trial costs money??

Online Users: 1,250 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

triplej Posts : 92 Registered: 9/3/07
trial costs money??
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 2:36 PM

So I confirmed my appointment for my hair and makeup today and asked about trials for them. I guess I assumed that the trial is included in the fee but I have to pay the same amount for the trial as I do for the actual wedding day hair. Is that normal? I guess I didn't think I would have to pay twice, but I have never done trials with hair or makeup before. Now I am thinking of not doing a trial because of all the extra money. Is this the same everywhere? Would you recommend doing trials?

Jamie : )

July 12, 2008 is the day I marry my everything!

MrsMaldonado Posts : 2,852 Registered: 3/7/07
Re: trial costs money??
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 2:43 PM Go to message in response to: triplej

Yup, trials cost money...that's absolutely normal. I woud definitely go for it because you don't want any suprises on your wedding day!

Emy & Bryan

mywedding.com/BryanAndMariaEmanuelasWedding

llama jjammies

MelissaJuneBrid... Posts : 698 Registered: 3/13/07
Posted: Feb 10, 2008 10:35 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMaldonado

While it is unfortunate to your wallet...trials cost money. Although mine isn't as much as the actual wedding day hair. But, even if it were, I'd say it was worth it. I don't want a style I hate on my wedding day!

MelissaSmile

PTGirl09 Posts : 141 Registered: 9/4/06
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 5:05 PM Go to message in response to: MelissaJuneBrid...

If it is a real "trial" it shouldn't cost anything.  I had both experiances.  I went to my regular stylist for a trial and she kind of threw it together to try to get an idea of what I wanted.  Unfortunately, I didn't like it and ended up going to someone else.  The next time she did the "trial" like it was my wedding day and charged me the same price.  I of course loved it, and had her do my hair again for my portraits and the wedding (paid for all three!!).  It varies by stylist.

MissyF Posts : 275 Registered: 9/23/07
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 6:57 PM Go to message in response to: triplej

I was bummed by this, too, but you definitely don't want to go into your wedding day having not had a trial - no matter how much you trust your stylist, it's just a bad idea. My trial cost almost as much as the wedding-day hair, so I don't think it's unusual for it to be the same cost. It is the same amount of effort on their part, after all, possibly more if you don't like the first attempt and need it done again.

Anyway, I do think that this is an extra cost that sort of sneaks up on a lot of brides, and should really be factored into all those lovely budget tools they offer us. 

Woman to my man. Slave to my budget.

Posted: Feb 18, 2008 2:35 PM Go to message in response to: MissyF

Pay for the trial - I was going to skip a trial, I figured french twist couldn't be that hard...

So I had my trial this past Sat.  took us from 1-2:30 to get something I liked.  Left the salon and by 5:30 the dang updo was down from the top of my head sitting on the back of my neck.. icky. And I could not stand the scent of the products used.  I called the salon this AM and they have resecheuled a trial at no charge w/someone else.

Brookitacita Posts : 59 Registered: 12/4/06
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 7:14 PM Go to message in response to: triplej

It does depend on where you go. I just had my first trial with a stylist today. My mom used to get her hair done at this place with a different stylist named Kathy that recommended another girl named Theresa as being amazing at updos.  She also told my mom the trial would be free. Well, I like my hair (mostly) but I did not like Theresa at all, personality-wise. I am not going to book her for my wedding. She seemed to know how to do updos, but she doesn't specialize in bridal hair it seems, since she was confused on how to attach my veil and tiara. That pretty much ruined all my confidence in her right away, when she's asking me how to do it when I'm having a professional do it so I don't have to worry about those things. How should I know? I've never worn a veil before! At the end of the trial she charged me $35, which is reasonable considering she spent two hours on my hair, but I was surprised since Kathy had told my mother it would be free. But I just paid it and got out of there (with an eight dollar tip). Since I knew I wasn't going to book her for the wedding, I did feel like I should give her something for her trouble. So I would recommend being really confident in your stylist before you pay for a trial. I wouldn't have paid for this woman if I had known - she didn't have a portfolio and I had never met her before. But a trial is REALLY important. I learned a lot at mine today. Overall I like the look, but there's a couple of tweaks I know I need to make to make the look work for me. I'm going to look for someone else and will most likely pay for another trial, but I want to see a portfolio and meet them before I schedule anything!

Hope this helps.

~Brooke

Kimberly212 Posts : 972 Registered: 9/12/12
Posted: Sep 17, 2012 5:58 PM Go to message in response to: triplej

A-Line Scoop NEckline Off-Shoulder Straps with Ruffles Floor Length Zipper Chiffon prom Dress
Save up to 42% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $188.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/aline-scoop-neckline-offshoulder-straps-with-ruffles-floor-length-zipper-chiffon-prom-dress-p-32016.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine