Sundays at 6pm?

Online Users: 1,332 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 11

Whitb55 Posts : 435 Registered: 12/16/07
Sundays at 6pm?
Posted: Jan 6, 2008 7:17 PM

I am in the early stages of planning my wedding but my FH and I have found a location that we love. It at a local winery where we would get married outside and then after the ceremony everyone would just go inside for the reception. However, you can only rent the entire place on Sundays and the restaurant where the reception would be is not ready until 6pm. The wedding will be in June but is a 5 or 6ish wedding too late in the day? I am afraid about lighting as well as being able to take photos after the wedding with enough light outside. Please help. 

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: Sundays at 6pm?
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 2:06 PM Go to message in response to: Whitb55

It sounds lovely. Have your ceremony at 5, move on to the reception, and the whole things should be over by 10, which is fine for local people who have to get home and work the next day. Send save-the-dates early, so out of town guests can plan their travel and work arrangements.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Posted: Jan 7, 2008 2:17 PM Go to message in response to: myra

Thanks. I am not sure yet if we have to wait until 6pm for the ceremony or if we can start it early at like 5pm. I didnt think the late time would be a huge deal because we will have a full dinner being served. As well, most of our guests will not be from out of town because my FH and I have huge families that do not ever move haha. Does anyone ever get married on a Sunday?

Posted: Jan 7, 2008 2:54 PM Go to message in response to: Whitb55

Sundays (or days other than Saturday) tend to be much less expensive than a typical Saturday wedding.  If you choose to go this route, you'll be saving yourself a lot of headache and money!

Make sure you negotiate well with your vendors.  They should give steep discounts for a wedding on a Sunday; after all, that means they usually have at least TWO events on the same weekend - its' a dream come true for them.

I say go for it.  Enjoy your wedding.  A Sunday wedding is both unique, and memorable.

Oh, there's always another bonus too!  People traveling to your wedding will have extra time in getting there.  Sure, they may have a bit of a delay going back, but it's well worth the relaxed trip there.

Many waters cannot quench love, neither can the floods drown it. - Song of Solomon 8:7

goldelox20 Posts : 152 Registered: 8/6/07
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 3:08 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Summer solstice is June 21st (the longest day of the year) so I think you should be OK on lighting.

luvathena Posts : 929 Registered: 12/10/07
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 2:20 AM Go to message in response to: Whitb55

I'm getting married on a Sunday also, but on a holiday weekend so Monday is a holiday! I get the best of both worlds that way! And 6 on a Sunday in June will be great! It doesn't get dark until 8 in June.

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 2:31 AM Go to message in response to: luvathena

Thanks for the help. My FH told me I was being silly, I just wanted to make sure. Also, I love the idea of having the wedding on a Sunday and then Monday being a holiday. I actually wont be getting married until 2009, but does anyone know of any Monday holidays in June off the top of their heads. I never know when those holidays really are until they come haha. But that would be a great idea. I wont have a lot of out of town guests but at least people can enjoy themselves and most of them wont have to worry about work the next day. 

ASE Posts : 58 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 12:28 PM Go to message in response to: Whitb55

I'm getting married on a Sunday as well so I say go for it. Our wedding is over Columbus day weekend (which I thought most employers give off) but I found that not to be true. So, many people will probably have to take Monday off for travelling.

I looked it up, and unfortunately, there are no Monday, federally recognized holidays in June. But as another post mentioned, send out save the dates ahead of time (we did about 10 months out) and give people time to plan.

Think about it this way. Many people take Friday off for a Saturday wedding so having a wedding on Sunday would force people to take Monday off. And what's better then not having to go to work on a Monday!!!Laughing

Posted: Jan 9, 2008 2:20 PM Go to message in response to: ASE

Thanks for all the help ladies! I have decided that I love the location so I will go ahead with the evening wedding on Sunday. People can take of work if they need to, but honestly most of our guest will be local anyway, which is even better. And I will send out Save the Dates early to make sure everyone can take off if they would like to. Thanks again!

Ariana2858 Posts : 14 Registered: 1/21/08
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 3:10 PM Go to message in response to: Whitb55

I'm having a Sunday wedding as well, but mine is in the early afternoon. I say whatever works for you, go for it... you can only work around so many people's schedules. The one thing that i have had to consider (and ultimately the reason we're having it earlier in the day) is that I have a lot of guests flying in from out of town and in order to allow them time to fly back home and be at work on that Monday after, I need to make sure the reception is wrapped up by at least 5. If you have a lot of out of towners coming you might want to consider that, but ultimately, your wedding your time your way and people either come or they don't. Good luck!

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 1:54 AM Go to message in response to: Ariana2858

Off the top of my head I can only think of a couple out of town guests, my uncle and his two kids, my great aunt and second/third cousins, and my FMIL has a good friend that came in for FHs brothers wedding so I assume she will be invited to ours and she will maybe come and bring her daughter. That is a small amount of people considering we will probably have 250-300 people at the wedding and reception so I think I will be okay. FH and I live 20min apart and the place we chose is ironically right in the middle. Both of our families live mostly in the same city and if not in the same city than in the same state at least. Same thing with our friends and our families friends. So I think we will be okay when it comes to people traveling for the wedding. I am sure the people who do travel might stay up and extra day or so just to visit with family anyway. I thought about having the wedding on Memorial Day weekend, but I am still not sure. I am afraid it might be too close to my graduation date and people might want to do other things. But we will see. I had just known that weddings are usually on saturdays in the afternoon. I assumed it was okay since Sundays in the evening are the only times our ceremony/reception site is available exclusively for weddings and private events. I figured they would not offer it if people did not use it or if it was considered rude. I needed some more opinion on it though. Thanks. 

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 1:54 AM Go to message in response to: Ariana2858

Off the top of my head I can only think of a couple out of town guests, my uncle and his two kids, my great aunt and second/third cousins, and my FMIL has a good friend that came in for FHs brothers wedding so I assume she will be invited to ours and she will maybe come and bring her daughter. That is a small amount of people considering we will probably have 250-300 people at the wedding and reception so I think I will be okay. FH and I live 20min apart and the place we chose is ironically right in the middle. Both of our families live mostly in the same city and if not in the same city than in the same state at least. Same thing with our friends and our families friends. So I think we will be okay when it comes to people traveling for the wedding. I am sure the people who do travel might stay up and extra day or so just to visit with family anyway. I thought about having the wedding on Memorial Day weekend, but I am still not sure. I am afraid it might be too close to my graduation date and people might want to do other things. But we will see. I had just known that weddings are usually on saturdays in the afternoon. I assumed it was okay since Sundays in the evening are the only times our ceremony/reception site is available exclusively for weddings and private events. I figured they would not offer it if people did not use it or if it was considered rude. I needed some more opinion on it though. Thanks. 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine