Eh, reception question... bit of a dumb one.

Online Users: 1,279 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

Retired Posts : 808 Registered: 4/17/06
Eh, reception question... bit of a dumb one.
Posted: Mar 25, 2008 11:44 AM

Okay, so we're debating the type of wedding we want now.

We're having a small wedding, and it's in the middle of the week. Both of us like the idea of an afternoon wedding - I like the way the sun looks for photos (outside wedding) and he likes the idea of the wedding being over around 5 or 6 so we can go off together and have the rest of the night to ourselves. So we were thinking a 2pm ceremony and about a 3pm reception.

My question, however, is this: would an hors d'eurves/cake and punch reception be acceptable at this time? My parents (they aren't paying, just guiding) thought it was a good idea because, as my dad said, 3pm is a little too late for lunch and a little too early for dinner, so offering some cool "bites" would be a better idea.

What do you think? Do you think they have a good point about the too late/too early thing? http://This would also solve issues of seating charts, because guests would be free to sit where they wanted... and the setaing arrangements were going to be a different can of worms altogether with FH's super-clashing families that I couldn't figure out how to seat without a fistfight ensuing.

Re: Eh, reception question... bit of a dumb one.
Posted: Mar 25, 2008 11:51 AM Go to message in response to: Retired

I am having an afternoon wedding (3pm ceremony, 4pm reception) so that I could serve heavy hors d'vours instead of a sit down meal (we're on a tight budget).  We're serving some decent food - roast beef, chicken salad, cucumber, and pimento cheese sandwiches; veggies; fruit; desserts; cheeses; mini-baked potatoes, etc. - so there will be plenty to eat, but it's cheaper than an actual sit down meal.  And, you are right, it saves the headache of a seating chart!  We are planning to end our reception around 6:30 or 7, so that way if people are still hungry they can go out to eat afterwards. 

So I say hors d'vours instead of a meal at that time of day is perfectly acceptable!

IMGhttp://www.whenismywedding.com/signature/4ccbefae87800b7d.gif[/IMG][/URL]

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: Mar 25, 2008 12:00 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi, Nocturnius --  I think your plan sounds lovely and perfectly appropriate for midafternoon. 

The only time it becomes awkward not to serve a full meal is when the event runs clear through the lunch or dinner hour.  Even around lunchtime you can get away with just cake & punch if the reception is brief.  It's when guests are expected to hang around from mid-late afternoon all through the evening that they suffer from lack of dinner (believe me, I once went to a 5 PM wedding with a long reception and nothing but hors d'oeuvres to eat -- if the invitation had made this clear, I would have stopped at McDonald's between the ceremony and the reception.)

Best wishes for a beautiful wedding and a long & happy married life!

"When Women Vote, We All Win!"

EveT

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Mar 25, 2008 2:49 PM Go to message in response to: Retired

It sounds perfect. In some cultures, this is "tea time," so you could bill it as a wedding tea and people would know exactly what to expect.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

LochNessie Posts : 1,631 Registered: 4/2/07
Posted: Mar 25, 2008 10:09 PM Go to message in response to: myra

Sounds like a great idea, Nocturnius.  I bet it will be lovely.

-Ness

Check out my work bridal blog: http://vclarke.encblogs.com.  I also need to come up with a name for it!  Who wants to help? 

Oh baby don't it feel like Heaven right now? Don't it feel like something from a dream? - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

B2B999 Posts : 700 Registered: 12/7/07
Posted: Mar 26, 2008 5:16 PM Go to message in response to: Retired

I think so long as it starts on or after 1 and ends on or after 5 you are fine. If you are finding it difficult to fit everything in to only a 2 hour reception then you could even move the ceremony up an hour, have that at 1 p.m. and then have the reception from 3 to 5 so you have a bit more time with your friends and family.

I think it sounds lovely, but as a PP stated I would make sure that you inform your guests as to what type of reception it will be.....

"English Tea" or "Light Refreshments" to follow at Name Of Reception Location (or if at the same location...just to follow)

When is my wedding

MrsWhtrse04 Posts : 116 Registered: 3/1/07
Posted: Mar 26, 2008 5:38 PM Go to message in response to: Retired

I had a three thirty wedding and served small sandwiches and veggie/fruit trays that kidna thing so yeah I think it's a good. The only thing I would say is don't expect people to stay for a long time if your reception runs into dinner time. A lot of my guests left because they wanted dinner

MrsKristenA Posts : 23 Registered: 6/6/07
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 12:23 AM Go to message in response to: MrsWhtrse04

You mentioned you liked the afternoon because of the sun for the pictures...I just wanted to give you a heads up that the afternoon is the WORST possible time for pictures. The sun is too hot (bright), and the time from noon till about four or 4:30 is very harsh.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine