NWR- Charities

Online Users: 1,281 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 30

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Re: NWR- Charities
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 11:52 AM Go to message in response to: Mrslinnben

Interesting,  I donate blood 6 times a year.  I earmark my blood for someone with sickle cell anemia.  I also volunteer for the Aids Coalition.  I give time to Habitat and to the youth organization at my church.  We also donate our clothes and old cell phones to Womens Shelters. 

Kenny and Me Perfect Together,  10 years and counting.

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 12:02 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

My favorite are the National Neurofibromatosis Foundation, St. Jude's Children's Hospital and my local food pantry/soup kitchen.

"I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible." - Billy Crystal, When Harry met Sally 

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 12:48 PM Go to message in response to: MrsJunebug

Ahhh, I totally forgot about the non-monetary giving by simply clicking a website.

Here's an animal rescue site that I click on a daily basis.  I hope you guys will now click it too!!!

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

Daisypath Ticker

Charlotte09 Posts : 1,021 Registered: 2/22/08
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 12:50 PM Go to message in response to: Bride2008

Thanks for some of the information about donating as favors for the guests. I am afraid that someone might make a comment about it (like FH's friends). They do not want nor need a favor and would never use one but they just say too much sometimes. 

Anyway, here is my idea. Donating so much per guests (what we would have paid on favors) to the Humane Society and Second Chance. Then FH and I getting a picture taken of us with our pets and printing them out on cards that explain that a donation has been made in the name of our guests for this cause. I love my animals (and FH and I are getting more as soon as we move in together) so I think it is fitting, especially to those who are close with us and know how animal crazy I am.  

tessnjude Posts : 98 Registered: 2/5/08
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 1:01 PM Go to message in response to: seadreamer

I donate to the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation. 

http://www.pedaids.org/ 

And every spring cleaning, I send stuff off to the Good Will.  I also think that donations in lieu of favors is a lovely idea and a great way for the couple to express what is important to them.

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 2:18 PM Go to message in response to: tessnjude

Ahh, nice. I like hearing about good charities.

I'm involved in a few arts-related nonprofits. I'm a member of Americans for the Arts and Virginians for the Arts, both of which are invested in increasing arts-education and funding for the arts. I'm also a member of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, which is dedicated to preserving historic structures in the US.

I try to support breast cancer research and outreach as much as possible. I do the Race for the Cure every year. I've done the Avon walk and the Aids walk in the past, but the only walk/race I've committed to for this year is the Race for the Cure (though I may be walking this year, since wedding planning took over my jogging time). I also try to give to St. Jude's Children's Research hospital when I can. I have a soft spot for them, since I was somehow involved in SOME sort of fundraiser for them when I was about 10 or 12...anyway, they have stuck in my head as a good cause.

As much as I like to support these charities, I honestly have to say that the majority of my charitable donations go to my church and former schools. (I like to donate to my former art history departments, since they are always underfunded) Oh well - every little bit helps, though.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 2:31 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

I'm a fan of international causes.

I give regularly to Doctors Without Borders, who provide medical care for people in developing nations around the world.  I also sponsor a kid in Brazil for whom I pay his school fees and food every month through the Child USA program.

I'm a big fan of supporting female entrepeneurship in developing countries. . .helping them so that they can help themselves.  I like to buy gifts from a shop called Ten Thousand Villages (there are multiple locations across the country; check here: www.tenthousandvillages.com) which sells crafts from around the globe, and it is 100% non profit.  I love buying from there, because why spend money at Pier 1 or World Market when you can buy goods just as nice and directly support the maker? 

By the way, if you like Breast Cancer Research, I suggest you buy one of these t-shirts: http://www.save2ndbase.com/.  I've got one.  It says "Save Second Base" with little baseballs where your breasts would be on the t-shirt.

I figure, since I like to shop, I try to buy products which have some sort of global reach. 

Oh, and I've become one of those people who gives money to political campaigns, too.  It's the only way to deal with my politics-related anger this year.

Vote!  http://www.barackobama.com/index.php

mandynos Posts : 36 Registered: 3/25/08
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 3:54 PM Go to message in response to: CaribbeanBride08

While we're on the subject of giving, if noone has tried it yet goto:

http://www.freerice.com

For every correct word you get right, they donate 20 grains of rice to help end world hunger.

Engaged since: March 16, 2008Kiss
"Distance is not for the fearful, it is for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the ones they love. It's for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough...."

"Lately you're the only song I wanna sing, and you're my reason to try, you just get sweeter everyday, the little things you do and say, if only you could see you through my eyes, you just get better all the time.. "

luvathena Posts : 929 Registered: 12/10/07
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 2:26 AM Go to message in response to: CaribbeanBride08

That was an awesome site! Thanks. I clicked away for all of them!!! And then I'm going back and shopping!

daybug Posts : 159 Registered: 10/7/07
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 3:07 AM Go to message in response to: luvathena

Such a good thread!

FH and I would like to donate to the Humane Society or the ASPCA in lieu of favors. We adopted our dog Maia from the Humane Society last July and we just love her to pieces. I wish I could have taken them all home!!! I really like the idea someone posted earlier (sorry, can't remember who it was) about printing a picture of her, FH and their pets with a small explanation of the donation. I might steal it!! But I do have a question...how to you go about donating? Do you just go to the website and sign up to donate whatever amount?

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: May 29, 2008 12:05 AM Go to message in response to: daybug

This is a cool thread.

I give to TreePeople, which plants trees all over L.A. Also to CoopAmerica, which educates its members about environmental & fair trade issues and promotes environmentally friendly/fair trade businesses.

I haven't given to this one for a while, but a PP reminded me of this organization I used to give to, Freedom from Hunger. They provide micro-loans to women in developing countries to start their own businesses.

Also recently read about (but have not actually used yet) a website called www.charitynavigator.org that rates charities and helps you search for different types of charities.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: May 29, 2008 12:21 AM Go to message in response to: seadreamer

Monetary- SPCA, Breast Cancer, when I have a friend walking in anything- Cancer, MS, etc.

I also visit the websites daily (breast cancer, animal research, rain forest, literary fund, etc.).  And I love that free rice with food definitions site.  :-)

Often I find that there are too many for me to do much, but I try.  I need to start giving blood again.  But I prefer to do apheresis, where my plasma, platelets and RBC are separated out.  BUt I had to switch blood donation places and last time I was there, they blew my vein, after I told them not to use that one, and I lost the full use of my right arm for a couple of days.  Yeah, I wasn't happy.

But that was one time out of +20, so I need to start again! 

luvathena Posts : 929 Registered: 12/10/07
Posted: May 29, 2008 1:08 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Ladies I also forgot about this site

http://www.womenforwomen.org/

You can sponsor a woman who is beginning a business in a male dominated and war torn area, such as Afghanistan, or do some shopping online of their products (that the women produce) which is also a wonderful way to support them.

Recently 60 minutes did a segment on Women for Women's work in the Congo-where rape is a legitimate war tactic and then the raped women are considered tainted and outcast. Women for Women helps them become self-supporting and get medical care.

They do some awesome work.

Maggie and Tom

08 31 08

PLysak Posts : 288 Registered: 7/8/07
Posted: May 29, 2008 6:11 AM Go to message in response to: luvathena

I donate used items from my house to Big Brothers, Big Sisters whenever they say that they are in the neighborhood to pick up stuff.  When they aren't in the neighborhood, I donate my items to the Salvation Army.  I also donate money to them.

I donate money to my church also, as they provide after school programs and summer camps to kids who live in housing projects.  I also donate my time to my church by babysitting infants so that their mothers can attend services.

I also volunteer time and money to my DH's masonic lodge and his Shrine Center (DH is a Freemason and a Shriner).  The masonic lodge does a child ID program to help police locate missing kids (I volunteer my time to help parents and kids sign up and get processed), and the Lodge also does an annual spaghetti supper to raise money for a scholarship for local girls (one of the members of the Lodge, now deceased, started the scholarship in memory of his daughter who died at 20 from cancer).  The Shrine Center is always raising money for the local Shriners' Hospital here in Springfield, MA.  If you didn't know, they provide treatment for bone diseases and burns, free of charge to everyone, regardless of insurance.  I donate both volunteer time and money to the Hospital.

Luckily for me, every group that I volunteer for allows my 4 kids to tag along with me, otherwise I wouldn't be able to do what I do.

Priscilla & John

Crazy for each other, since 1995.

serendipity3033 Posts : 363 Registered: 5/11/06
Posted: May 31, 2008 1:15 AM Go to message in response to: PLysak

I give monthly to the ASPCA, and here and there to the Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind, the Asthma Walk, and then my blood I give whenever theres a blood drive.

And.... FreeRice.com thanks to a PP... lol.  That game is so addictive, I can play for hours...

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine