No dance for reception?

Online Users: 1,347 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6
No dance for reception?
Posted: Jan 14, 2008 12:11 AM

We are considering not having a dance for our reception - neither of us really like to dance.  But we are having a difficult time coming up with other ideas for our reception.  Anyone have any ideas or has anyone had/been to a wedding that didn't have a dance?  What did you think?  

ChristyEason Posts : 443 Registered: 11/6/07
Re: No dance for reception?
Posted: Jan 14, 2008 1:06 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

At my first wedding we had the recieving line, the dinner, then the cake cutting, the sip of wine, then the gift opening, then the garter/boquet toss right before we left.  We did alot of mingling.  Our wedding was nothing fancy, but it was beautiful just the same.  Oh and durring the dinner varios peple did their toasts.  we didn't set up who was going to toast us, we left that open and anyone who wanted to say something to us did.  The Best Man did start it though and let everyone know that anyone who want to say something could at that time.

We also had the same thing that we had at my shower, that everything I or he said while we were opening gifts was written down and then read after we were through.  That was really funny and everyone really enjoyed themselves.

We haven't even talked about if we are going to have dancing at our wedding or not.  I can't dance worth a frip.  I can only slow dance when he leads.  I have thought about having some slow dances for the main dances and then open the floor up to more lively music for anyone who can and wants to dance.  I am not sure right now though.

I was reading in this everything wedding book and you could have karaoke in place of dancing.  You could also have camaras on the tables for the guests to take pictures either for you or for themselves.

Just a few ideas and things that I had at my first wedding.

Christy

classysassysara Posts : 27 Registered: 4/13/06
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 9:47 PM Go to message in response to: ChristyEason

Well - I would skip anything that puts guests on the spot - such as unprepared speeches, singing, etc.  That can really throw off the flow of the event.  Even if you don't have dancing, light background music can create a festive atmosphere.  You can have a slide show or picture presentation, something really fun like a magician or caricature artist, etc.  No matter what you do, just keep your scheduling tight and your event well planned.  Leaving things mellow and unplanned can sometimes lead to boredom.

- Sara at www.classysassyweddings.com

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 10:09 PM Go to message in response to: classysassysara

To be honest, all the weddings I attended growing up were non-dancing.  They usually just involved a cake & punch reception at the church, and then the family would go back to the bride's parents' house for a potluck dinner.  Sometimes after dinner everyone would sit in a big circle in the yard and the bride & groom would open presents.

You may be planning an event a little more formal than this, but people can certainly have a good time without dancing.  Play some light background music and serve scrumptious food.  Above all, consider your guests' likes and dislikes -- if you were them, what would you enjoy?  When you think of it that way, chances are you will be a great hostess.

Best wishes!

EveT

AspenGrove Posts : 6 Registered: 3/21/08
Posted: Mar 21, 2008 9:43 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

We're also not having dancing at our reception. Neither of us likes to dance, and it is quite a bit of added expense. We are thinking of background music and a nice dinner, but I'd love any other ideas people had about how to keep people entertained. It's nice when you have regular scheduled events to keep things moving along. Any ideas would help!!!

DoubleGreen Posts : 285 Registered: 8/12/07
Posted: Mar 22, 2008 9:42 AM Go to message in response to: AspenGrove

You shouldnt have a problem if theres food and everyone in both sides of the families know each other. I've noticed from countless family get-togethers that people will gravitate towards the ones they know and talk for hours. The planned games always end up being ignored with someone on a microphone looking awkward.

KatharineC Posts : 940 Registered: 2/6/08
Posted: Mar 22, 2008 12:51 PM Go to message in response to: DoubleGreen

My cousin didn't have dancing at her wedding. At first I was like, "Um, what are we going to do all night then?" but it turned out really well. She had a string trio playing all night, from the post-ceremony drinks right till people left. We had a plated dinner and it was really all just like a great dinner party with good music in the background! They did the speeches and toasts between courses.

When is my wedding

On October 31st 2008 I marry my One True Love!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine