Is my dress outdated????

Online Users: 1,367 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 15

karmagirl Posts : 11 Registered: 4/16/07
Is my dress outdated????
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 3:40 PM

I bought it two years ago and am now having second thoughts...I just need opinions.....I am not tan...wearing makeup and my hair is a mess...just the dress...share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=2AbtmzVk1cMnIw

* Should I wear a necklace? What about a headband?

I know my hair looks short in the picture but that is because it is tied up...my hair goes to my bottom...extremly long...I was planning on wearing it all curled and half pulled up

Message was edited by: karmagirl

Message was edited by: karmagirl

GlamBride08 Posts : 101 Registered: 8/22/07
Re: Is my dress outdated????
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 3:42 PM Go to message in response to: karmagirl

I think it's gorgeous! Ball gowns are always in style, as are strapless sweetheart necklines. Don't worry so much. I'm sure you will be beautiful no matter what!

The future Mrs. Skaggs

When is my wedding

Posted: Apr 2, 2008 3:43 PM Go to message in response to: karmagirl

I like it!  Especially the back of it. 

You definitely need a dress that you are comfortable with and that you absolutely love, though.  So while I like the dress, you really need to make sure that YOU are happy with it. 

Best of luck!

Valerie

Wedding Date:  September 27, 2008

XYZ1 Posts : 367 Registered: 1/7/08
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 3:48 PM Go to message in response to: GlamBride08

When I saw the title of this thread I was worried you were going to show us some 80s gown with big mutton sleeves Laughing

Your dress isn't outdated at all, I promise!  Check out the Spring 2008 lines from just about any designer, and you'll see lots of sweetheart necklines and ballgown skirts.  Two years isn't really enough time for a bridal gown to go out of style, there are still lots of salons that carry 2006 gowns (and lots of brides looking for discontinued dresses).

Besides, it looks great on you, and that's what really matters! 

coastiebride Posts : 1,365 Registered: 3/26/07
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 4:13 PM Go to message in response to: karmagirl

No i think it is beautiful

Lets not all get caught up in our wedding. Remember we should not only be planning for a our wedding but more so we should be planning for  our marriage. More so then fighting over shades of peach, tuxs, cake flavors and only god knows what else. Because the next morning it is over, guests are gone the flowers have died the cake well lets face it 1/2 of it was tossed out. Cinderella is still a maid, the limo is now a pumpkin And there is life to face ok after wild crazy monkey sex for 7 nights straight, lets not kid out selfs there are priorities After its all gone there's still bills to pay and a job to go back to

Going to the Chapel December 6th 2008

Love is a four-letter word spelled G-I-V-E

KatharineC Posts : 940 Registered: 2/6/08
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 4:48 PM Go to message in response to: coastiebride

I think it's beautiful! It's very similar to mine in shape and neckline, except mine has a split front overlay. You'll look gorgeous! Like a PP, I was also expecting a poofy 80's dress or something!

When is my wedding

On October 31st 2008 I marry my One True Love!

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 5:18 PM Go to message in response to: KatharineC

I agree, it looks beautiful and not the least outdated!

You asked about accessories.  I generally think it's nice to wear a necklace with a strapless style to fill in your neck/chest area.  You could pick up the silvery tones from the dress, or you could go with something colorful, maybe picking up colors from your bouquet.

Are you planning to wear a veil?  You mentioned a headband, and yes that would be a nice idea too.  I have seen veil styles that attach to a headband if you want to combine the two.  If you do that, then you might want to keep any earrings small so you don't end up with too much "stuff" around your face.

In any case, the gown is lovely and very becoming on you!

"When Women Vote, We All Win!"

EveT

Posted: Apr 2, 2008 5:23 PM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

i love it!! i would wear a necklace something small, and have you considered a tiara?? the veil behind it would be cute. Is this a recent picture? I have just about the same length hair...im doing mine in a sort of poofy thing on top with the sides curled, so im just wearing the veil...

FALLbrideINLOVE Posts : 1,056 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 5:58 PM Go to message in response to: karmagirl

love it.  looks so cute on you.  i say yes to a delicate necklace and NO to a headband, if you still have short hair it will look to alice in wonderland!

Posted: Apr 2, 2008 6:22 PM Go to message in response to: karmagirl

I love the dress! It's still in style & it's very beautiful!

~ STEPHEN & MELISSA - DECEMBER 27, 2008 ~

When is my wedding

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 7:07 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Your dress is beautiful. I am wearing a similar style - sweetheart neckline with full skirt and I bought it because I thought it looked nice and because it was classic that would never go out of style. Mine is a 2007 gown. I love the shoes too, but then thats because they are very similar to mine. lol. I also went for a blingy rhinestone strappy sandle because i wanted to be able to wear my shoes again. Plus I didn't want to have to drag anything around to match white shoes and white dress. Dr. Scholls has a lovely small insole designed for strappy sandals so you can't see the insole from the side. very comfortable and I highly recommend.

Charlotte09 Posts : 1,021 Registered: 2/22/08
Posted: Apr 3, 2008 12:08 AM Go to message in response to: karmagirl

Your dress is not outdated at all. I have been a bridal consultant for over a year now and the entire time I have been helping brides friend their gowns strapless a-line has been in. I think it is something that can be very timeless, even though strapless was not always a look. I do not see your dress going out of style anytime soon though. 

As far as what you should do with hair and jewelry. I think a necklace is a must because it is a strapless dress. And having your hair curled and half up will look great. I would also suggest in investing in some really gorgeous dangling earrings because your hair will be somewhat out of the way and because your dress has great details that will make jewelry look great also.  

karmagirl Posts : 11 Registered: 4/16/07
Posted: Apr 3, 2008 7:24 AM Go to message in response to: Charlotte09

so you think dangling earrings any suggestions on necklaces? What about a headband?

Deedsbride Posts : 69 Registered: 5/8/07
Posted: Apr 3, 2008 7:27 AM Go to message in response to: karmagirl

didnt you already post this on the knot?

lmc07 Posts : 271 Registered: 1/4/07
Posted: Apr 3, 2008 8:32 AM Go to message in response to: karmagirl

Your dress is gorgeous! Very elegant!! 

I would not wear a necklace as it might interfere with the sparkling brooch. In my opinion, matching (dangling) earrings would work best.

What kind of headband were you thinking about? I wore a little tiara with tiny crystals just to sparkle it up and to hide the clip of my veil.  

BTW, I like your idea of wearing your hair in curles - it's sooo romantic!! 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine