Allergic to Engagement Ring!

Online Users: 1,360 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 9

LKM2361 Posts : 20 Registered: 3/12/07
Allergic to Engagement Ring!
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 11:12 AM

HELP!  It appears that I might be allergic to my engagement ring.  My ring is 14ct white gold with a 1 ct princess cut center stone with princess cut diamonds channeled down each side of my band.  I absolutely love my ring, but every time I wear it on my ring finger, I can make it about a day, and then my finger breaks out in little, itchy red bumps and it takes about a week for the funk to go away before I can put it back on my ring finger again.  Then I can wear it for another day or two and the funk just keeps coming back.  Any suggestions?  This is truly becoming frustrating!

Reply


PALMETTOMOON Posts : 532 Registered: 4/25/07
Re: Allergic to Engagement Ring!
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 11:16 AM Go to message in response to: LKM2361

Definitely sounds like you're allergic...I'd take it to your jeweler and ask for suggestions.  Maybe they can dip it in another metal that you aren't allergic to.

www.mywedding.com/lizandkevin

 

Reply


Ashleyl525 Posts : 1,590 Registered: 12/27/06
Re: Allergic to Engagement Ring!
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 11:18 AM Go to message in response to: LKM2361

go to a dermatologist it may not be the ring itself...also talk to your jeweler...they may be able to switch your ring out to a titanium or platinum setting rather than the white gold...also you may want ot try a different gold like instead of 14K white gold look into 12k or 10k...

Much love and Support!!

Ashley

Once An Ugly Ducking Soon A Beautiful Swann

 

 

Way to go Curvatious Cuties!!! BL4 Here We Come!!!!!!!! 

 

Reply

LKM2361 Posts : 20 Registered: 3/12/07
Re: Allergic to Engagement Ring!
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 11:23 AM Go to message in response to: PALMETTOMOON

Good idea.  Other than resetting in sterling silver or platinum, I am at a loss.  Love to go the platinum route, but of course, would never be able to swing that at this time.  I'm a silver girl and have no problems wearing it.  Haven't really ever worn gold, so never knew this could be an issue.

Reply


FALLbrideINLOVE Posts : 1,056 Registered: 3/30/07
Re: Allergic to Engagement Ring!
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 11:30 AM Go to message in response to: LKM2361

another thing, they dip white gold in rhodium to make the gold look silvery.  maybe if your ring has not been dipped and you have it done it would help? just a suggestionSmile

Reply


PrincessAurora Posts : 89 Registered: 11/16/07
Re: Allergic to Engagement Ring!
Posted: Dec 7, 2007 8:43 PM Go to message in response to: LKM2361

pay attention also to what you put on your hands before you put on your ring, like lotions and things...

sometimes dish soaps or lotions can get trapped under the ring and the result may be an allergic reaction :)

So close to reaching that famous happy end...

Reply

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Re: Allergic to Engagement Ring!
Posted: Dec 7, 2007 10:27 PM Go to message in response to: PrincessAurora

I really would get a dermatologist to look at the rash (and the ring) before spending any money modifying the ring.  You want to get to the bottom of what's happening and why.
EveT

Reply

Lauren015 Posts : 2 Registered: 2/28/08
Re: Allergic to Engagement Ring!
Posted: Feb 28, 2008 1:27 AM Go to message in response to: LKM2361

It sounds like you maybe allergic to your engagement ring, you have the same symptoms that I did. I know it sounds like the end of the world, but it really isn't. If you are allergic have your fiance go back to the jewerler and see if he can exchange your ring. My fiances jeweler did and he got a ring in platnium. It was smaller than the original, but we could afford it and it was nice not having the red/scarring anymore.

If your dermatologist does say that you are allergic, take a deep breath, cry if it makes you feel better (I did) but also remember that the ring is just a possession. Not having your ring doesn't mean that your not engaged, or that God is cursing you or any of that other crap. After all is said and done, you may even joke about it, and it will bring you and your fiance closer. Rememer its better you found out now, instead of after the wedding.

Good Luck with the ring and I hope that your not allergic, if you ever need to talk to someone whose gone through being allergic to their engagement ring let me know.

 ~Lauren

Reply

Maggie08 Posts : 3 Registered: 6/13/07
Re: Allergic to Engagement Ring!
Posted: Mar 3, 2008 9:44 AM Go to message in response to: LKM2361

Hi!  I'm a jeweler and I can tell you it's fairly common for some people to experience an allergic reation to gold.  I saw on here that someone suggested changing the setting to rhodium, sterling,titanium or platinum.  I want to give you my input on all these metals.

Sterling silver will tarnish and it will also not hold your stones in as strongly as other metals, avoid it, it's just too soft.

Rhodium will make your metal white but it also wears over time so eventually your ring will need to be replated again and again, and I'm not sure that this will eliminate the reaction.

 Titanium is VERY hard to work with. Most places do not offer it in ladies bands and I would caution anyone from using it as it cannot be sized or cut. If you break your finger they literally have to crack the ring off of you.  It also cannot be engraved.

Platinum, though expensive is your best bet.  It's 95%-99% pure as compared to your gold which is 75% pure. I have never heard of a person being allergic to platinum either.  That's my vote, have your ring reset and enjoy!

Reply

DCTexan Posts : 170 Registered: 10/24/07
Re: Allergic to Engagement Ring!
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 12:55 PM Go to message in response to: Maggie08

I totally sympathize with you.  I am also allergic to gold and other metals.  Usually I get the red, itchy bumps that you get, and if the metal has any nickel in it at all, then my finger turns green too.  Just a really lovely mental image, right?

Anyway, my FH knew about my allergies so he got me a platinum ring.  I am happy to say that I have had absolutely no allergic reactions to my ring!  Yay!

One thing you can try to see if it helps temporarily is painting your ring in clear nail polish.  Obviously, this is not a long-term solution, but if you do it and your rash disappears, then you will know that it is the metal you are allergic to.

Reply
RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine