Strange design trends in the "Hot off the Runway" photo gallery

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 3

Pamlin Posts : 958 Registered: 10/26/06
Strange design trends in the "Hot off the Runway" photo gallery
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 4:04 PM

Ok, I got a little excited.  The spring 2009 collections are coming out!  Then I started looking at the gowns...

It's like all the ballgowns are incredibly boxy in the bodice.  Maybe it's because of the lack of definition in the waist, or the straight across or slight U shape to the waist that is in multiple collections.  Or perhaps because the models are in serious need of a sandwich:

The other major trend seems to be empire-waisted gowns that are very filmy and rather historic negligée-ish (pretty, but you've got to have a pretty good figure to pull it off) 

All in all, I find the most recent collections (with Ines diSanto as an exception, as she's still going old-hollywood)  very... blah...  and vaguely unflattering.  They all seem to be rather bust-minimizing designs, and not very big on any sort of distinctive drama.

What are your thoughts?

Pamlin

The wedding will be lovely, but it's the next day and every day after that makes me truly excited.

KatharineC Posts : 940 Registered: 2/6/08
Re: Strange design trends in the "Hot off the Runway" photo gallery
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 4:40 PM Go to message in response to: Pamlin

Wow, my first thought on the first gown was that it doesn't fit the model properly in the bodice! If they're ALL like that, then it is a very strange - and unflattering - trend indeed. I confess I do love the second gown's style, though it does take a wispy, ethereal girl to pull it off! But I just love the flowing empire-line, Jane Austen-ness of it all.

When is my wedding

On October 31st 2008 I marry my One True Love!

Pamlin Posts : 958 Registered: 10/26/06
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 5:04 PM Go to message in response to: KatharineC

Wouldn't it be great if we all had Kate Winslet's body???

I'm not sure if whomever has been booking the models is getting the wrong sizes or what, but  there are others who are fitting boxy as well:

Badgley Mischka

Even Alfred Angelo, the king of figure flattering bridal gowns for every shape

*sigh* 

Well, at least pickups are finally fading, though there really hasn't been a Big New Trend to replace it yet...

Pamlin

The wedding will be lovely, but it's the next day and every day after that makes me truly excited.

DPandME Posts : 24 Registered: 2/28/08
Posted: Apr 17, 2008 6:45 PM Go to message in response to: Pamlin

I i didnt like any that i saw. NONE! The models were too skinny or they were't styled for that specific person. They all look baggy and unhemmed and really just sloppy all over. I hope this is not what the bridal industry is gearing towards b/c if so i'll be purchasing my dress a whole lot sooner than i thought!!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine