I think I might cry ....

Online Users: 1,296 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 13

Breezer80 Posts : 94 Registered: 4/14/06
I think I might cry ....
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 9:24 AM

I am developing a itchy red raised rash underneath my engagement ring. I beginning to think I might be allergic to it!!!! I wear gold all the time, in my ears, on other rings, on my neck, on my wrist, and I don't understand! But it's really really bad, and I am afraid to go to a derm - if he tells me I can't wear it anymore, I think I might have a breakdown. I love my ring in ways I can't even put into words. It symbol of our love and commitment to one another, but more than that, it just shows that he knows me so incredibly well that he would pick out the most perfect beautiful ring I've ever seen. I am privileged to wear it ... I can't bear the thought of being told I can't wear it anymore!!!!!

Laughing Countdown! I marry my favorite little ladybug in less than a year!!! Wink

Daisypath Ticker

PTGirl09 Posts : 141 Registered: 9/4/06
Re: I think I might cry ....
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 9:38 AM Go to message in response to: Breezer80

Don't freak out yet.  It could be the metal or it could be something else.  I would definately go to the doctor to find out whats going on.  Is the ring really tight on your finger?  I could be a dermatitis from the ring rubbing or something.  If you are having a reaction to the metal, ask your doctor if you could maybe wear the ring during the day and take it off at night to give your skin a break.  Don't start worrying about changing your ring until you find out what's up.

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 9:54 AM Go to message in response to: PTGirl09

It's actually relatively loose. It was tighter during the summer, but I think when the weather gets colder your fingers get a little slimmer so I've been thinking it feels looser than usual. I know you're right, I just don't know what I'd do if I was told I was allergic. On top of everything else, I know he spent quite a bit of money on the ring, and if we had to upgrade to platinum or whatever wouldn't irritate my finger, I feel fairly certain we couldn't afford it. Cry

Laughing Countdown! I marry my favorite little ladybug in less than a year!!! Wink

Daisypath Ticker

SuezyQ Posts : 947 Registered: 8/4/06
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 12:51 PM Go to message in response to: Breezer80

Do you take it off when you wash your hands or use cleaning products?  If not maybe your not getting your hands dry enough under the ring, and that's whats causing the rash.

Just a thought.  I would get it looked at though.  Or try taking it off at night like the OP said and see if that helps at all.

Good luck!!

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 1:27 PM Go to message in response to: SuezyQ

Don't panic.  You seem to be "awfulizing" -- something I know I am very good at! 

Please get medical attention for the rash.  No ring is worth endangering your health, and even though it may seem like a minor localized thing, some rashes are really hard to get rid of once they take root.  It may not be the metal that's causing it.  I'm no expert, but my guess is you will not be told you can't wear the ring.

EveT

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 1:48 PM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

OK deep breath I'll make an appt with the derm. I hope you're right Eve!!!!

And thanks all for the kind words  Laughing

Daisypath Ticker

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 1:50 PM Go to message in response to: Breezer80

My father and sister are both allergic to metal, so I know a lot about it.  The most common allergy to metal is nickel, which can sometimes be blended in other metals, but is not used typically in fine jewelry.  Most of the things my sister breaks out with are cheaper things, stuff you buy at Target or Claire's.  If you can wear all sorts of other metals, it's unlikely you have an allergy.  What's more likely is that a chemical or something else is irritating it.  Definitely go to a doctor though.  Perhaps you have a skin condition like eczema (my dad and sis have that too), which can be treated with a topical cream.

Pamlin Posts : 958 Registered: 10/26/06
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 1:56 PM Go to message in response to: Breezer80

1.  Totally get it checked out -it could be any number of things.

2.  Try putting a little clear nailpolish on the inside of the ring (just on the metal that touches your skin)  and see if that helps.  I used to do that with a favorite copper bracelet of mine, that would turn my wrist green and rashy without it.  You do have to reapply it upon occasion, but it worked really well.

Pamlin

The wedding will be lovely, but it's the next day and every day after that makes me truly excited.

deltagirl Posts : 516 Registered: 12/30/06
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 2:30 PM Go to message in response to: Breezer80

If you can't get into the derm right away you can try putting an ointment called clotrimazole on the area. It's an over the counter antifungal you can purchase at a drugstore. You may also think about not wearing your ring for a day or two. You also could have acquired contact dermatitis. If so you may need a hydrocortisone cream(also over-the-counter). The hydrocortisone cream will help with any itching you may have.

Good Luck!

www.brides.com/weddingwebsite/trinaandron2008

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 2:36 PM Go to message in response to: deltagirl

I'll try those, thanks. I think taking it off at night at least and putting some cream on it might help too. I'll call the derm and make an appointment. It's just so strange, I've never had an allergy to anything before!

Daisypath Ticker

Jerseygal8785 Posts : 144 Registered: 12/5/06
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 2:57 PM Go to message in response to: Breezer80

Good luck at the dr.  He will not say don't wear it, but he will make suggestions to help it and maybe it is something worse. If you wear jewelry then it is not an allergy!  Good Luck! 

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 10:52 PM Go to message in response to: Breezer80

even if it is an allergy, you could have it dipped. a friend of mine was allergic to her engagement ring. it was white gold. when she had it dipped in rhodium, it was all better. ask your dermatologist if he/she thinks that will help. good luck.

Lauren015 Posts : 2 Registered: 2/28/08
Posted: Feb 28, 2008 1:25 AM Go to message in response to: Breezer80

It sounds like you maybe allergic to your engagement ring, you have the same symptoms that I did. I know it sounds like the end of the world, but it really isn't. If you are allergic have your fiance go back to the jewerler and see if he can exchange your ring. My fiances jeweler did and he got a ring in platnium. It was smaller than the original, but we could afford it and it was nice not having the red/scarring anymore.

If your dermatologist does say that you are allergic, take a deep breath, cry if it makes you feel better (I did) but also remember that the ring is just a possession. Not having your ring doesn't mean that your not engaged, or that God is cursing you or any of that other crap. After all is said and done, you may even joke about it, and it will bring you and your fiance closer. Rememer its better you found out now, instead of after the wedding.

Good Luck with the ring and I hope that your not allergic, if you ever need to talk to someone whose gone through being allergic to their engagement ring let me know.

~Lauren

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Dec 5, 2012 8:10 AM Go to message in response to: Breezer80

Wedding dresses from famous wedding designers are promoting now.
http://www.okaydress.com/wedding-dress-designers-c-65.html
Mori Lee Wedding Dress Style 1916 is just $379.99.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine