Calling all seamstresses

Online Users: 1,337 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

DPandME Posts : 24 Registered: 2/28/08
Calling all seamstresses
Posted: Apr 14, 2008 11:37 PM

So I found a dress I totally love, and the price is ok. But my issues is that his has sequins on it... I'm not a huge fan of sequins at all. They look ok, but it's just not me. I was wondering is there any way to buy, or have the seamstress I take my dress to take them off and replace them with some sort of sew on crystals? Do they even make such a thing? How much would an addition like that even cost, ball park?

Thanks ladies!!

November22Bride Posts : 397 Registered: 1/8/08
Re: Calling all seamstresses
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 12:54 PM Go to message in response to: DPandME

Will I’m not a seamstress but I think it would be easier to just to make a new dress, taking off sequins might be a lot of work. I found my seamstress by asking the ladies and the knots local boards.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Wedding.png Wedding image by brooknjake

Beachwed Posts : 782 Registered: 9/19/06
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 12:56 PM Go to message in response to: DPandME

Can you post a picture of the dress?  Maybe we've seen one that's similar without the sequins.

I don't know the prices, but I once had a bridesmaid dress altered that had beading on it, and the woman had to re-construct the top of the dress to fit me. She had to take off the beads and then re-sew them on, and it was expensive. I can only imagine that a wedding gown would be much more expensive to do such tiny detailing to. 

Posted: Apr 15, 2008 4:04 PM Go to message in response to: DPandME

I agree- If you can post a picture that may help.  If the dress is satin, then it may be a problem- satin will show all the holes from the sequins.  Also it's going to depend on what type of crystals you want on the dress.  If you can find one's that can either be hot glued (as in you use a hot plate to heat the back of it where there is already glue) or regular glue on one's the price may be better than one's that need to be hand sown.  This is also going to be a big time commitment- I was going to add beading to the train of my dress but realized it would take too long- so make sure there is enough time.

I never thought I would find you, and now that I have I dont ever want to lose you.

Forever and always

DPandME Posts : 24 Registered: 2/28/08
Posted: Apr 17, 2008 6:48 PM Go to message in response to: DPandME

Well I cant get a pic of the dress to post on here. But it's the new Alfred Angelo Sapphire line. Dress # 753 shown in a light gold color. The flowers on the hip would definitely have to go. (totally not my style) at the top the beading is pretty but there are a lot of sequins on it if you can see from the pic. Unfortunatley i cant seem to find a super big pic of it to focus in on that area.

http://store.dealergownsstore.com/servlet/-strse-172/AlfredAngelo-AlfredAngeloBridalGown-AlfredAngeloWeddingGown-WeddingGown/Detail

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Apr 18, 2008 1:21 PM Go to message in response to: DPandME

It's a pretty dress. Have you seen it "in person"? The description says that it has both sequins and crystals--maybe the sequins aren't too sparkly and you'd like it if you saw it. Have you spoken to the people at the salon? They may be able to order the dress without the flowers, or even with all crystal, rather than sequin and crystal. It probably would be much less expensive to try to customize the dress (or to order a similar style) than to try to have a seamstress pick out each individual sequin--labor is expensive!

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine