Beware of Free Vacation From Simplicity Gourmet

Online Users: 1,327 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 105

excoastiegirl Posts : 2 Registered: 11/13/07
Re: Beware of Free Vacation From Simplicity Gourmet
Posted: Nov 13, 2007 10:47 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Yes, I researched this company and although I am aware of the speculation of this being "fradulent," I only pay attention to the posts of people who have actually gone on the trips.  My thinking is, how is this company padding the pockets of travel agencies (who, by the way are going to charge an arm and a leg for the flights there and back,,,you know they won't let you use discount programs online such as Hotwire or Priceline - Travel Agencies are mainly for the wealthy)?  What would they benefit from eachother...I'd like to  compare it to Dr's and Pharmacists, however this just doesnt make sense.  The funny thing is, I "won" a previous trip from Royal Prestige...ALTHOUGH when I came to this presentation, we ran into another couple who we met from going to RP's presentation!  I wonder if anyone actually "wins" these trips, or if the companies call each and every person who signs up for these trips (I personally went to a "Bridal Spectacular" show in my hometown and like everyone else, signed up for free everythings) and weeds the ones out who A.) answers the phone, thinks it's a scam and hangs up or B.) answers the phone and gets their hopes up because they are on a very tight budget and will take the chance.  So, in conclusion, I don't believe anyone "wins" or "is selected" for these "free" vacations. 

Posted: Nov 28, 2007 2:31 PM Go to message in response to: excoastiegirl

The Better Business Bureau has a report on Integra Marketing (The parent company of World Adventures Travel).  The report can be found here: http://westflorida.bbb.org/WWWRoot/Report.aspx?site=47&bbb=0653&firm=90019088  The company is NOT ACCREDITED

Integra Marketing website is: http://www.marketwithintegra.com/

I also got a call (although I do remember signing up for the free vacation at a bridal show), went to the show, didn't buy a thing (although they did make it sound like a good deal... and this morning when I woke up I thought "what were we thinking to even consider spending that much on pots and pans??").  I have the certificate for the free vacation and free camera/film and am wary about it. 

Everyone on here that says they've gone on the vacation also happens to have bought the products and knows someone who has used them for years.... Which sounds like a salesperson (sorry if you're not!).  Has anyone that didn't buy into the overpriced pots and pans and doesn't have a grandmother that swears by the products go on the vacation?  What are the catches?  yes, taxes, etc... But what is the exact process you went through?

Thanks!!!

Message was edited by: beccagrace

excoastiegirl Posts : 2 Registered: 11/13/07
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 3:51 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm in the same boat as you.  I really wish that someone would reply who has actually gone on the trip - there's no way that I would have bought any of the products, we're just looking for a cheap honeymoon!  Which makes me think that we are never going to get a reply from someone who went on the trip because this site is for Brides...I know that this site, along with theknot and marthastewartweddings are the three sites I'm pretty much obsessed with - until I get married, of course.  After the honeymoon, why would I go back on the sites - so, no, I dont think we will ever get a straight answer on the outcome of the trips.  As a travel professional, I'm extremely cautious...as a bride on a low budget, I'm almost sick if this happends to be a scam. 

Posted: Dec 12, 2007 3:07 AM Go to message in response to: excoastiegirl

Geeze everyone! Listen up... I went on the vacation, and it was absolutely beautiful! To start off, they are a professional business, the sales people are paid commission to sell cookware and the company they work for is joined together with a travel agency in working promotions. Simplicity gourmet works with the travel agency and pays a small fee to offer free vacations, which in turn helps the agency make money as well. Compared to advertisments, its a whole lot cheaper for them, and their selling technique is very powerful. Both me and my fiance had a great time at the 90 minute seminar. There wasnt alot of people, it was very informative, and we got to eat while we were at it. PLus the lady was very funny. Personally, spending good money on cookware is worth it. we love everyone of our pots and pans from simplicity gourmet and we definately got what we paid for. We will never have to buy another pot or pan for the rest of our lives, and where to some, this issue isnt so relevant, we absolutely love the fact that is promotes healthier eatting, even by something as little as what the pot is made from. If your intention is not to buy anything, thats fine, but its worth going to at least listen to what they have to say, again it was quite informational.

As for the vacation... we actually recieved two because they made a mistake in seminar times and we came to early so they gave us one as a thank you. we decided to come back for the second show to sit through the seminar, got a second trip and bought a cookware package. We will be using our honeymoon for one of these trips to a ski resort in colorado. however we recently used our second vacation to malaga spain for our birthdays two months ago. With the fees combined in total we paid 200. 100 went to reserving the trip and 100 towards taxes... later, the second 100 went to taxes once we made the actual trip. These are costs that the company cant LEGALLY pay for. if you watch the price is right, they do the same thing when you win a trip... pay for your airfare and the taxes... compared to actual cost of the trip, 200 dollars is NOTHING, and saved us quite a pretty penny. Its important that you read all the fine print. it gives you all the info you need to know about planning your trip correctly.  As in any flight plans, regardless if you plan it yourself or use an agent, you have to put down a reservation fee. this ensures that you show up. that hotel or condo looses money if they cant book that room which is why it makes sense to make that fee nonrefundable.

ladies, just take a deep breath, go to the seminar and have a good time. use this vacation towards you and your other half either for your honeymoon or for years ahead. its worth the time, and for pete sakes... stop worrying so much that this is a scam...  is it so hard to believe that there are actually good people out there who just want to say thanks? take it for what it is, there was no pressure what so ever, and just enjoy yourself. lifes too short

Posted: Dec 27, 2007 2:45 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hey Girlz, of course I got the call.  I've never won anything before in my life, but my momma didn't raise no fool.  At first I was happy on the phone, but of course I had to do my homework. I found this forum and it made me get really angry.  So what I did was printed off this whole thread and next week when I go to the little presentation I will make sure to show someone and get explanations.  I honestly feel that they make their money from those who actually purchase the pots and pans.  The people who actually pay $2000-3000 dollars for pots are the ones who get the free vacation, they basically paid for the vacation and got some pots and pans to go with it that could easily be bought from Wal-Mart.  For those who don't are the ones who are upset because their still waiting on their free vacation as we speak.  I will make sure to take this whole print out of all of our conversations and ask them directly face-to-face "What the hell is going on?". I will post their response ASAP. 

MrsMcCain Posts : 580 Registered: 10/24/07
Posted: Dec 27, 2007 3:05 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I never believe that anything is free. There is no such thing without a catch.

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 9:34 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcCain

I just got the call! It was funny because I was a little leery when they left a message a couple days ago and she kept asking me if I was excited.  I don't mind going just to look.  I am by no means in any condition to spend $2000 on pots and pans.  Was anyone else promised the gift box?  Was that at least worth it if the "free" trip isn't?

abf Posts : 1 Registered: 1/11/08
Posted: Jan 19, 2008 12:18 AM Go to message in response to: LaurenS

I completely agree.  It's not a scam, it's a sales pitch.  My fiance and I went, set through the 90 minutes (which was actually interesting), and left with a 3 day/2 night certificate for an all inclusive.  We were told up front that it didn't include airfare or taxes.  After the presentation I told the guy that we were going to pass and he said okay and gave us the certificate.  It wasn't a bad experience at all.

ChrisandKait Posts : 14 Registered: 1/19/08
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 1:12 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm totally freaking out after reading all of these posts. I went to a bridal show yesterday, and I was really excited to get the call this morning. But because I'm my mother's daughter, I was uneasy about the whole thing (no such thing as a free thing). Now they have my phone number, and I'm scheduled to go to this presentation on Wednesday. 

I have a friend whose brother won a free honeymoon (obviously not from these people, he's still around to tell the tale), so I was really hoping this wasn't a scam. I'm still debating whether or not to go, now that I've read these posts.

It still would be great to hear from someone who actually went on the trip (and survived to tell the tale).

Posted: Jan 21, 2008 6:30 PM Go to message in response to: ChrisandKait

Darkbroadway-

I think I went to the same bridal show you did yesterday, and I just got a phone call from them not 20 minutes ago.  Reading through these posts has made a skeptic out of me, but we're going to go anyways and see what they say.  If we don't have to buy anything, at least we (hopefully) get the free gift basket!!  We'll see, I guess.

Good luck!

Posted: Jan 22, 2008 11:11 AM Go to message in response to: ChrisandKait

Hi darkbroadway, I was also at the same bridal show you were and I just got a call from them. I told her I can not go to the 90 minute show tomorrow night because my fiance has a college class. So she said she would get us into today's show. It was already booked but she would squeeze us in. That was the first red flag to me. If we won a  free trip, why are we going to a seminar with a bunch of other people? 

I was told that we would have to pay taxes and airfare and would get 3 days/2 nights in Cancun, Bahamas, or Costa Rica. I don't know about you, but if I am paying to fly to those place, I am going to stay more than 2 nights and 3 days! I am not even going to go to the seminar tonight. I think it will just be a waste of my time and I am sure that after airfare, taxes and paying for additional nights and days at the resorts, we are going to be out more money than if we just go on a vacation here in the states. 

I agree with everyone else that nothing is free these days!

HillWifey Posts : 12 Registered: 1/18/08
Posted: Jan 23, 2008 11:35 AM Go to message in response to: excoastiegirl

I went to the show and the cookware is nice but my parents got me a set from jcpenny's that was reg $400 buck we got in on sale for about $200 it does everything SG does but for less$$$$ and i told them after the show i have a very good cookware set and they still give me the information for the trip you have to pay a $200 free plus your airfare with i looked up for the month of Sept round trip for two and it was $800 so that means you'll be paying $1000 for 3 days 2 night ( that isn't bad for the place) ,but you can go on a cruise for cheaper to the same place and visit more islands for much longer days. I'm thinking about taking the trip still just to see the place cause i never been. So i'll give you an update when i take the trip.

Charmaine Love's her Marine

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket<a href=

Message was edited by: HillWifey

JessicaAndTravis Posts : 5 Registered: 12/5/07
Posted: Jan 24, 2008 4:04 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hey jessica

Read your post about Simplicity gourmet and I liked it! I was wondering have you went on the vacation yet and if so where? Me and my finance have a voucher and I was just looking for some advice. Thanks alot. Oh yea we want to go to the Bahamas...did you go there?

thanks alot,

Jessica

Posted: Jan 24, 2008 9:56 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Don't you love how THERE WAS NO CHIEF. I was told they were going to cook a full dinner for us. Frank and i made sure to be as annoying as possible. I love how she went oh these come free and umm NO  nothing comes free. The set was 2990.00 plus we get 1/2 off. i didn't see half off. I know what they were up to , im in sales and  when they asked what are you putting down NOTHING

send me a bill if you dare. i hate how they wanted our socials , I DONT THINK SO  

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 10:10 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Ok Girlz, its me again.  I went to the presentation and DID NOT get the over priced pots and pans. But I did send in my vacation certificate in and I just received a notice in the mail 3days ago giving me confirmation to set up my free vacation.  The catch is that you have to pay for taxes per person which is $26/per day (per person).  So for two people you would have to pay $416 at the time of your reservation booking, which is for the 8/day 7/night bonus package.  And you can only book on non-peak seasons which are between Feb-May and Sep-Oct.  If you decided to book during peak there would be an additional surcharge.  Plus you are responsible for your own transportation and amneties. I haven't yet called to set up my vacation but I will after I get my TAX RETURN :) I check this message board like every other day, so if anyone has any questions just post them and I will respond ASAP.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine