September 2008 brides!!!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 2,267

mizhines Posts : 271 Registered: 7/31/07
Re: September 2008 brides!!!
Posted: Jan 17, 2008 1:48 PM Go to message in response to: TheNewMrsJ

Hi FutureMrsJ!

IT sounds like you're being really smart about working within your budget while still making sure you get what you want.  I felt the same way when I was deciding whether or not to get a Day-of Wedding Coordinator-- my mom didn't think it was necessary, so I decided to just pay for it myself because it was something that was important to me (of course, now that she's thought about it, she thinks it was a good idea Wink). 

The package from the photographer sounds really good-- I think you should definitely schedule a time to meet with them so you can share your vision for your wedding, etc.  That way, you can make sure that you "mesh" with them and that they'll capture what's important to you on your day.  That's a great amount for the print credit, and the photo thank-you cards sound great (wish our package had that Smile)!!

Good luck!

"Make me a bicycle, clown!" - Wedding Crashers

JessesFutureWif... Posts : 486 Registered: 10/8/06
Posted: Jan 17, 2008 1:58 PM Go to message in response to: mizhines

Hey Leigh, I'm from Wethersfield, which is the town just south of Hartford. We're getting married at Wood Acres Farm in Terryville (near waterbury). What vendors are you using? Even the out of state ones if you have any, I need all the help I can get with vendors lol.

mono_sig_brown.jpg picture by cherrytomato2003

Our Wedding Website www.tandjwedding.com

dtvg Posts : 67 Registered: 8/21/07
Posted: Jan 17, 2008 2:25 PM Go to message in response to: TheNewMrsJ

All this budget talk makes me want to tell you guys to go get the 8th edition of Bridal Bargains- that book saved me $200 on my dress plus saved me big time on my save the dates and definitely will save me on invites. I know I sound like a commercial for it but it is SO worth it, since this bridal industry can be such a rip-off!!  You can get it for about $15 and it's been my bible ever since.

Rachel, my photog is $2k for her and her other photographer for the whole day. Then the pictures are ala carte, based on what album type, photo size and quantity we want. What we really liked was that we got to pay for our pictures with our wedding money, not all up front. As a matter of fact, that was the first thing we booked after setting the date!

Tiffani, I'm sorry your caterer wanted too much, that has to be disappointing. But don't sweat it, I'm sure there are others out there in your budget that will be great- keep looking! I like the mock-up you did of your invites- they look great!

Leigh, I'm in NJ, so we won't be bridal twins at the same place!  My next task is to find a Jordan retailer that has a dress in charcoal in stock so we can see it- that's gonna take a lot of phone calls, I'm afraid! Frown If in your travels you find one, please take a picture if you can.  I'm afraid it's going to be flat and I was hoping for something with a little sheen.

Stacey, sounds like you're in need of some icy hot! As for magnets for STDs, when we were going to do those, I had them in my hand at Home Depot.  They seemed pretty decent quality and price, but then I found our paper ones and fell in love! This is ours but with a cursive font:  Got them from Costco.com and didn't have to be a member to get, My biggest fear is that we didn't order enough and we're going to have to make some make-shift ones to get by!

I have two people that might be our week of/day of coordinator- one I know and one my FH knows.  They are both willing to do it for free so we just have to decide if we want and who!

Okay, gotta get back to work (did I mention I'm an event planner for a living? Ha!) Ciao! -Dawn

-D Smile

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 2:47 PM Go to message in response to: dtvg

D-  My sister gave me Bridal Bargains for Christmas (she just got married this past fall and she swears by it!)!  I haven't really looked at it closely, but now that someone else is telling me it works I will definitely delve into it this weekend!

p.s.-- I will definitely keep an eye out for that BM dress in charcoal.  If I find it, I will definitely see if I can get a swatch.  I too am hopeful I can find a dress w/ some sheen, since I want my BMs to have a little sparkle since the ceremony's at 4 & the reception starts at 6.

Talk to you soon!

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 2:56 PM Go to message in response to: JessesFutureWif...

Hey Tiffani, I was actually in your neck of the woods over the weekend-- I'm getting my makeup done by a woman who's studio up your way.  She's great-- her name is Janice and the woman who owns the studio is Naomi Martinez (naomimartinez.com).  They're pretty popular for weddings in CT-- not cheap, but they do an amazing job!  Also, I'm using Details Weddings for my DOC (detailsweddings.com)-- my coordinator, Kendall, is based in Enfield, CT, and I got my dress from Bancroft Bridals in Agawam, MA (right over the state line-- bancroftbridals.com)-- if you go, make sure to ask for Chrissy-- she's the best!  

Those are the vendors who would be close to you, but I'm happy to pass on any others if you need them (my photographers are based in NH, but I loooooove them if you're still looking).

Good luck!
Leigh

JessesFutureWif... Posts : 486 Registered: 10/8/06
Posted: Jan 17, 2008 3:05 PM Go to message in response to: mizhines

OMG I'm using Chrissy from Bancroft too!! My dress should actually be in any day now. I ordered it 7 months ago yesterday. What dress did you get?

I've heard of Naomi and she is waay to expensive for me. I've actually talked to one of the girls at the makeup counter at the mall, shes so nice she would always give me makeovers and she said she would do it I think its like $75 or something like that for all the girls I don't quite remember how much. I have to get FI in gear to call his cousin for me she owns a salon! and his other cousin works at a bakery I'm trying to get him to see if they can get us deals. I think we get a doc with our reception hall. I am still looking for a photographer do yours have a website?

mono_sig_brown.jpg picture by cherrytomato2003

Our Wedding Website www.tandjwedding.com

BaltoBride Posts : 453 Registered: 2/27/07
Posted: Jan 17, 2008 3:26 PM Go to message in response to: mizhines

Glad to know there is someone my age around Leigh. Laughing  My FH is pretty good with dancing but I am somewhat worried about my full skirt getting under his feet.  Then we would have one of those Funniest Home Videos wedding videos.  Hehehehe.  I'm a bit sore today from the trainer yesterday but all in all doing very well.

Nikki

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 3:30 PM Go to message in response to: mizhines

I will definitely let you know about the yoga face book.  I am hoping it doesn't take too long to get to me as I am anxious to get started.  Wink

Nikki

dtvg Posts : 67 Registered: 8/21/07
Posted: Jan 17, 2008 3:39 PM Go to message in response to: BaltoBride

Well, Nikki & Leigh, I will be 32 when I get married, so I DEFINITELY saw True Lies in the movie theater!

Leigh, it doesn't even have to be that dress, any dress from Jordan in that color! I just know this is going to be a pain- I can feel it! Grr! And yes, you need to crack that book open now! I got my dress from one of their recommended websites for $630 total. By far the cheapest I could find out of the bridal stores in the state! -Dawn

-D Smile

HillWifey Posts : 12 Registered: 1/18/08
Posted: Jan 18, 2008 10:10 AM Go to message in response to: GUEST21

Well i'm getitng married on the 20th of Sept of this year and i have only my dress picked out i just decided on my MOH dress yesterday FYI that's all i'm having in the wedding besides the bestman, flowergirl and ringbear. I don't know where we are having it just yet and who i'm inviting caues i really just want it to be small. So i'm here trying to get some help on what all i need to do. This saturday i'm going to a bridal show so i hope that iwll be some help.

Charmaine Love's her Marine

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket  <a href=

HillWifey Posts : 12 Registered: 1/18/08
Posted: Jan 18, 2008 10:10 AM Go to message in response to: GUEST21

Well i'm getitng married on the 20th of Sept of this year and i have only my dress picked out i just decided on my MOH dress yesterday FYI that's all i'm having in the wedding besides the bestman, flowergirl and ringbear. I don't know where we are having it just yet and who i'm inviting caues i really just want it to be small. So i'm here trying to get some help on what all i need to do. This saturday i'm going to a bridal show so i hope that iwll be some help.

Charmaine Love's her Marine

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket  <a href=

Posted: Jan 18, 2008 10:38 AM Go to message in response to: HillWifey

Happy Weekend Sept '08 brides!  This Sunday we go with the best woman to pick out her dress at David's.  Her sash is already in.   Wish me luck.  A day with my future step-mother-in-law will be trying to say the least.  She always thinks her opinion is right.  Does anyone have any ideas on  how to tell she can't wear a lime green dress she bought in 1990 to the wedding?  It will clash with the bridal party colors.  I need a positive way to tell her she can't use it.

Nikki

Posted: Jan 18, 2008 10:56 AM Go to message in response to: BaltoBride

Hmm, Nikki, although you are cracking me up with your description of your future MIL, I do feel your pain.  Perhaps you should try to approach it from a different direction-- rather than telling her that she can't wear her lime green dress, perhaps you could do some research on your own, rip out a few pages from bridal magazines of dresses that are in style and would be flattering to her, and tell her that you just happened to come across them and thought of her?  She may not take the hint, but she might actually take the bait Wink.

Good luck!
Leigh

Posted: Jan 18, 2008 11:02 AM Go to message in response to: HillWifey

Welcome Charmaine!

Congrats on your engagement-- everyone on this board is super-helpful, so you came to the right place!  I would say that the main things that you'll want to get started on finding a reception venue (and a church if you want to have your ceremony there), looking for your wedding dress, and researching photographers.  These were the things that I think most of us found most challenging, especially because September is a pretty popular wedding month.  Once you have these things settled, you'll have the really "big" things out of the way.  Since you're not planning on having a very big wedding, you'll have more flexibility in finding a reception venue, so don't be afraid to go "off the beaten path" when you're looking at places (restaurants, museums, etc.).  Have fun at the bridal show-- it's a great way to get started, but don't feel overwhelmed-- baby steps are the way to go!

Best of luck,
Leigh

Posted: Jan 18, 2008 11:16 AM Go to message in response to: mizhines

Leigh, I was being funny about buying it in 1990, she actually told me that in case you thought I was being sarcastic.  Thanks for your idea I think I will try to steer her towards a dress this weekend at David's and see what happens.

Nikki

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine