baker dilemna

Online Users: 1,294 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 3

MrsRicecake Posts : 700 Registered: 2/2/08
baker dilemna
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 6:04 PM

Ok heres my problem! One of my mom's friends does wedding cakes on the side. She told me that she would do my cake for free and serve it and all that jazz! Well I found the cake that I want and took a picture to her with a description of it. She looked at it and read the description and turned to me and said "This is fondant. I've never done fondant!" I was in shock, she tells me how she has done all of these cakes and how beautiful they are (I keep asking to see her work, but she never shows it to me). Then she told me she wanted to start doing fondant and has read about it so she would experiment with it. I then told her that I wanted buttercream icing under it instead of creamchesse icing. Her response to that is that you dont put icing under the fondant. She sent me home with cake books and I got to reading it and came across how to use fondant and it said you use icing under the fondant. My cake is simple but the way it is decorated, it really needs to smooth fondant look. Also my cake is stacked not on those tier column (I dont know if thats what they are called) but she told me that she would rather use this ugly cake stand thing because its "easier". But I want the look I want and not a seperated cake! Should I just use a baker that I know will be able to do the fondant how I want it? And if so how do I tell my mom's friend I don't want her to do my cake?

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: baker dilemna
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 6:49 PM Go to message in response to: MrsRicecake

Should I just use a baker that I know will be able to do the fondant how I want it? And if so how do I tell my mom's friend I don't want her to do my cake?

Thank her for her time and tell her that you've decided to go in another direction. She may be a little hurt, but you'll be miserable if you continue with her. And, a situation like the one you describe can endanger your Mom's relationship with her friend. Better to work with someone on a strictly professional basis.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

marty08 Posts : 1,110 Registered: 7/1/07
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 6:51 PM Go to message in response to: MrsRicecake

I agree...be polite but use a professional if your heart is set on what you want....Maybe she can do a grooms cake???

PTGirl09 Posts : 141 Registered: 9/4/06
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 9:21 PM Go to message in response to: marty08

A good cake decorator can make buttercream icing look really smooth to get the fondant look without the bad taste (that is why they do buttercream underneath the fondant layer).  Here is a pic of my cake done with buttercream.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine