flower girl too old?

Online Users: 1,277 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 14

stfballplayer7 Posts : 271 Registered: 3/17/08
flower girl too old?
Posted: Mar 22, 2008 1:11 PM

my little cousin has wanted to be my flower girl for like EVER and she is seriously one of my best friends we talk about a lot of stuff and she is very smart for her age. but to the point she is 8 now and when the wedding gets here next year she will be 9. she is tall for her age she stands about to my shoulders. but she really wants to be flower girl and i have no problem with it. what do you guys think?

p.s. she is the youngest out of my whole family and i believe his as well.

THE FUTURE MRS. B.R. HERB  4/13/09

Re: flower girl too old?
Posted: Mar 22, 2008 1:56 PM Go to message in response to: stfballplayer7

I think its a lovely thing to do and you shouldn't care about age. I also think having her called a Jr. Bridesmaid could work as well, depending on what would be most meaningful for the two of you. I don't think we should discriminate and not use people between the ages of 8 and 12 because of someone else's since of convention. Have a lovely wedding!

Posted: Mar 22, 2008 2:12 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

she pretty much has he heart set on flower girl. and thank you =]

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: Mar 22, 2008 2:57 PM Go to message in response to: stfballplayer7

Sure, she can be flower girl!  I've heard of a wedding in which the FG was one of the grandmothers or great-grandmothers (I forget which).  A lady I know who coordinates the weddings in her church (Catholic) described a wedding in which the FG was the couple's dog.  You can do it however you and your FH and families wish -- naturally, consult with your officiant and church, but I can't imagine they would have an age limit for FG.

Best wishes!

"When Women Vote, We All Win!"

EveT

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: Mar 22, 2008 3:21 PM Go to message in response to: stfballplayer7

I don't see a problem with her being a FG!  I went to a wedding once, and the groom sprinkled the rose petals down for his bride!  I thought that was a sweet gesture.  So there is really no age limit.  Go for it!

SparrowSong Posts : 77 Registered: 11/5/07
Posted: Mar 22, 2008 3:28 PM Go to message in response to: stfballplayer7

I would much rather have a 9 year old flowergirl who is excited about things than a 2 year old how throws a hissy fit and refuses to walk down the aisle.

Honestly I think flower girls and ring bearers have gotten younger and younger over the years and now almost always are too young for what is expected. Too many weddings I've been to have been disrupted by tantrums and unpredictable behavior by the "oh so cute" todders and babies doing a 6-9 year old's job. Sorry to rant, but it's kind of a pet peeve of mine.  

I think your cousin will do a great job. 

Retired Posts : 808 Registered: 4/17/06
Posted: Mar 22, 2008 7:07 PM Go to message in response to: stfballplayer7

I was the flowergirl at my oldest sister's wedding when I was 9. Exactly 9. I remember because the year I turned 19 was their ten-year anniversary.

No one even noticed. Everyone was too busy babbling about OMG SHE IS SO CUTE.

Nothing wrong with an older flowergirl at all. I actually don't think flowergirls should be under 6, because every wedding I've been at who had a younger flowergirl it wound up a disaster. http://4-year-old got stage fright at the last minute and wouldn't come out, 2-year-old got halfway down the aisle, started crying hysterically and turned around and ran back down the aisle screaming. 3-year-old threw a temper-tantrum at the FRONT of the aisle RIGHT in front of the altar, lying on the floor kicking her feet and everything. Another 3-year-old got halfway down, decided she didn't feel like walking anymore and just sat down right in the middle of the aisle.

jessd0320 Posts : 1,491 Registered: 7/4/06
Posted: Mar 22, 2008 7:13 PM Go to message in response to: Retired

My FG was 8 and she did wonderful. Or maybe she was 9, I honestly can't do the math right now. But I see nothing wrong with a 9-year-old flower girl (esp since mine might have been 9 too!). I know they say 9 year olds could be junior bridesmaids, but that seems a little young for that title to me. And if she has her heart set on flower girl, why not have her do it? You know she's old enough and can get the job done!

I am training to run a marathon and raising money to help cure blood cancers. To donate or for more information: www.active.com/donate/tntwi/JDurso

Follow me on my training journey: www.jessica-teamintraining.blogspot.com

ChristyEason Posts : 443 Registered: 11/6/07
Posted: Mar 22, 2008 10:04 PM Go to message in response to: jessd0320

My daughter is going to be 9 and she is my flower girl and my ring bearer is 10  so age to me doesn't matter.  They have their hearts set on it and I don't care if no one else likes it.  It is my wedding any way and I can have who I want for what.  No one really has a problem with it, though.

Christy

Posted: Mar 22, 2008 10:07 PM Go to message in response to: stfballplayer7

If she wants to, why not?

I don't think age matters, I always wanted to be in a wedding when I was little and it looks like the one wedding I will be in will be mine! :) 

Plus if shes the youngest one in your family then it will make sence to everyone anyways.

I have a large family but I am basically the only girl, so we are using my FH little sister who is going to be 2 in the wedding. Which some may say is too young but its his sister so even if there where others to choose from who were older I would chose her.

I don't think age matters though, its your wedding have fun with it. 

BrandNewAmy Posts : 341 Registered: 7/3/07
Posted: Mar 22, 2008 10:48 PM Go to message in response to: SparrowSong

I agree with SparrowSong that it's better to have an older flowergirl who's on the ball than a younger one who may really ruin your "dream wedding" with typical young-child behavior.  Let's face it, a four-year-old just doesn't get that she's going to have to walk all the way down an aisle all by herself -- until she's walking down an aisle all by herself.  All she knows is that she gets to wear a pretty dress and people are going to fawn over her because she's cute. 

My 8-year-old niece is going to be my FG and she is not only still totally adorable, but she is VERY SERIOUS about her "job". ;-)  I'm letting her choose her dress from several I've narrowed down, we've picked our her basket together, and she's got the logistics down pat. 

Her slightly older brother, by the way (who will be 9 by the wedding), is going to be the ring bearer.  When we asked him to be the RB, we did so thinking that HE might think he was too old for the job.  On the contrary; he is thrilled. 

If your cousin is excited about being your FG, she'll do a great job for you.

Trying to lose 40 lbs. by November 16th!  My weight loss mantra:  "Don't give up what you want the most for what you want at the moment."

Check out our web site:  http://amyandrodney.wedquarters.com/ 

FutureMrsNajar Posts : 159 Registered: 11/15/07
Posted: Mar 23, 2008 5:43 AM Go to message in response to: stfballplayer7

Its not a big deal. I dont think she is too old at all but i have a suggestion ... Im having multiple flower girls just because i wanted to and they range in age between 4-8. The oldest is 8. Anyway im going to have we walk down the aisle with a bunch of roses and then hand a rose to women as she walks down the aisle. My church wont let me throw any petals down the aisle and i figured she was old enough to have a real job.

"When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.

~ June 28, 2008 ~

springorchid Posts : 176 Registered: 4/8/07
Posted: Mar 23, 2008 5:40 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I was actually 2 when I was the flower girl at my aunt's wedding.  My older brother (the RB) walked me down the aisle. My dad picked me up when I got to the end and I slept on his lap the whole time...he put me back down just in time to walk out.  I didn't cause any problems and, if I do say so myself, I looked pretty damn cute.  Good luck with her!

DoubleGreen Posts : 285 Registered: 8/12/07
Posted: Mar 23, 2008 9:15 PM Go to message in response to: stfballplayer7

Flowergirls are traditionally confused, cute little girls, but I've seen grown women as flowergirls and didn't think anything of it. The girl has her heart set to being your flowergirl, I would feel honored to have her no matter what anyone says.

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 9:30 PM Go to message in response to: stfballplayer7

i'm going for it... i told her that she is my official flower girl. she is so excited. i even let her pick out a tiara. and it's very pretty. she has very good taste, i mean she will tell you if something is ugly and find something else that would look better. it's kind of  funny. sometimes i do it just to see her reaction... she takes after me =]

and thank you everyone for all the advise you guys are willing to give, not just in this forum but others as well =]

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine