OK big big problem.....the wedding certificate...and officiant

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

MrsChocoholic2010 Posts : 20 Registered: 1/24/08
OK big big problem.....the wedding certificate...and officiant
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 6:25 PM

I am getting married in 15 days and I cant believe this. My officiant backed out at the last minute and I do not have proper ID to get my licence. I have my birth certificate coming in the mail, yet that has not arrived yet..... My sister will do the wedding as the officiant, yet shes not ordained...

question... Can you still have the ceremony and reception and just make it legal later? I am so confused.

It only takes a second to get lost in the moment- Heather Kemps

Time is a natural essance to the perfect wedding-Anne Mackewitcz

OrthoRN Posts : 323 Registered: 11/24/07
Re: OK big big problem.....the wedding certificate...and officiant
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 6:29 PM Go to message in response to: MrsChocoholic2010

1) If you are close enough to go to the records office in the county you were born in, they can give you a certificate for about $5 for the birth. I know I got my kids' there.

2) I think you can get ordained on line somewhere??? Or go get married at teh JP & have your sister do the wedding.

Good Luck!

Message was edited by: OrthoRN

OrthoRN Posts : 323 Registered: 11/24/07
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 6:29 PM Go to message in response to: MrsChocoholic2010

Double post - sorry!

Message was edited by: OrthoRN

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 7:14 PM Go to message in response to: OrthoRN

Hi, I'm sorry you are up against this.  I can only begin to imagine how stressful it must be!

Personally I don't see anything wrong with having the wedding & reception, and having a legal ceremony later on with a judge or JP.  In some countries where the government doesn't recognize the church ceremony as being legal, couples do this routinely.  (Although I think the general practice is to have the legal ceremony first, then the beautiful wedding.)

You still have 2 weeks, though.  Your birth certificate might come before then so that you can get the marriage license, and your sister may be able to find a way to get ordained quickly.

Just make sure that you do follow through with the legalities as soon as is practical.

I wish you the best of luck -- not just for the wedding day, but also for a long and happy married life.

"When Women Vote, We All Win!"

EveT

Posted: Mar 28, 2008 11:08 AM Go to message in response to: MrsChocoholic2010

You can google ordained minister or getting ordained and there is sites that will tell you how to get ordained. I have looked into this b4 and it isn't hard to get ordained and not to expensive either. Hope everything turns out for you.
wedding count down  

MrsChocoholic2010 Posts : 20 Registered: 1/24/08
Posted: Mar 31, 2008 11:39 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thanks I finally got my birth certificate and ID now all I have to do is get the licence and an ordained minister...:)

It only takes a second to get lost in the moment- Heather Kemps

Time is a natural essance to the perfect wedding-Anne Mackewitcz

Stevesbride Posts : 79 Registered: 1/1/07
Posted: Apr 4, 2008 7:17 PM Go to message in response to: MrsChocoholic2010

Your sister can become ordained through the Universal Life Church on-line.  It takes 24 hours and is perfectly legal and binding.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine