tatoos on bridesmaids

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 194

wackywed1011 Posts : 17 Registered: 7/2/07
tatoos on bridesmaids
Posted: Mar 8, 2008 3:36 PM

My sister is in my bridal party and the dresses are just below the knee. The problem is she has 11 visible tatoos. I don't mind them but I dont want to see them in my wedding photos. Is there something she can use to cover them for the pictures or even the whole night?

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Re: tatoos on bridesmaids
Posted: Mar 8, 2008 3:46 PM Go to message in response to: wackywed1011

Yes, there is.  I had to use this special opaque makeup for my wedding because I had a horrible red rash.  Dermatologist recommended and they both work, they are made to cover things like tattoos:  ColorTration and DermaBlend.  If you Google each product name, you'll get their websites.  DermaBlend has a store locator so you can see if a store near you carries it.  ColorTration is only available by mail, as far as I know.  They are both cream makeups with setting powder.  They come in a wide range of shades; ColorTration gives you a range of shades so you can custom blend.

Good luck!

EveT

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Mar 8, 2008 4:31 PM Go to message in response to: wackywed1011

Dear WW,

If you don't mind seeing the tatoos in real life, why would you mind seeing them in the photos?

They are part of her, now, permanently.

futuremrsperry Posts : 1,904 Registered: 4/23/06
Posted: Mar 8, 2008 6:52 PM Go to message in response to: wackywed1011

They make cover up makeup.  I would have her use that to cover up the tattoos.

ZoeTigerlily Posts : 25 Registered: 2/14/08
Posted: Mar 8, 2008 7:19 PM Go to message in response to: futuremrsperry

I agree with Auntof.

She's your sister! Unless the tattoos show something vulgar or offensive, I wouldn't ask her to do anything to change what she looks like. It's on the same page with brides that micromanage their bridesmaid's weight. If you must, ask the photographer to photoshop them out, but don't ask her to cover them up for the whole wedding.

TIGERLILY

SDIwifey1207 Posts : 346 Registered: 7/9/07
Posted: Mar 8, 2008 7:22 PM Go to message in response to: ZoeTigerlily

I'm in agreement with everyone else. I have tattoos and if a bride asked me to cover them up for the whole wedding, id be pretty pissed. You wouldnt ask her to cover up a birthmark would you? So why would you ask her to cover up a tattoo. Just have them photoshopped out if its really that necessary. I think you are being a little rude here...

<3 Andy & Megan Eichel <3

Dec 29 ,2007

((LLAMA JJAMMIES))

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Mar 8, 2008 7:22 PM Go to message in response to: ZoeTigerlily

Whenever I see posts like this, I feel for the original poster, because I truly do not like the look of tattoos.  However, like the others said, it's a permanent part of her and maybe you shouldn't ask her to change it.

However, what no one ever mentions is is that some churches have a problem with tattoos being visible, and you never know if that is the situation at hand. 

But really, what is better?  If you are really anti-tattoo, should you a) not ask someone to be the bridal party because of them, or b) ask them to be in the bridal party but request that they cover them?

I would point out, though, that if you ask her to cover them, I think you should be the one to pay for the make up coverup.

Posted: Mar 8, 2008 7:28 PM Go to message in response to: ZoeTigerlily

Dear Zoe,

I'll make something clear: I, personally, dislike tattoos and think they are unattractive. I saw a guy in the grocery store, today, with a particularly hideous tattoo and could not even bear to look at him.

The company I work for does not permit visible tattoos on the job, not even covered by band-aids nor makeup. It's a company policy, one with which I am in personal agreement.

However, if one gets a tattoo and that tattoo is visible when the person is wearing ordinary clothing, then that person has to be prepared for the tattoo to be visible. It will be visible in wedding photographs, on a job interview and on a first date.

So be it.

Posted: Mar 8, 2008 7:28 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

BirdLover- I can def. see your point. But honestly, I would rather not be a bridesmaid then be one and have to cover them up... Theres no way that I would set foot in a church that didnt accept me for who I am. Thats ridiculous. I'm a Christian and not allowing someone in my church because of a tattoo is NOT christian-like behavior..

Dec 29 ,2007

((LLAMA JJAMMIES))

CBM09 Posts : 121 Registered: 3/7/08
Posted: Mar 8, 2008 7:40 PM Go to message in response to: wackywed1011

Hi there wackywed! I totally understand where you're coming from. It's your wedding day and you don't want everyone who looks at your wedding photos to be taken away from how beautiful you look by your sister's 11 tattoos! If you don't think asking her to cover them up is possible then maybe you should do long dresses. But I don't think there is anything wrong with not wanting them shown in your pictures, its your day, do what makes you happy!:)

Posted: Mar 8, 2008 7:48 PM Go to message in response to: CBM09

CBM- unless you don't have tattoos, im sure you dont realize how rude this can come off. sure, maybe her sister will be totally fine with this and say "no problem!" but others, like me, think this is really rude. yes, this is her wedding day, but hurting someone else's feelings should still matter. maybe im just more laid back than a lot of people, but i let my bridesmaids do whatever they wanted with their hair, wear whatever shoes they wanted and let their tattoos hang out. everyone was there for ME and my DH. i think people need to realize that a wedding isnt for everyone to say "OMG THE BRIDE IS GORGEOUS I LOVE HER" and that its about LOVE. and why should tattoos matter? the only thing i cared about on my wedding day was being a wife to my amazing husband. not making sure everyone and everything was absolutely perfect.

Dec 29 ,2007

((LLAMA JJAMMIES))

Message was edited by: MrsEichel1207

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Mar 8, 2008 7:51 PM Go to message in response to: CBM09

Aunt: then what happens in a situation like this?

I do not like tattoos.  I asked 5 girls to be in my bridal party.  None of them had visible tattoos.  By the time the wedding rolled around, one of them had gotten a big tattoo on her ankle.

So...what then?  I asked five girls knowing that they did not have tattoos (okay, this had nothing to do with me choosing them, but let's pretend it did).  Then they got a tattoo.  What if I was 100% against them?  Would, in that case, it be reasonable for me to ask the girl to cover them up?

(I did not, personally, care all that much.  The tattoo was tasteful, and I did not even mention anything to her).

I also think that when you permanently alter your body in any way, you shouldn't really get up in arms about people not liking it.  When I got my belly button pierced, I accept the fact that some people might not like it.  I have also accepted the fact that my workplaces will not allow me to wear extra earrings in the extra holes I have in my ears.  So why are tattoos different?

I also find it offensive to compare tattoos to birth marks, because one is chosen and the other is not.

Charlotte09 Posts : 1,021 Registered: 2/22/08
Posted: Mar 8, 2008 10:05 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

I do not dislike tattoos but they are not formal at all and look bad with a lot of bridesmaid dresses, so I do  not see the problem with covering them up. Just make sure you do not approach the issue in a hurtful way. 

Any yes they have tattoo cover up kits. I know they have them at David's Bridal, not sure where else they carry them.  

RDWM Posts : 1,354 Registered: 9/27/06
Posted: Mar 8, 2008 10:37 PM Go to message in response to: Charlotte09

I do not like tattoos either. I rarely ever see anyone who has one. My daughter has a small one that no one will see it unless she is intimate with them. She knows that her elders would lose it if they saw her with one and that is a very big deal, she would risk shaming her grandfather. She also knows that having visible tattoos would prevent her from having the career she so badly wants. My son has pierced ears and he takes the earrings out when he will be at tribal events and just told me that he would have no problem removing them for a wedding since not all brides, or grandmas, think guys should have both ears pierced.

I am very aware that I am conservative on this issue. I just think when someone gets a tattoo they must know that there are situations where tattoos aren't alright. AOTB stated perfectly how many people feel about this issue.  

Danille

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river has been poisoned
and that last fish has been caught
will we realize that we can't eat money.
- Cree Proverb

Posted: Mar 8, 2008 10:47 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

Dear BL,

"So...what then?  I asked five girls knowing that they did not have tattoos (okay, this had nothing to do with me choosing them, but let's pretend it did).  Then they got a tattoo. "

Since you asked... I would de-invite the girl to be a bridesmaid.

You asked her believing that at the time of the wedding she would not have a visible tattoo. Now she has one. This could have waited until after the wedding, or she could have asked your opinion before getting the tattoo.

I see tattoos as completely different from a lady getting pregnant between now and W-day or having a birthmark. Pregnancy is a good thing; society accepts pregnancy. Everyone at that wedding is the result of some lady, somewhere, getting pregnant.

Birthmarks are also just a part of life. I have a large one, and it was not covered up one bit for my own wedding. It certainly was not my choice to have one, but it's there and I deal with it.

Anyone asking me to be a bridesmaid for her wedding would already know I have a birthmark. It would not be a last-minute surprise.

The tattoo is a totally different story. It's there by choice, it's not universally accepted by society and in my own humble opinion, it's DOWNRIGHT UGLY.

At my job, if you show up with a visible tattoo, you get fired. It's made clear to people when they start work. If you show up for the interview with a visible tattoo, the interview is cancelled, and you are told why. We offer very competitive salaries and benefits, so there are usually plenty of highly qualified people for any job opening.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine