Photography Tips: Red Flags

Online Users: 1,359 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 34
Re: Photography Tips: Red Flags
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 12:24 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I find it humorous and almost pathetic that 'professional photographers' start this thread, then when someone asks difficult questions, they ALL avoid it like the plague.

I guess that says enough, in itself.

Too bad this thread was all about tooting their own horn instead of truly answering questions to help someone!

Many waters cannot quench love, neither can the floods drown it. - Song of Solomon 8:7

gregallen Posts : 22 Registered: 5/23/07
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 3:10 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

"I learned recently that a lot of photographers who are not photojournalists are kidnapping the term photojournalist,"

Yes truer words were never said! Yes I know of a graphic artist who took some models put them in wedding attire and after photographing them posted the pix on his new site touting that he was a wedding photojournalist. Sad.

Hijacked is a good term for it. Hijacking is very common. However, i have seen wedding photos taken by a National Geographic photog that were very disappointing. I have seen a Sports Illustrated photog do the same. 

So, what's the rule of thumb?

Ask how long your photographer will be around to document your special day. If they feel your day is special then see if they stay until you leave. The best 'moments' happen at the end when everyone lets down their guard. The photojournalist will for the most part capture 'the day in the life of...'  I am not a big believer in small timed packages where the photog doesn't give you the day. ( they don't like to hear that b/c it makes for a long day. I didn't have one for my wedding a regret it often. My wife and I had a big send off with streamers and all the fireworks etc. and no photog to record it) Ok sorry, i will step down off of my soap box.

Also , back to rule of thumb, if you do have a photojournalist look all a full body of his WEDDING PORTFOLIO. You will soon be able to tell if he has a sense of what is happening not only with the events of the day but also the nuance under the surface. 

With so many people going into wedding photography these day it pays to do your home work. Don't compromise!

Remember look at a full body of wedding pix and find out when the photog plans to leave.

Blessings to you all.

GREG ALLEN

Message was edited by: gregallen

PALMETTOMOON Posts : 532 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 3:32 PM Go to message in response to: gregallen

I had a wonderful experience with our photographer for our wedding.  Travis is actually a sports photojournalist who just happens to love weddings :-)  (He left after our reception that night to cover the Carolina-Tennessee football game).  He was exactly what I was looking for because we both had the same feelings about "fake" pictures (ex. pretending to toss the bouquet just to get a shot of the pose).  Except for the 20 minutes of obligatory family pictures, I really never talked to him...I pointed out our families and we talked about some important aspects of the wedding when he first got to the site, but other than that, he was on his own.  And the images he was able to capture were wonderful, really taking me back right into the moment.  Here's a link to the proofs if anyone's bored!

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/viewalbum.aspx?a=464137

www.mywedding.com/lizandkevin

Message was edited by: PALMETTOMOON

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 6:47 PM Go to message in response to: gregallen

I figured that I would repost my previous question, since it appears that it's either been overlooked or completely ignored.  Hopefully SOME photographer will take the time to answer my questions instead of passing my post by:

I'm so glad y'all started this thread! I'm full of questions.

My first wedding happened in the pre-historic days (pre-digital) so I'm not familiar with all the digital lingo.  I know that most photographers use digital now - and that's fine with me.  My questions surround the finished product.

1.  When a photographer says they furnish processed, or unprocessed jpg files, raw files (.cr2), what does that exactly mean?

2.  When a photographer says some of the files he will give you are 'ready to print', is that a flag? Shouldn't they ALL be ready to print?

3.  If you do choose to print your pictures later, and forgo purchasing them from the photographer, what is the difference in resolution/quality?

4.  Will most photographers sign a release so you may have full ownership of your own pictures? If not, why? I can't imagine hiring an artist to paint my portrait, then paying him $$$ only to have him declare he still owns MY portrait and I must get his permission to do with it what I want.

Any other information in this general area would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Many waters cannot quench love, neither can the floods drown it. - Song of Solomon 8:7

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 7:07 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Just a quick comment about your last post about "avoiding questions like the plague." It is certainly not avoiding the questions if certain professional photographers haven't been on this site for two months. Holiday season is a very busy time for photographers, needless to say I haven't been able to even check this site in quite some time. I'm sure the other photographers will tell you the same.

I logged on today to find your reply and was quite disheartened to know how someone couldn't give people a least a little credit.

I take pride in being a professional photographer. It is busy work and helping people on these site is totally voluntary for me and all other photographers. It is in good cause. I'm tired of seeing brides ripped off. So in response to your questions here are my insights.

1. When a photographer says they furnish processed, or unprocessed jpg files, raw files (.cr2), what does that exactly mean?

In most cases a photographer furnishing "processed" jpg's means it is a jpeg that can be ready on any computer. "Processed" is a very loose term because it varies from photographer to photographer. I for one, consider processed images as images that are ready to print. (at a pro lab of course). They are images I've color corrected (rarely need to), minor blemish removal, and post processed enhancements.  Images with vignettes, advanced photoshop manipulation, and major blemish removal are considered specialty items. Basically, a Jpeg that is ready to print is processed.

Now if a photographer is giving Raw images, it is the highest image quality you can get. The kicker is that you will only be able to read the image with special software, and in most cases your everyday lab won't be able to print them. You will have to convert the images to jpegs or tiffs with Photoshop or Raw Conversion software to see them on your computer. Raw images are NOT digitally enhanced, i.e. blemish removal, etc.

2. When a photographer says some of the files he will give you are 'ready to print', is that a flag? Shouldn't they ALL be ready to print?

Yes and no. It shouldn't be a flag. Yes because if the image is a jpeg it is ready to print.

No, because if the image is a jpeg, but certain elements like blown highlights and loss of detail in blacks  (both of which can be improved post production) may not have been edited.

3. If you do choose to print your pictures later, and forgo purchasing them from the photographer, what is the difference in resolution/quality?

Only if you purchased full resolution images, will the image quality be the same. Again, the lab you use will highly reflect on the photographers work. If you order from the photographer it will always be on the highest resolution.

If you purchased full resolution images and have the DVD/CD it shouldn't matter.

4.  Will most photographers sign a release so you may have full ownership of your own pictures? If not, why? I can't imagine hiring an artist to paint my portrait, then paying him $$$ only to have him declare he still owns MY portrait and I must get his permission to do with it what I want.

Depends on the market you are in and the photographer. Many photographers now a days will shoot and give a CD. A practice that is in my opinion hurting professional photography. This is a balancing act because a photography is a business. Merely giving the CD away is certainly shortchanging a gifted artist. If you pay an artist to paint a portrait of you, fine. But I don't know any artists who forgo their copywrite on any single painting. Especially to reproduce it. Photography is art, and reproducing the artist's work has a price. Even if you paid for the service, the creator has the rights to his work.

I do offer "digital negatives" with one package, but for a price, and for certain stipulations. It's not fair to the creator to reproduce an image he/she created without at least some compensation.  For a professional photographer, this is important, because we too, must put food on the table. You aren't merely buying a 10c CD.  It is a "right" to reproduce art while risking the artist's reputation. I've seen work printed at subpar kiosks for 19c that distort color and provide a very bad image. This reflects on the photographer. 

It seems that with the dawn of digital all artists are taking a loss in the long run. Now people want their CD's, want to download free music, pirate movies, etc. In the long run the artist's suffer, and quality goes down.

Feel free to respond. I'd love to hear comments, but it may be another two months before I have "time to check back." Thanks! 

"The Photographer"

Www.CgProPhoto.com

Message was edited by: WeddingArtist

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 7:41 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

WeddingArtist,

Thanks for the reply - and the explanations.

While I certainly do undertsand copyright law, and I would not want to infringe upon it in any way, I would love to have all my images so that I could print replacements, etc if so needed - years down the road.  I can't see what benefit my photographer would have over holding my images forever - and they probably wouldn't anyway.

You mentioned converting files, etc.  Isn't that possible with Jasc's Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop?

I'm simply trying to figure out all the differences between what's offered now.  The photographer for my first wedding charged us $3000 (in 1984) and we received a large book with 8x10 photographs, but in the end, the remaining pictures were so overpriced we could never afford to have additional copies of any of the pictures - something I'd like to remedy this time around.

The terminology seems to vary from photographer to photographer, and it sure does make it confusing for those who are not 'in the field'.

Thanks again.

Oh...and just because I responded to your posting, doesn't mean I was directing my comments at you - they were more general, and certainly more for those photographers who flock to a more controversial thread in this section, rather than answer someone's questions.  I appreciate you taking the time to respond - the information you're giving me is helping me to understand better and make a more informed decision.

lensappeal Posts : 80 Registered: 9/4/07
Posted: Jan 11, 2008 12:34 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm sorry that I couldn't answer your questions in complete myself, and there for chose to allow another who would be more than capable to explain in a clearer fashion than I could...

don't take things so gosh darn personally...

When is my wedding

KatieMarie1121 Posts : 4 Registered: 1/16/08
Posted: Jan 29, 2008 10:38 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Posted: Jan 29, 2008 10:39 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

aare any od you ladys bi?

*Esmeralda*

January 3, 2009

coastiebride Posts : 1,365 Registered: 3/26/07
Posted: Jan 30, 2008 12:27 AM Go to message in response to: KatieMarie1121

Ok i have decided to spluge on my photography Now i am torn between two very diffrent packages they are both for 5 hrs but one dosnt include a second photographer nor an album and its about 1600 Now the second package has an 2nd photographer and comes with an album (20 pgs) and a coffe table albm (30 pgs) but its going to run about 2400

Now my question is..... is the cost worth it? Im really into it for the 2nd photographer how much differance does it make? its going to run me 1200 to hire the 2nd photograher for 5hrs. I get all the pictures released to me on a cd so i can print them off.... Any ideas thoughts?

Going to the Chapel December 6th 2008

Love is a four-letter word spelled G-I-V-E

Check out my personal site :myspace.com/dixidarlinxo

Check out my wedding website too: http://jharrellandbpittman.weddings.com

KatieMarie1121 Posts : 4 Registered: 1/16/08
Posted: Jan 30, 2008 2:13 PM Go to message in response to: coastiebride

Message was edited by: KatieMarie1121

coastiebride Posts : 1,365 Registered: 3/26/07
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 8:59 PM Go to message in response to: KatieMarie1121

well it is the same company and i get my choice of 1st photographer rather then w.e gets drawn out of the hat they are all good but i do seem to like one womans style better then the 3 others

Going to the Chapel December 6th 2008

Love is a four-letter word spelled G-I-V-E

Check out my personal site :myspace.com/dixidarlinxo

Check out my wedding website too: http://jharrellandbpittman.weddings.com

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 9:20 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Vague,

Sorry for the delay in answering your questions.  I've been busy with helping the folks with Celebrations among other issues.  Anyway, here are the answers to your quetsions

1) Most professional Digital cameras (DSLR) have the ability to provide the image file in at least two formats.  The first is called camera raw and requires software specifically designed to process the files for that particular camera.  The software will convert the Raw file to JPEG format.  Jpeg is one of the standard image format.  Many cameras will also provide a .jpg file.  

There is a great amount of disagreement in the professional ranks over which is better.  Personally, I am a .jpg shooter.  However, just because an image file is raw or .jpg does not mean the file has been processed.  For best results all images should be reviewed for color and exposure correction.  However, you really need to talk to the photographer to determine how they are using the terms.

2) A file which is ready to be printed has been color and exposure corrected. plus cropped for the print size.  Bascially the image is ready to be sent to the printer.  You have to determine at what stage of the process the photographer is willing to provide you with the files.  Personally, when I provide files, I give exposure and color corrected files.  Since I don't know the final print size, I leave that for the client to handle.

3) The difference in quality has nothing to do with the resolution but the photo paper on which the photo is printed.  Professional papers have a longer archival period than consumer papers.  In fact, some consumer photo labs use the exact same printers are the pro labs just different paper.

4) Whether you realize it or not, this is US Federal Copyright law.  Each artist has to decide for themselves what rights they are willing to sell.  Some give you everything and others nothing.  Some will give you a usage license.  In fact, you already purchase usage licenses everyday for the music you listen to, the books you read and the programs you run on  your computer.  

Please let me know if there are any other questions I can answer for you. 

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 9:35 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hello,

I'm sorry I was not available to answer the tough questions.  Unfortunately, your post occurred while I was on vacation and then at a national professional photographers convention.  Unfortunately, after that I was busy catching up and this thread got buried underneath many other threads.  However, I am here to answer your questions and hope I've been able to do so.  Also please understand that my first obligation is to my paying clients.  I do try to answer questions on this forum when I have the opportunity.  However, should you ever have a pressing question or issue, please feel free to look me up (forum rule prohibit me from posting my contact info) and give me a call.  It is much easier for me to do my computer work and talk on the phone at the same time than respond via posts.  Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

MissyF Posts : 275 Registered: 9/23/07
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 9:58 PM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

Hey folks, I happened to pop back on this thread to look around, and realized that I completely forgot to post my final decision as promised! You'll remember that, back in the Fall, I was looking at two photographers in a similar price range, and was torn between my gut and.... well, the other half of my gut. The good news is that in the end, I didn't choose either of them, because I kept researching until I happened across an up-and-coming local photographer. FH and I met with him and were both very impressed. I'm also very comfortable with his price, because while it's not exactly cheap, it's also not too far out of our range and we're happy to know he's confident enough with his work to charge reasonably. If anyone's interested (or any of you photographer ladies and gents want to critique him - KINDLY Wink), here's his website:

http://www.ryanbrenizer.com/

..... and I know he's got a blog and a flickr account that show his more recent work, cuz I know he's still taking classes.

I'm planning on doing a big "Vendor Critique" after my wedding next month, so I'll update you all then on how he did. Thanks again for all the advice!!! 

Woman to my man. Slave to my budget.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine