Will it look right if my bridesmaids wore Ivory shoes?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

Wunderbride Posts : 41 Registered: 1/17/08
Will it look right if my bridesmaids wore Ivory shoes?
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 6:31 PM

their dresses are an eggplant purple color, their sash is a lighter purple, and their gloves are ivory.  I always like shoes to match the color belt (or sash) but this purple (of the sash) is hard color to find.  I could ask them to go with the color of the dress but if its not the same color, it might look a bit off.  You think it would be fine if they wore ivory shoes which would be the same color as mine?

July 5, 2008 Laughing I'd rather die like Christ than live unholy.

SocalGal Posts : 456 Registered: 6/3/06
Re: Will it look right if my bridesmaids wore Ivory shoes?
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 6:40 PM Go to message in response to: Wunderbride

If their dresses are long it really won't matter what color shoes they wear.  If they're wearing shorter dresses, however, I personally think that the ivory shoes would be a little light with rich a deep purple.  If you want the shoes to match the sash, you can always get dyeable ones...there are lots out there that are affordable and actually look nice.  Or you consider black or metallic shoes (i'd go with gold or bronze) that the girls can wear again.

True love never has a happy ending; true love never ends.

luvmygemini Posts : 737 Registered: 7/16/07
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 7:11 PM Go to message in response to: SocalGal

I think the Ivory gloves are going stick out with a deep purple dress just as the Ivory shoes will..are the gloves a must? if so then I would go with a silver(metallic) shoe to kinda balance out the colors

Posted: Apr 10, 2008 7:34 PM Go to message in response to: luvmygemini

well I already bought the gloves and Ivory is like a subcolor for my wedding.  I want them to wear gloves because their dresses are 50s style (knee length) and gloves add to that vintage touch.  Don't you think adding another color would be too much? The light purple color is a hard color to match.  It would be hard to find the right die but I guess I can try.

SocalGal Posts : 456 Registered: 6/3/06
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 3:01 AM Go to message in response to: Wunderbride

Honestly, I don't think having the bridesmaids shoes be a different color is the same as adding a color...it would just be in their shoes.  As long as you keep it neutral, I think it'll be fine.  As far as trying to find the right color dye, unless you have expirience dying shoes, I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself.  Most places where you can buy dyeable shoes will dye them for free, or for a minimal cost.  As long as you take a swatch of the color you want the shoes to be, they'll match.  This is something best left to professionals.

True love never has a happy ending; true love never ends.

Posted: Apr 11, 2008 7:42 AM Go to message in response to: SocalGal

I wouldn't go with the ivory shoes... it might look a bit off, especially if the dress is shorter.  I agree with someone who earlier suggested a silver shoe - that would look good.

Valerie

Wedding Date:  September 27, 2008

MrsBrock2008 Posts : 101 Registered: 10/9/06
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 9:18 AM Go to message in response to: Wunderbride

I think the ivory shoes would be to much, I would go with silver.

C James Laughing

Posted: Apr 15, 2008 11:24 AM Go to message in response to: MrsBrock2008

So a deep purple dress w/ a light purple belt, ivory gloves, and silver shoes.  Don't you think thats a bit much?

willmarrybarry Posts : 84 Registered: 4/15/08
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 12:59 PM Go to message in response to: Wunderbride

Yeah - totally go with socalgal's idea. get them professionally dyed to match. ivory shoes would really stand out on an eggplant outfit.

luvmygemini Posts : 737 Registered: 7/16/07
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 2:15 PM Go to message in response to: willmarrybarry

Wunderbride~ ok it' really the gloves that are throwing it off eggplant dress with lavendar/lilac sash would look great with silver shoes but when you factor in the Ivory gloves that is what makes it odd...so PP suggested dyeables that will work out best have them dyed to match the dress(eggplant) not the sash this will look much better and be a lot easier..if you take a swatch to the place,a professional is right on color wise Good Luck :)

Posted: Apr 16, 2008 9:58 PM Go to message in response to: luvmygemini

Thanks everyone for your opinions.  It truly helped out!

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Apr 18, 2008 1:28 PM Go to message in response to: Wunderbride

A true "50's" look would be the dye-to-match shoes. I agree that ivory shoes would throw the whole look off. In the 50's, everyone wore white or ivory gloves with any color, but formal shoes always matched the dress. Silver or pewter would look great with the dresses, but not with the ivory gloves.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine