Formal wedding/Outdoors?

Online Users: 1,274 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 3

MrsMinor4EnE Posts : 255 Registered: 4/7/07
Formal wedding/Outdoors?
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 5:49 PM

Ok so my best friend is getting married and her sister is telling her that since she wants to have the reception outside that she can't relly do the formal theme. I told her that you can make the tent for the reception go with formal or non formal and not to listen to her sister and to do what she wants. But I wanted to check and see what you all thought. Opinions please.

SocalGal Posts : 456 Registered: 6/3/06
Re: Formal wedding/Outdoors?
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 6:22 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMinor4EnE

You can absolutely go formal for an outdoor reception.  I persoanlly think the key to it is the tent.  Yes, if you use the standard issue white plastic tent, it can take away the formal feel.  But if you drape fabric all across the inside of the tent, or use a clear tent, it totally works.  Another idea is what my husband and I did at our reception (which was also outdoors and formal)...our venue required us to have a tent, but we had no worries about rain or it being too cold...so we used just the tent frame and tons of twinkle lights.  Just a thought.

True love never has a happy ending; true love never ends.

tjrocks Posts : 11 Registered: 7/14/06
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 10:25 PM Go to message in response to: SocalGal

Outdoor weddings can be beautiful and formal. 

If you're looking for inspiration pics to prove her wrong, look here:

Outdoor Wedding Pics

The Knot Photo Galleries

MaunaLaniBride Posts : 631 Registered: 3/31/06
Posted: Apr 18, 2008 11:47 PM Go to message in response to: SocalGal

We had an outdoor wedding an although I would not consider our wedding reception formal, I would consider our tablescape traditional...if the vibe were a bit different, I think our wedding could have passed as a formal affair.  Pictures of our wedding in the link to my Knot MARRIED bio below.

Oh - and I don't think that a tent is mandatory for a formal feel.  The beauty of having an outdoor wedding is the outdoors.

Knot planning bio:  http://tinyurl.com/2od5dr

Knot married bio: http://tinyurl.com/2zatxp

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine