name change? Wedding on Valentines Day, 2008!

Online Users: 1,263 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 2
name change? Wedding on Valentines Day, 2008!
Posted: Jan 30, 2008 12:10 AM

I'm planning my wedding in about a months time, and I have never done it before. I've so far actually kept it under $1000 (ceremony, honeymoon, cake, dress, accessories, invites done by myself, and the reception) and without looking cheap. But, with all the planning I have done, I can't figure out how to get my name changed,

I have seen a lot of different sites saying you have to pay to get it done... please help. I am getting married soon! 

Message was edited by: starfantazy

Re: name change? Wedding on Valentines Day, 2008!
Posted: Jan 30, 2008 1:16 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am getting married 2/16 so I looked into this, but I am not changing my name until after the honeymoon. Before you change anything (drivers license, bank accounts, etc) you have to get a new Social Security card. You need to fill out a form SS-5 and bring it to your local Social Security office along with specific proof of identification. I believe it is free.

There is information on this website:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/gethelp1.htm 

MrsBranch Posts : 97 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: name change? Wedding on Valentines Day, 2008!
Posted: Jan 30, 2008 3:00 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

If you get one of those name change kits, there is a fee.  As the previous poster said, once you get your marriage certificate back from the county, you get your social security card.  From there, you can get your driver's license and start to change everything else.  The only thing I had to pay was the fee for the duplicate driver's license.  In my area, that was $12.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine