Second-guessing myself over photographer I've booked...help!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 37

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Re: Second-guessing myself over photographer I've booked...help!
Posted: Mar 17, 2008 11:53 PM Go to message in response to: KatharineC

Katharine,

Please don't take her double checking the date as a bad sign.  One of my biggest fears that I share with many other photographers, is accidentally double booking a date.  In fact, you really should take it as a good sign for photographers do tend to remember the dates we are booked (that's the other fear, forgetting a wedding!).  So the fact that she did not recognize the date and want to check is a good sign in my book.

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

KatharineC Posts : 940 Registered: 2/6/08
Posted: Mar 18, 2008 3:21 AM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

Howard, you always know just what to say! Thank you! Actually the bad sign I was taking it as, was the fact that she didn't get back to me the whole day.

Still haven't heard from her... hold thumbs etc!

When is my wedding

On October 31st 2008 I marry my One True Love!

Posted: Mar 21, 2008 5:31 AM Go to message in response to: KatharineC

I thought I'd get you guys up to speed on what happened about this. The photographer (ACP) came back to me - the reason she was double-checking the date is because my wedding is on Halloween and her community social club always has a big Halloween do, where they decorate their houses etc, and her family always wins "scariest house". It's a big family event for them. I can understand that. Problem is that she says it generally isn't actually ON Halloween, last year it was a week before and it could easily be on any other day. So she has been trying to get hold of the social club to pin them to a date. Except there is a new committee who have actually just decided not to do the usual Easter event this year, and no one there will give her a straight answer as to whether Halloween is actually happening, or when! I totally understand that this is a fun family event that she doesn't want to miss; I just wish her damn social club would get their act together.

So now what do I do?

Option One: I do nothing, keep the photographer I've booked, until I hear from her again, and then decide.

Option Two: It's possible that she'll never find out what's going to happen in October. Do I then just forget about changing my photographer and keep the guy I booked?

Option  Three: I have found a guy I like more than the guy I booked, and almost as much as her (but just not AS much dammit!) so should I make an appointment to go see him or wait a little longer to se what ACP finds out? It has actually only been five days since she first got my email to today - should I wait longer? I don't want to mess my 2nd choice guy around either if I decide to go that route.

All sooo complex...

When is my wedding

Elbelle77 Posts : 222 Registered: 1/24/08
Posted: Mar 21, 2008 10:38 AM Go to message in response to: KatharineC

Hi Katharine,

I've been going through the whole photographer thing too: comparing work, prices, and packages.  I know how stressful it can be.  I'd suggest making an appointment with that new photographer while you are waiting to hear back from ACP.  

I had seen a friend's album that I just loved, so was convinced I would use her photographer, but had already made an appointment with someone else.  I went to see that other photographer knowing I probably wasn't going to book him and was so impressed by his work.  His albums were just as beautiful as the other photographer, but he offered more for his price and had an incredible videographer to work with too!

So it doesn't hurt to shop around, you never know what you may find.  Don't worry about messing around your 2nd choice guy.  This is a big decision and photographers know that you're shopping around.  

Good luck and keep us posted on what happens. 

Posted: Mar 22, 2008 9:22 AM Go to message in response to: Elbelle77

Thanks, Elbelle! I just wish I hadn't booked that other guy already. I'm so annoyed with myself; I was just stressing that people would get booked up fast and I had to do it that month, and I really thought I couldn't afford the person I really liked!

After the Easter weekend if I haven't heard back from ACP, I will contact Option # 2 guy and make an appointment to go see more of his pictures and just generally see if we like him. I'm just terrified of ACP becoming available AFTER I've booked someone else! Because I'm not cancelling TWO photographers (especially since the deposit is non-refundable. The only reason I can cancel my first guy if I want to is that his deposit is only 10% of his whole cost, whereas everyone else's seem to be 50%).

When is my wedding

Posted: Mar 22, 2008 12:23 PM Go to message in response to: KatharineC

Katharine,

From what you've written, it seems to me that no matter what you will never be happy with the photographer you've currently booked.  You've already found two photographers you like better and I'm sure there are many more in your area.  So imagine yourself 10 years from now.  Think about how you are going to feel when looking at the photos taken by the photographer you've already booked.  I'm willing to bet there will be an undercurrent of "regretful what could have been"

With that said, I think you know what you need to do.  That is keep looking for a new photographer.  The photographer with the party knows she has to make a choice.  In the meantime, you don't owe her anything.  It does not hurt to look around and meet with other photographers.  If you find one you like better and you can afford them, you've got options.  Book them or wait for the gal. 

I would also give her a deadline to make a decision.  It is not fair to keep you on the hook indefinitely.   You've got a wedding to plan. 

Finally, once you book with the new photographer, send your old photographer a letter to inform them you are canceling their services.   

Posted: Mar 22, 2008 1:10 PM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

Thanks, Howard! You always put my thoughts down so clearly.

My problem with ACP is that I want her so badly, that I'm scared to give her a deadline because I know her response will be: "I know I'm just messing you around, so you should just book the other guy, because I don't know if and when I'll ever find out about this Halloween party."

All of which is true, and I get the impression that it's not like she's hard-up for clients, so she'd rather be sure not to miss the party than book me. So it's actually me that's keeping myself on the hook, because if it turns out I could have had her and I lost her, I wll be sooo depressed!

But you are right about the fact that I should go look at my option # 2 guy's work so long, and then decide. Because I AM never going to be completely happy with the guy I've got. I don't know what I was thinking, it's so unlike me to do something like that in a rush.

When is my wedding

Posted: Mar 22, 2008 3:51 PM Go to message in response to: KatharineC

Katharine,

I don't put your thoughts down clearly, I just look at what you've written and restate your thoughts.  The difference is that you are emotionally attached to your thoughts and I'm not.  When you see my restatement, it no longer has your emotions.  You've known all along what you wanted.

As bad as you may want ACP, if it is meant to be, it will.  If not, then at least she has served her purpose in making you aware of your unhappiness with the photographer you have.  For all we know, you might meet another photographer and love them even more!  

There are plenty of photographers out there.  You have the ability to keep looking, knowing that you have a backup plan in case you can't get the photographer of your dreams.  

Posted: Mar 22, 2008 5:02 PM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

Since losing your deposit doesn't bother you--and you have your heart set on ACP, check out #2 and then if you like him as well or better book him. Otherwise get back to ACP and ask when is the latest she will know so that you can make appropriate decisions, I don't know about how it is in your neck of the woods but around here you would want this nailed at 6 months.

Now for the different perspective. My daughter and I had our heart set on a particular photographer who was definitely a cut above but had a more reasonable package than the upper tier. Still definitely more than our budget. I was the one obsessing on this--for the same reasons you site about the memories, creativity, yada yada yada. Well, I was on pins and needles as he went back and forth about availability and finally it was a no go. In retrospect, this "disappointment" allowed us to put this in perspective. We ended up booking someone probably similar to the guy who did your sister's wedding. Remember--you liked her pictures well enough that you remembered him 4 years later. Perhaps they weren't as arty--but it sounds like they were good. Well this company was much, much, cheaper--included the albums, extra pictures, and DVD like your guy. We just got the engagement photos back and they were fabulous--moreover I'm not feeling that more photos to agonize over is necessarily a blessing--its hard to choose!  Anyway, my daughter is thrilled that she didn't go with a package where you would pay more and also have the extra time and expense of putting the album together. We know brides that thought this was so important and never got around to it...all I'm saying is that if plan A and plan B fail...The guy you booked with may not be such a bad option after all. Best of Luck!

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 4:19 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thanks, Howard, for your unemotionally attached restatement of my thoughts, then! :-) You're right, I've always known what I have to do! That said, MomofGreatBride makes a very good point too. I did remember this guy more than four years later. OTOH, that was before I saw the better stuff out there! I have just over seven months, so perhaps I will give ACP another three weeks to come through for me. That puts me halfway through April, which is six and a half months. In the meantime I will go and see Option # 2 guy. If his stuff doesn't blow me away I'll forget about him and then MAYBE consider sticking with my guy. I have done a lot of research into phorographers in my area and no one else gave me the "wow" factor but these two, but I think I might re-look into it now just to give myself more options! I don't think I will stick with my guy though.

Thank you all SO much for being my sounding boards, especially Howard who responds to all my wailing posts. I really do appreciate the time everyone is giving me to help me out in my dilemma that's my own fault!

When is my wedding

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 12:37 PM Go to message in response to: KatharineC

Our photographer gave us all proofs on a DVD, a slide show, and all proofs printed.  No album.  It was perfect.  I made our own coffee table book albums using mypublisher.com and it worked perfectly.  They came out beautiful, I got 5 large books with covers for $250 total.  You just download their software and design your book using the pictures from the DVD the photographer gives you.  They're always having sales and coupons too, so watch out for that.  I think I got our books like 50% off or something like that because they had a pre-christmas special.  

I vote cancel the original photographer and go with ACP.  You'll like the freedom to design your own album and play with your own pictures.  Besides, you can always order professional quality prints from snapfish.com or something like that.  That's where our photographer ordered our proofs from and they're wonderful.  

If anyone is looking for a fantastic photographer in the Central Florida area, look up Sara Kaus Photography.  I'd recommend her to anyone! 

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 2:26 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Yes, I did like the idea of making up my own album from the photos I like best! They always say you don't get around to it, but if I liked the photos enough then I think I would. I didn't think of being able to do my own coffee table book, though. Wow, that sounds fantastic.

Thanks!

When is my wedding

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 2:34 PM Go to message in response to: KatharineC

Katharine,

Just like there are many alternatives to get from NJ to Orlando, drive, train, bus, airline.  Then once you pick an airline, there are connections, direct flights, plus 10 different airlines and then other choices to make.  You could even decide to walk!  Yet there is no right or wrong decision if you get to Orlando.  However, if you have a bad travel experience you will talk about it for years to come.  

Wedding photography is exactly the same.  There are so many choices.   You are lucky because you are in an area with many photographers available to you.  I guarantee that if you continue to look, you will find more photographers who will WOW you.  You can start by looking at the vendor section here are Brides.com.  I also recommend you take a look at www.wedfog.com (yes I know it is a weird name) but there are some great photographers there too.

PS.  If you have not already done so, could you please respond to my thread  "Payment Plan Question" as I would really like to have your input.

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 3:00 PM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

Hi Howard,

Thanks to Brides.com's policy of apparently not wanting anyone outside America to participate on their boards, I've essentially had to dupe them by pretending I'm from NY, whereas in actual fact I'm not from the US at all. I'm sorry, I keep forgetting that this misleads people who look at my profile. I had to pick a state or it wouldn't let me enter!

I have been looking at a multitude of US-based photographers, just in order to see what's out there, what styles I like, etc. I went to wedfog and had a lot of fun there! Pity the forum is so small, I was just getting going when it ended.

Luckily for me I live in the biggest city in South Africa, so things could be worse: there are LOTS of photographers around here. Weddings are a big business! My venue is one of many in a stretch just outside town, referred to as the "Wedding Mile" (though it's bigger than a mile!) Anyway, I had a lot of pamphlets I picked up at a wedding expo, so I went through those this afternoon, and I also went to local planning sites to see what photographers they recommended, and then, finally, I just googled and came up with a bunch more. I must have looked at about forty wedding photographer's websites today.

Conclusion: ACP is the best, followed by my # 2 guy, then there is another guy who comes in 3rd for me but his prices are astronomical. And then everyone else just falls into a big heap of indistinguishabilty (if that's even a word), including my booked photographer. So basically I've just made 200% sure of my decision!

Yes, I'll go find your payment plan thread and read it now! Sorry, I must have missed that.

When is my wedding

hesofine Posts : 15 Registered: 1/2/08
YOU aren't being silly at all
Posted: Mar 23, 2008 11:00 PM Go to message in response to: KatharineC

First of all I hate to disagree with your mother but these are the only items that you will have after everything else is gone. These pictures are what you will be looking at a lifetime! your kids will see them OMG don't worry about the money when it comes to your pictures! Cut back on something else.

It doesn't matter the "stuff" that you get with your pictures yuo should thinkg of the quality that you get.  I don't know who this acp is WE are choosing LOVESIMPLYHAPPENS.COM by Sherrlyn borkgren

we saw her pictures and loved her and the style right away. I just decided I don't even want to look at her price I just want her and am making it happen.  It's amazing how easy it became once we decided. My advise is that you should go with who your gut is telling you to go with. Again don't worry about the stuff they offer or don't, think about the quality that you will be living with forever, think about your grandchildren seeing the pictures and about looking at them 50 years from now and how you will feel. YOu can get an album a year later or when you think you can afford one. they are pretty expensive to get a good one but I imagine the guy throwing one in isn't giving you the best one around anyway.   Go with what you feel don't worry about stuff, and remember that it is forever.  That is my opinion.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine