The taste of your top tier 1 year later?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 31

Gothicprincess Posts : 192 Registered: 3/3/07
Re: The taste of your top tier 1 year later?
Posted: Mar 8, 2008 1:38 AM Go to message in response to: DoubleGreen

My sister had hers at her 40 birthday, 4 years after they got married and it tasted just like it did on the day.  where as mine was 4 layers, bottom layer we used at the reception, tasted lovely. but for the 3 other layers they tasted like some kind of petrol even before we put them in the freezer so we wont be eating it. stupid cake lady and her putting those cakes in a used syrofoam boxes didnt even bother to say sorry. bottom layer was in a new one we had taken round there. anyways they are still in our freezer, too pretty to throw away lol

http://daisypath.com"> src="http://da.daisypath.com/Ceiyp11.png" alt="DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80">

coastiebride Posts : 1,365 Registered: 3/26/07
Posted: Mar 8, 2008 2:53 AM Go to message in response to: Gothicprincess

What i think we are going to do is either take ours on our honeymoon or only freeze a slice or two. I would hate to waste it a year later! Not to mention i dotn think it would last a year in my freezer! I would probably end up eating it anyways on a sugar spree at 1am!

Lets not all get caught up in our wedding. Remember we should not only be planning for a our wedding but more so we should be planning for  our marriage. More so then fighting over shades of peach, tuxs, cake flavors and only god knows what else. Because the next morning it is over, guests are gone the flowers have died the cake well lets face it 1/2 of it was tossed out. Cinderella is still a maid, the limo is now a pumpkin And there is life to face ok after wild crazy monkey sex for 7 nights straight, lets not kid out selfs there are priorities After its all gone there's still bills to pay and a job to go back to

Going to the Chapel December 6th 2008

Love is a four-letter word spelled G-I-V-E

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Posted: Mar 8, 2008 12:26 PM Go to message in response to: coastiebride

ok, so here's another question... what's the best way to defrost the cake before you eat it?  Just put it in the fridge for a couple days?

ZoeTigerlily Posts : 25 Registered: 2/14/08
Posted: Mar 8, 2008 5:03 PM Go to message in response to: HLYflute

To be completely honest, I'm very shocked at most of the responses!

This is definitely something that you should discuss with your baker. Most of them should offer to professionally wrap the top layer after the wedding. They know their cakes best and will know the best way to properly seal them off. Just the thought of a relative messing up my cake makes me upset. Although I do like the idea of a free top tier recreated for the anniversary. However, if you're really set on doing it yourself, at least get some proper instructions! Try these out:

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/cakeinfo/storing.cfm

http://weddingcakecreations.com/saving-the-top-tier-of-the-wedding-cake.html

TIGERLILY

SDIwifey1207 Posts : 346 Registered: 7/9/07
Posted: Mar 8, 2008 5:24 PM Go to message in response to: HLYflute

HLYflute- im gonna be honest. i cant believe how many people arent doing this tradition... its kinda sad actually...

i just took some out put it on a paper plate and ate it about an hour later. it tasted great!!!

its not that hard to freeze a peice of cake people. doesnt anyone own tupperware anymore?! seriously... i have no idea why im so annoyed by this, but i am.

<3 Andy & Megan Eichel <3

Dec 29 ,2007

((LLAMA JJAMMIES))

DoubleGreen Posts : 285 Registered: 8/12/07
Posted: Mar 9, 2008 10:53 PM Go to message in response to: SDIwifey1207

LOL @ Mrs. Eichel gettin pissed.

I'll just wrap the hell out of a slice of it and freeze it up. I'm scared that if I ask a baker for anything extra, they might toss in another fee.

Thanks for your responses ladies, especially the one where someone ate a four year old cake. That's some Fear Factor level of the tradition. I might throw an 5th year wedding anniversary party while people dare me to eat my old cake. hehe

JenlovesDon1 Posts : 217 Registered: 8/6/07
Posted: Mar 10, 2008 9:55 AM Go to message in response to: DoubleGreen

WE are tasting ours tonight! I imagine it will be really stale!

Married 1 year on 3/10/08

BreAnn Posts : 600 Registered: 11/28/07
Posted: Mar 10, 2008 10:07 AM Go to message in response to: JenlovesDon1

We aren't doing this. FH response was "my mom always taught me to throw out leftovers after 3 days, why would the cake be different?" But honestly, we weren't doing it because we don't have room to store it and it makes me gag to think about eating year old cake. LOL

Beachwed Posts : 782 Registered: 9/19/06
Posted: Mar 10, 2008 10:28 AM Go to message in response to: SDIwifey1207

I think it's all personal preference MrsEichel. I also didn't do the garter toss/bouquet toss, is that ok, does that annoy you?  People skip certain traditions, it's not a big deal, it's personal choice and that's what makes everyone different.  Nothing wrong with that.

With having a destination wedding, we did not save ours since we weren't about to fly home with a cake and then freeze it.  Plus for our one year anniversary we'll most likely travel somewhere, so we wouldn't be doing that tradition either way.  I have heard mixed reviews from other brides though, some liked theirs and some said they took a bite and it was horrible.  My husband is also one of those people who was raised on "if it's 3 days later, it's no longer good" so he wasn't about to save a cake for a year, and I really don't care either way.

Posted: Mar 11, 2008 4:57 PM Go to message in response to: Beachwed

I hope that Jen comes back with a cake story.

JenlovesDon1 Posts : 217 Registered: 8/6/07
Posted: Mar 14, 2008 9:04 AM Go to message in response to: DoubleGreen

Our cake was wrapped in saran wrap, then placed in a box, then wrapped in tin foil. I got it out and let it sit for a few hours so it could thaw. I could smell the "freezer burnt smell" on it as soon as I took it out. I thought, well, maybe it's just the frosting. Wrong, it was dry and had the freezer taste all throughout. It was nasty. My DH took one bite and had to spit it out. We are going to the baker this weekend to get a mini-cake. I suppose I could have cut it up in pieces and placed them in freezer bags right after the wedding, but I wonder if that would have even made a difference.

Married 1 year on 3/10/08

LadyBugBride Posts : 533 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: Mar 16, 2008 1:02 AM Go to message in response to: DoubleGreen

I laughed out loud when I saw this topic. Our cake tasted great, but something tells me it wasn't supposed to look like this after it defrosted:

Yes, it tasted great even looking like this.

For future reference, freezer burn comes from exposure to air. Foil prevents freezer burn; plastic wrap and bags prevent your frozen food from picking up "funky" flavors (the words of Alton Brown of Good Eats, not mine) from other things in your freezer. Put your cake in the freezer just until it gets solid. Use heavy weight foil using a piece that is big enough so that you have plenty to crimp the ends and the sides. You then want to smoosh the foil up against the side of the cake (or other item you want to freeze for the long term) to get the air out. You then need to wrap it in plastic wrap or a plastic bag.

We weren't planning to wait until our anniversary to eat it, but one thing led to another and it just took that long to get used to it. I'm glad we did, because it made a great scrapbook page.

Daisypath Ticker

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 11:52 AM Go to message in response to: LadyBugBride

Ladybug, I love that you have a picture of it! It looks just as runny as I expect thawed out cakes to look. I'm glad that it worked out for you.

I'm seriously thinking about throwing a 5th year anniversary party where we eat our old cake.

LizS Posts : 1,982 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Mar 17, 2008 3:32 PM Go to message in response to: DoubleGreen

We ate ours and served some of it at the wedding too.  I didn't want year-old freezer burnt cake.  GROSS!  I have yet to hear anyone say it tastes good a year later.  Why not eat it when it does taste good?  If you want cake for your first year, have the top layer duplicated by your baker...we did.  It will be fresh and taste a LOT better.  I don't care how much you wrap the cake, chances are it will still taste like crap after a year.  I don't eat frozen meet a year later either.  So why would this be any different? 

As for "tradition" that is what you make of it.  NO ONE in my entire family has done this and everything has been fine.  I am not a superstitious person to begin with.

Do what you want.  People are stupid if they get pissed at you for not doing something.  I went out of town to visit friends I had not seen for a year the weekend of our anniversary.  I returned home that Sunday and we went to dinner ON our actual anniversary.  It worked for us.  But then again, we can function with out one another.  LOL!

LinzZ Posts : 683 Registered: 12/13/07
Posted: Mar 24, 2008 2:14 PM Go to message in response to: LizS

We ate ours on our anniversary and it was good (We had buttercream frosting for whoever mentioned the greasy fondant). DH only had 2 bites because he wasn't craving cake, but I had a whole slice. The frosting wasn't runny, the fudge inbetween the layers was good, the cake was moist and still tasted great. Ours was wrapped in Saran Wrap and then placed in the cardboard box. That's it. Someone must have wrapped it well, I guess. Our cake was 4 teirs (including top) and only the bottom two were eaten at the wedding. MIL took the other layer home and gave DH and I each a slice on our month anniversaries for the first four months. They all tasted the same as the wedding day.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine