Suggested makeup for photos?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

kittyfk Posts : 119 Registered: 2/18/07
Suggested makeup for photos?
Posted: Mar 22, 2008 5:42 PM

Hi all,

A friend of mine will be applying my make up because she is really good at it and FH and I are on a fairly tight budget.  I'd rather spend on the money on high quality makup and a nice thank you for her than on professional makeup that I will wash off that night (plus I'll have her there if I need a touch up!). 

Our plan was to use bare minerals because she's used it and has enough to at least try on me.  But while I was booking my appointments at a salon I overheard that mineral makeup doesn't photograph well.  Does anyone have any suggestions? 

I guess that's one plus to having the pros do it, but the budget  is just too tight.  And I noticed a lot of the salons do use mineral makeup, so maybe that was just this one woman's opinion?  We might experiment with a camera, but I don't know how much it will help because a photographer's camera will be such a higher quality. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

coastiebride Posts : 1,365 Registered: 3/26/07
Re: Suggested makeup for photos?
Posted: Mar 22, 2008 6:47 PM Go to message in response to: kittyfk

I'm not sure why it dosn;t but my make-up artiest who is also a personal friend of mine and a clinique manager says the same thing that she wont use minerals on my face for the fact that it dosn;t look good in photos! Also that and anything with an SPF it make you white and shinny! I would ask someone at a make-up counter or google it? but i will call my friend and ask her why!

Lets not all get caught up in our wedding. Remember we should not only be planning for a our wedding but more so we should be planning for  our marriage. More so then fighting over shades of peach, tuxs, cake flavors and only god knows what else. Because the next morning it is over, guests are gone the flowers have died the cake well lets face it 1/2 of it was tossed out. Cinderella is still a maid, the limo is now a pumpkin And there is life to face ok after wild crazy monkey sex for 7 nights straight, lets not kid out selfs there are priorities After its all gone there's still bills to pay and a job to go back to

Going to the Chapel December 6th 2008

Love is a four-letter word spelled G-I-V-E

Posted: Mar 24, 2008 7:15 PM Go to message in response to: coastiebride

my guess is that the reason you should use bare minerals for photos is because it has a shine to it.  I have been told that for your wedding to stay away from glittery/shinny makeup.  The glitter/shine will look more shiny/glittery on film.  So stick to more of a matte finish with the make up.

I am using Bobbi Brown- and the woman who is doing my make-up stated that the way that she would do my make-up for the wedding would be matte.  I had gone to another make-up company (I cant remember the name but they usually arent at malls) and she put glitter on my face after she was done.  I thought I looked really shinny just walking around.  And when I asked the lady at Bobbi Brown about it- she told me to never do that for a bride.  I'm so glad I asked.

So my suggestion is just to go up to different make-up counters and talk to people about matte finished make-up.  Or just ask about bridal make-up and whoever talks about needing a matte finish wins...

hope that helps :) 

I never thought I would find you, and now that I have I dont ever want to lose you.

Forever and always

MelissaJuneBrid... Posts : 698 Registered: 3/13/07
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 9:47 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I don't know about mineral make up. I have always used Clinique. I have gotten professional pics taken twice...senior pics and engagement pics and it's the same photographer who is doing the wedding and Clinique always turns out really good in the pics. However, I used Victoria's Secret eyeshaddow...Bare Bronze Heat Mirage and when people looked at the pics they said my eyes looked really good. So...I actually prefer that eyeshaddow. But, Clinique's is good too. I always just like how it looks in pics!

MelissaSmile

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Posted: Apr 1, 2008 9:23 PM Go to message in response to: kittyfk

I have heard that the reason why they say not to use minerals is that the spf in the minerals makes your face look washed out in pictures, and if you want to wear that kind of make up, to use a shade darker than you think you need.

However, not all mineral make up has spf in it.  I'm pretty sure mine doesn't (although i use a moisturizer that does!).  It's Every Day minerals.

Personally, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my minerals for everyday make up, but for special occasions I want something with a bit more coverage for more "perfect" looking skin.  If you're going to spend money buying make up anyway, you should try everything out there and then pick what works best on you!  (FYI I ended up buying a liquid foundations from Make-Up Forever and putting BE's mineral veil over it.) 

SammiAnn Posts : 114 Registered: 3/4/08
Posted: Apr 1, 2008 9:35 PM Go to message in response to: kittyfk

Just saying that I'm glad you posted this.  I don't really wear make-up and had no idea that Bare Minerals doesn't look good in photos.  I just thought that it would be ok, because my sister uses it everyday and loves it.  I never even thought about how it might look in photos.  Definitely going to get something different now...thanks to all who replied with the info!

June 7, 2008...here I come!

Posted: Apr 16, 2008 7:28 PM Go to message in response to: kittyfk

Hey Im not sure if you have found your foundation yet. Just in case your still on the hunt. MAC Cosmetics has some really nice mineral makeup that photographs really well. The thing with bare minerals is its very drying and you can see the texture of the skin if you use something moisturizing it will look much more glowy in pictures and last a lot longer. If you have decided against mineral makeup all together MAC also has a foundation called Face and Body and its a waterproof foundation. thats what i used for my wedding and i loved it! Hope this helps you out some! good luck

Espinoza Posts : 1 Registered: 6/23/08
Posted: Nov 17, 2008 8:12 PM Go to message in response to: kittyfk

kittyfk wrote:

Hi all,

A friend of mine will be applying my make up because she is really good at it and FH and I are on a fairly tight budget. I'd rather spend on the money on high quality makup and a nice thank you for her than on professional makeup that I will wash off that night (plus I'll have her there if I need a touch up!).

Our plan was to use bare minerals because she's used it and has enough to at least try on me. But while I was booking my appointments at a salon I overheard that mineral makeup doesn't photograph well. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I guess that's one plus to having the pros do it, but the budget is just too tight. And I noticed a lot of the salons do use mineral makeup, so maybe that was just this one woman's opinion? We might experiment with a camera, but I don't know how much it will help because a photographer's camera will be such a higher quality.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hi there,

I heard this as well but went ahead and used bare minerals for my engagment photos. I did not see anything funny with my skin and did not get that white ghost affect I've heard others talk about. You can check out our engagment pictures at alexandjen.brides.com if you're interested. Our photographers used many different lenses and all natural lighting (no flash!) I am not sure whether or not this made a difference with the makeup but I was REALLY pleased and will be using the makeup for my wedding in May too.

Jennifer

1 Corinthians 13- trying to live it everyday

* Blessed*

Jen

kowgirlbride Posts : 52 Registered: 3/30/08
Posted: Nov 20, 2008 4:29 AM Go to message in response to: kittyfk

I used BE makeup for both my engagement pics and wedding. I personally love it! I did not see any extra shine or paleness in the phots, but maybe that's becuase I'm already Casper the Friendly Ghost white!! Plus, it lasted all day and night! I think it all depends on your skin type, complexion, and personal preference. I have friends who swear by Clinique and others who only wear Cover Girl. I have also tried and liked foundations from Merle Norman. Try a few out and see what you like!

Bonnie & Cory  August 2nd, 2008

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine