How much are you paying for dress alterations?

Online Users: 1,332 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 19

Celiny Posts : 285 Registered: 7/23/07
How much are you paying for dress alterations?
Posted: Mar 31, 2008 10:09 AM

So I went to pick up my dress today. The alterations cost $285. I thought that seemed pretty steep. Especially considering my dress is a pretty basic, mermaid style in satin.

So I was wondering.... how much are other people paying for alterations?

Beachwed Posts : 782 Registered: 9/19/06
Re: How much are you paying for dress alterations?
Posted: Mar 31, 2008 10:30 AM Go to message in response to: Celiny

My dress was very simple, mermaid with only a few layers and so I got a cheaper rate, I think it was about $100 (at a really nice place so it was a steal there). The woman mentioned to me that she typically adds on extra because it's a bridal gown, I think because they're extra careful and often steam it as well. She took off this "bridal gown fee" on mine because it was so simple, but typically they tack on an extra fee just because they're working slower and more carefully. I'm not sure what a typical price would be though.

Mrslinnben Posts : 2,285 Registered: 6/4/07
Posted: Mar 31, 2008 1:35 PM Go to message in response to: Celiny

My alterations were free!  The store that I used doesn't charge for their alterations.

EmSer Posts : 68 Registered: 3/21/08
Posted: Mar 31, 2008 1:42 PM Go to message in response to: Celiny

Wow, you guys are paying alot! Although free would be really nice, mine $70 only because I have a friend who does alterations professionally and was willing to do mine at her house, such a blessing!

Can't Wait To Be Mrs.S!!!

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Posted: Mar 31, 2008 2:05 PM Go to message in response to: Celiny

I had to pay $310 for mine which sucked since my dress itself only cost me $485 out the door. 

I had my straps converted to detachable straps, which wasn't that expensive.  The expensive items were having to take the sides in quite a bit, which required her to remove all the beads and then sew them all back on and then 4 bustles at $20 each (too high for a bustle if you ask me -- it's just an eyelet and strings for cying out loud.... I probably could've done that part myself!!)  

Daisypath Ticker

Jerseygal8785 Posts : 144 Registered: 12/5/06
Posted: Mar 31, 2008 2:10 PM Go to message in response to: Celiny

$500 . ..

BrideChica Posts : 2,300 Registered: 12/25/06
Posted: Mar 31, 2008 2:13 PM Go to message in response to: Celiny

I paid $100 for mine, but only bc it was a seamstress who did this on the side.  She worked at the bridal boutique where my friend bought her dress and they charge $245.  She also did a wonderful job...my bustle was beautiful!

MrsHF Posts : 368 Registered: 10/12/07
Posted: Mar 31, 2008 7:33 PM Go to message in response to: BrideChica

My dress fits almost perfectly (big sigh of relief-I was dreading needing major alterations) so $60.00 for a bustle and to fix the gape at the top of the bust.

PaigeElizabeth Posts : 33 Registered: 3/10/08
Posted: Mar 31, 2008 9:48 PM Go to message in response to: MrsHF

The store I bought my dress from includes alterations in with the price of the dress, so I don't really know.  I guess this might be a regional thing, because all of the stores I looked at included alterations in the price of their dresses (bridal, not BM--those were seprate).
June 6, 2009

Posted: Mar 31, 2008 9:52 PM Go to message in response to: PaigeElizabeth

thanks for the post, was just going to post the same question lol....anyone get alterations at Davids Bridal...im thinking i might take it elsewhere if its too expensive....

Celiny Posts : 285 Registered: 7/23/07
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 10:55 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thanks for all of the replies. I guess my alterations were high, but there are some much higher. I don't think any of the bridal stores in my area include alterations. It would have been really nice if they did. I could have used that $285 towards other things.

DeezNuttiest Posts : 200 Registered: 1/10/08
Posted: Apr 3, 2008 1:42 AM Go to message in response to: Celiny

the first shop i was going to buy my dress at capped her alterations at $200 no matter what needed to be done but  the shop i went with offered me free alterations to sweeten the deal.

coastiebride Posts : 1,365 Registered: 3/26/07
Posted: Apr 3, 2008 2:16 AM Go to message in response to: Celiny

Well the designer that i ordered most of the alterations are done in the factory so there is little alterations to be done i had my bussle which cost 45 and a small tuck and breast cups put in and i think it ran me $120 i believe  

Lets not all get caught up in our wedding. Remember we should not only be planning for a our wedding but more so we should be planning for  our marriage. More so then fighting over shades of peach, tuxs, cake flavors and only god knows what else. Because the next morning it is over, guests are gone the flowers have died the cake well lets face it 1/2 of it was tossed out. Cinderella is still a maid, the limo is now a pumpkin And there is life to face ok after wild crazy monkey sex for 7 nights straight, lets not kid out selfs there are priorities After its all gone there's still bills to pay and a job to go back to

Going to the Chapel December 6th 2008

Love is a four-letter word spelled G-I-V-E

Posted: Apr 3, 2008 2:27 AM Go to message in response to: Celiny

Mine's getting altered now. She charges $30/hr and says she thinks it will be around $200

Beca Posts : 361 Registered: 9/28/06
Posted: Apr 3, 2008 8:52 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Actually, When I bought my dress (option #1 = $1,000, not including alterations) I was between that one & a pronovias from another store, option #2, which cost was $1,435 including any kind of alteration.

After trying the option #1, I was talking to my sister in private & told her that I prefer to buy the pronovias dress since the alterations of the #1 will basically increase the price to 1,300 & I would end up paying the same amount for the 2 dresses. The sales person heard me talking to my sister & she talked to the owner store & she told me I that all the alterations will be included in the sales price of 1K, if I decided to buy the dress that same day, SOOOOO!! That's what I did. I bought the dress  for 1K with no extra cost for alterations which I'm really happy for!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine