boys are seen as competition for the older pedophile men, thus, many are simply abandoned by the sect shortly after puberty. They are "excommunicated" and banished, with little means to support themselves. It is truly a sad story.

A network has become established to help these "lost boys" become adults and productive members of society. I have heard that Jon Krakauer, the author of the book I mentioned above, is personally sponsoring a few of these "lost boys".

uno Posts : 619 Registered: 1/4/08
Posted: Apr 17, 2008 12:50 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Eve -  I'm curious about another thing: what do the men do for a living? 

I may be wrong but I remember hearing that the "community" has some factory (or factories).  I think cheese in particular if I remember correctly and a rock quary and water treatment plant.  I would assume they work here.  I would also assume that they sell the cheese and rocks to fund their lifestyle and I would guess that maybe they are paid this way? 

They also said they had a medical facility... and I'm wondering if these people (probably men) who work here are certified at anything or if that's just the job assigned to them??

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: Apr 17, 2008 1:06 PM Go to message in response to: uno

Yeah, I wondered about the medical facility.  I kind of assumed it was just an infirmary where anyone who's sick would go to prevent infectious diseases from spreading throughout the group.  None of these folks have a college education, right?  So they would not have any R.N.s, let alone any M.D.s?

"When Women Vote, We All Win!"

EveT

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Apr 17, 2008 1:56 PM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

Maybe it's kinda like the Amish society...minus all the good stuff the Amish do...I imagine when an Amish person gets sick they have their own ways of treating them. However I think if it'd bad they will go to a real Hospital. I should know since Im like 90 mins away from Lancaster....(i'm going this weekend, maybe I will look into that...)

Formerly Ama102707

SeasideBride06 Posts : 958 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: Apr 17, 2008 3:57 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

For those of you who want more info, go to

www.childbrides.org and look at the numerous links under True Stories, Current Events, Media Archives and Historical Background.

www.helpthechildbrides.com also has information.

The Phoenix New Times has been reporting on the cult for years. They have a lot of good stories on their web site, go to www.phoenixnewtimes.com and search on polygamy. 

lostinthemission Posts : 102 Registered: 3/19/08
Posted: Apr 17, 2008 8:39 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

http://www.feministmormonhousewives.org/?p=371

I tried looking for a video and found that site. I am surprised the site exsists.

I am going to be sweet, Mrs. Sweet that is!

futurefiance Posts : 39 Registered: 9/22/07
Posted: Apr 17, 2008 8:59 PM Go to message in response to: lostinthemission

I have not watched much of the news regarding this, just snippets here and there, but from what I'm reading on this thread it's amazingly similar to a movie I watched recently.  The movie was on Lifetime and it seemed almost exactly like the situation you are describing.  I wish I remembered the title to the movie. 

I hope these people get help and find a way out of this cult.  I hope that justice is meted out to all those that abused and manipulated innocent children.

**********I don't know what I want for my wedding, I just know I want him for my marriage!************

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine