Ballgown vs. Mermaid

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 42

MyFairytaleWedd... Posts : 102 Registered: 8/9/07
Re: Ballgown vs. Mermaid
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 3:50 AM Go to message in response to: MelissaJuneBrid...

Melissa, you're totally right on that one!!! that is a pretty versitile updo... I can think of lots of different ways to personalize it and make it work for WHATEVER event you're going too!!! (my kinda' hairstyle!!! lol!!!)

And thanx lilies34 for your input... the more I hear it (that advice) the more I'm sure that this is THE gown for me!!! my perfect little fairytale princess dream gown!!! lol!!! thanx again everyone!!! 

April, 2008 -- My Fairytale Wedding!!!!!

MrsMaldonado Posts : 2,852 Registered: 3/7/07
Posted: Jan 17, 2008 10:31 AM Go to message in response to: MyFairytaleWedd...

Those dresses are all so gorgeous!!!

~Emy~
  Bryan & Emy October 4, 2008

Click Here for our wedding website
Are YOU an October 2008 Bride? JOIN US NOW!
http://groups.msn.com/october2008brides

mmohr Posts : 45 Registered: 1/2/08
Posted: Jan 20, 2008 10:02 PM Go to message in response to: MyFairytaleWedd...

So I am right there with you on this confusion, although it seems you have it figured out now. Unfortunately for me, I still don't. I'm getting married in a castle and the style is gothic revival with candelbras and eggplant and deep red color scheme. My brain is about to explode because:

1) my fiance is very opinionated about his idea of my dress. he's been making comments that he thinks a bride should be modest and innocent looking, not sexy. He also told me he likes sleeves!?

2) His family is VERY conservative. His mom looked at a bridal magazine with me and almost passed out.

3) I feel like the look of the wedding would expect something extravagant. I worry that the mermaid dress I fell in love with will not be "enough"

I have it narrowed down to 5 gowns (I'll try to post pictures here in a second)

A stretch lace, high necked mermaid by Pronovias

An italian organza ballgown with off the shoulder lace 3.4 sleeves by Demetrios

A basque waist satin ball gown with high back and trumpet sleeves by Reem Acra

A cap sleeve with beading detail with ball gown skirt by Stephen Yearick

and FINALLY!!

A Victoria throwback with bustled taffeta and lace skirt with separate lace corset and assymetrical one sleeve jacket by Cymbeline

Phew...you can see why I have nightmares.

I hope that your fairytale wedding comes together perfectly. I just thought I'd share my issues. lol. Oh also, I have to say as a former beauty pageant contestant and former bridal salon associate: DO NOT WEAR GLOVES! Unless you have supermodel thin arms. They tend to make the arm look heavier and tubular.

Posted: Jan 21, 2008 12:23 PM Go to message in response to: mmohr

Mmohr, Wow!!! you've got a list of gowns!!! lol!!! but I'm sure you'll figure it out soon (Hey!!! it took my a year to get it straightened out!!!)  

So you're fiance wants you to wear sleeves??? (and nothing too sexy) like long sleeves??? or will short sleeves (like cap sleeves) work??? Has he  (or his mom) seen any of the dresses you're deciding on???  Cuz' it wouldn't be too great if he or anyone in his family passes out when they see you walking down the isle... (although if he passes out cuz' he's stunned by how GORGEOUS you look... well that's A O.K. cuz' that's the idea actually!!! lol!!!) Please post pics of your gown(s)... I wanna' see!!! lol!!! (I LOVE looking at gowns!!! lol!!!)

Wow!!! a castle huh??? I'm completely jealous!!! lol!!! That was my first choice for my ceremony but sadly we don't have any gorgeous castles here in Colorado Cry but by luck I found a GORGEOUS mansion to have my little lavish reception at (hopefully it'll make up for the castle!!! lol!!!) take care!!! 

P.S.: Thanx for the advice about the gloves!!! my arms are really thin (I personally think they're kinda' fat... lol!!! one of my neverending problems with myself!!! lol!!!) but I already decided against the gloves... lol!!! I may wear them for the ceremony tho... I'm not sure but they're lace sheer gloves (just to add to my already girly girliness!!!!) not those plain cover-everything gloves... lol!!! thanx again!!!

LinzZ Posts : 683 Registered: 12/13/07
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 2:01 PM Go to message in response to: MyFairytaleWedd...

I wore an all lace gown. It was more of a sheath but the lace added a lot of detail. I wanted to wear a mantilla veil as well, but I thought that would be lace overkill. Instead I went with a cathedral veil and my grandmother took parts of the left over lace from my gown (my aunt made my dress) and sewed them onto the bottom of the veil. I loved some of the beautiful pictures I got with my veil on.

This one I love because the veil is just cloaking me.

veil

This one I love because the veil is so dramatic.

grand exit

And this shows a little of the detail at the end

veil

I'm not exactly sure what dress you're going with because I followed the link you provided and I didn't find a Tuscanan Royale. I found a Tuscanan Vidal on that link but it wasn't a mermaid, more of an a-line. So I'm confused. But I can tell you that I loved the cathedral length of my veil. I did not like the was it was attached to my hair. It looked really poofy and It bothered me. I wanted it to lay flat and be a really thin layer like a mantilla would be, but it was last minute and I delt with it. I took it off right after the pictures in the church. And, even though it wasn't perfect, I don't look back at it as something I regret. So I don't think you will feel that way either about any choice you make.

mmohr Posts : 45 Registered: 1/2/08
Posted: Jan 23, 2008 6:36 PM Go to message in response to: MyFairytaleWedd...

http://www.brides.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=52027

thats the link to another thread where I posted all my gown pictures. I do indeed have a big choice ahead of me.

My fiance doesnt mind what type of sleeves that I have, he's just made a point that he doesn't like strapless. I think he's speaking more from his family and what they would think than his actual tastes.

Sheer lace gloves would be pretty!

Oh and about the castle! I was so glad that my fiance mentioned a family friend who used to own a castle then it became a government owned museum and place to hold your wedding. I immediately knew it was perfect. But a mansion wouldve been my US choice for sure! good luck!

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 3:51 AM Go to message in response to: LinzZ

LinzZ, yeah the link doesn't seen to work (it did before) here's another one tho... (http://www.catanfashions.com/product/item-bbf2427c-bf2c-4410-94ac-9d2765503eb3.aspx) I, like you, am also going for the whole sheer 'flat' veil look (lol!!!)  I'm really not a fan of lots of tulle on my head...

Thanx so much for sharing your pics!!! I especially love the second pic by the way, it's really close to the effect that I'm hoping to achieve with my own veil!!! thanx again!!!

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 4:10 AM Go to message in response to: mmohr

mmohr, thanx for the link, I don't think it'll be too hard finding a gown that isn't strapless (I myself an going to wear an infusions of the Pronovias 'Selena' and 'Estonia' for my 2nd reception... and what I mean my infusion is that it'll be the 'Selena' gown but with an 'Estonia' neckline... lol!!!) Wow!!! you really have quite a selection/decision to make!!! (lol!!!) but I'm totally sure that you'll find the gown that's absolutley PERFECT for you (I was totally the same way... I bounced from dress to dress for soooo long) I wish you all the luck on finding your perfect gown and on your upcoming wedding!!! (oh and don't forget to let us know which gown you decided on!!!)

Sarina7280 Posts : 6 Registered: 2/2/08
Posted: Feb 7, 2008 8:42 PM Go to message in response to: MyFairytaleWedd...

It all depends on your bodytype...if you're tall and curvy, u can rock either one....but if u want to give a little umph, go with the mermaid!  Here's mine: 

Posted: Feb 11, 2008 5:40 PM Go to message in response to: Sarina7280

Sarina7280, well I'm not really tall...only about 5ft 3in.... lol!!! and I'm usually a size zero... so I really didn't wanna' 'get lost' in a big puffy gown... lol!!! Yeah I'm loving the whole mermaid thing more and more everyday!!! yay!!!! thanx for reading!!!

Posted: Feb 13, 2008 1:22 PM Go to message in response to: MyFairytaleWedd...

"And here's the link to a forum with some pics (no models!!!) of the pronovias Nerveo: http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=73518"

Hey, that's me!! Innocent

Message was edited by: musey

Posted: Mar 5, 2008 11:42 AM Go to message in response to: MyFairytaleWedd...

I choose a simple mermaid/trumpet gown.  Partly because I didn't want to feel like I was swimming in material, and partly because the mermaid style shows off your figure more.  Personal preference.

YoungNInLove21 Posts : 85 Registered: 1/24/08
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 4:27 PM Go to message in response to: MyFairytaleWedd...

U DID THE EXACT SAME THING AS ME!! ONLY I HAVEN'T GOTTEN MY GOWN YET, SO I STILL HAVE THE OPTION OF EITHER OR. MY WEDDING IN JULY, SO I THOUGH A MERMAID GOWN WOULD BE GREAT FOR A SUMMERTIME WEDDING, BUT I CAN'T FIND ONE THAT ISN'T SUPER EXPENSIVE!! SO UNTIL I TRY ON SOME DRESSES I GUESS MY OPTIONS ARE STILL OPEN

JULY 12, 2008 I'M MRS. WILLIS JONES III!!!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine