Major Issue Taking all Suggestions

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 4

MrsBirchJr Posts : 28 Registered: 3/4/08
Major Issue Taking all Suggestions
Posted: Mar 13, 2008 9:47 PM

I thought I had found the perfect venue to hold my reception.  On the swear of my MOH, I thought this was going to be were I was going to have my reception.  So I checked out their website checked out the prices etc and called to make an appointment.  Boy was I wrong.  I am inviting 100 people to my wedding and the level in which the venue host 100 was small and I felt as if I was closed in.  So I was showed the next level which held 125 people.  Well I know an extra 25 was not showing up so I asked if I could have the reception on the 2nd rather than the first and I explained why.  Well here is where my issues came in.  1.  I was told by the consultant that I would have to add 25 more people to my guest list in order to hold it on the second level.  2. The centerpieces that they prove are silk flowers that I did not like and said that I would gladly bring my own that was real flowers.  I was told that I still will be charged for their centerpieces wither I used them or not. 3. The menu consists of a lot of shellfish and my FH is allergic.  So I asked that the entire menu be changed and not substituted.  I was told that they would make substitutes but that is all.  And finally what is posted on their website as for as pricing was a lie.  They were trying to charge me double for not that much of things they were supplying.  So with all this said, I have looked at a lot of venues and have found that the pricing is just madly ridiculous.  So with only 4 months left, I do not know what to do any good ideas?

OrthoRN Posts : 323 Registered: 11/24/07
Re: Major Issue Taking all Suggestions
Posted: Mar 13, 2008 10:57 PM Go to message in response to: MrsBirchJr

Try your local parks, museums, or historic homes/mansions. We even have an indoor aquatic center that hosts many receptions. Check with local caterers for ideas.

PTGirl09 Posts : 141 Registered: 9/4/06
Posted: Mar 13, 2008 11:06 PM Go to message in response to: OrthoRN

I don't know what venue you picked out, but I would check hotels in your area.  Larger hotels usually have a variety of rooms for receptions and many have in-house catering.  A friend of mine had her reception at a Marriott and it was beautiful.

SocalGal Posts : 456 Registered: 6/3/06
Posted: Mar 13, 2008 11:31 PM Go to message in response to: MrsBirchJr

I agree with Ortho...check non-tradtional places.  Also, ask any other vendors that you already have if they any suggestions.  Or, you could think about tweaking your plans slightly.  Generally speaking, having a daytime reception as opposed to an evening one will cost you a lot less.  Or, serve just appetizers and dessert...think cocktail party instead of a full dinner.  Or, if you liked the site, just not their practices, call them back with a different name and say you're looking for a place to host a party (not a wedding) and see if they tell you the same things.  Play it like a party-planner, as opposed to a bride...you might be surprised how differently people will treat you.

It'll happen...eventually..........

Posted: Mar 14, 2008 1:25 PM Go to message in response to: MrsBirchJr

Our venue is at local golf course club house. Well kinda.... its a bulilding attached to the club house and we provide all our own food and drink and decorations and all that. We got ours for 240 (including deposit) and we got it from Noon til 10pm. I went through our local parks and rec. dept. You might want to give them a call or even go online and see what the have on their site.
wedding count down  

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine