How much is too much??

Online Users: 1,264 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6
How much is too much??
Posted: Jan 19, 2007 6:48 PM

It took forever for my sister (MOH) and I to figuer out which bridesmaid maid dress to choose.  We ended up with a Lazaro that is about $300.  Since my finace wanted a larger wedding party on my side (I only wanted my sis).  We asked two of his cousins, which in turn to keep the peace, I asked my two cousins.  My cousins thought the the dress was way to expensive.  My wedding is Florida and they live up north.  With the cost of driveing/flying down, rooms, the dress, shoes, and getting their nails done, am I asking them too much?  Is there some rule out there on how much you can ask your BM to spend without sacrificing the style of your wedding? 

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Re: How much is too much??
Posted: Jan 19, 2007 8:09 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Well, I dont think there is any specific "rule" on this, however, I personally think that $300 is a lot to ask your BMs to spend on just the dress alone. Especially considering, as you said, that they also have to travel, get rooms, salon, etc. The key word here is SACRIFICE. You have to sacrifice something. Either change the dresses to make them something thats more affordable for your wedding party, OR if that style of gown is very important to you, maybe you could offer to help them pay for it... or help them in other areas like salon, shoes, other expenses. You are not obligated to do this, but just keep in mind they are not obligated to be in the wedding if they simply cannot afford to.
Kelley Lynn:)

kshubrick Posts : 7 Registered: 3/23/08
Posted: Mar 23, 2008 12:06 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I found a great article on how to find affordable wedding dresses - I'm guessing these tips can help when applied to bridesmaids dresses as well.

http://weddingfashion.suite101.com/article.cfm/affordable_wedding_dresses

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Mar 23, 2008 9:31 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I agree with Kelley that $300 seems too high, but the important thing is that your BRIDESMAIDS have said that it seems too high, and they are the ones who have to pay for it. 

If you and your sister really love the dress, perhaps she can wear that one and you can find a less expensive, but complimentary dress for the other BMs. Since your sister is the MOH, it is Ok for her dress to be different than the others. Would that work? 

DaisypathWedding Ticker

DoubleGreen Posts : 285 Registered: 8/12/07
Posted: Mar 23, 2008 9:43 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

You are running quite a tab with your girls. I would have allocated at least half of the cost of each of the dresses in my budget to help them out.

LizS Posts : 1,982 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Mar 24, 2008 11:10 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I think $300 is a lot of money to spend on a dress for one day for a wedding that is not the BMs.  I think $100- $150 is "average" for a BMs dress.  I found some for $300+ that I liked and my sisters liked, but I knew the other BMs would never pay that much for a dress.  So, I never asked them to spend that much. You can get something simple, classy and elegnat for closer to at least $150- $175.  You may have to look harder, but they are out there.

Unless you plan on picking up the tab for 1/2, I would find a different dress.

Posted: Mar 24, 2008 11:15 AM Go to message in response to: kshubrick

anyone noticing that all of these old posts are being brought back to life by the same person, promoting articles from the same website?

ugh.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine