Photography question for Portland Oregon Brides!!!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

Deedsbride Posts : 69 Registered: 5/8/07
Photography question for Portland Oregon Brides!!!
Posted: Jan 17, 2008 8:51 PM

Hi ladys, i was just wondering if anybody has ever done business With The company Photography by Jenni. Her full name is Jenni Tompkins.

I would like to book her but need some reviews on her first. I cant get refereances from her because she doesnt like to give her other brides information out which i totally understand!

Also, if anybody knows of a great photographer that charges no more than $1500 for atleast 8 hours. Thanks in advance!

RachelFromSoCal Posts : 12 Registered: 1/21/08
Re: Photography question for Portland Oregon Brides!!!
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 2:31 AM Go to message in response to: Deedsbride

A happy bride is ALWAYS willing to offer a good testimonial.

If this photographer doesn't have a bride who is willing to offer her personal recommendation, then something may well be wrong. Check the photographer's rating with the BBB (www.bbb.org) to see if any complaints have ever been filed against her.

My future sister-in-law lives in Portland and is a photographer. Her name is Emily Rinard. I don't know what her current rates are, but she may be able to construct a package within your price range.

http://www.emilyrinardphotography.com/home.html

Emily has awesome style, and my fiance and I have joked about recruiting her for our studio so that we could open a Portland branch, but of course she wants to work under her own name (understandable and respectable!).

Deedsbride Posts : 69 Registered: 5/8/07
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 4:06 AM Go to message in response to: RachelFromSoCal

Thank you! I will definitly check bbb and look into your sister-in-law. I was so put off by the fact that she didnt want to give referances but i wasnt really sure what to do so i told her to please have a bride call me and the one that called was rude and acted like it was a huge pain in the butt that i wanted some referances, she didnt have to call geez! Anyways Thanks again!

RachelFromSoCal Posts : 12 Registered: 1/21/08
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 5:15 AM Go to message in response to: Deedsbride

Hope it works out for you!

I can understand not being able to give out a bride's name or number without their permission first, but it just takes a simple phone call--the photographer should just call some of her past clients, explain the situation, and if they are happy with her service, they should be more than willing to spend 5 minutes on the phone with you. I'd be happy to do it for my vendors, and some of our past clients have done it for us.

Maybe it was just an unfriendly bride in your case, and not a reflection of the photographer.

Jaeger2008 Posts : 3 Registered: 2/19/08
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 6:28 PM Go to message in response to: Deedsbride

Hi Deedsbride!

I just got married in Aruba, but I had a fabulous photographer who is actually from Oregon. Her name is Sherrlyn Borkgren, and I am unbelivably pleased with all the photos. Even my very-difficult-to-please mother is raving.

Sherrlyn's website is www.lovesimplyhappens.com  

Check out the slideshows and if you like what you see, give her a call. I am more than happy to recommend Sherrlyn, and can give her my 100% backing.

Good luck!

Laura 

hesofine Posts : 15 Registered: 1/2/08
Your destinatoin wedding and photographer question
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 8:58 PM Go to message in response to: Deedsbride

Wow that is cheap for a wedding photographer. We are having a destination wedding and are paying quite a bit more but wedding photos mean a lot to me. We are actually hiring Sherrlyn Borkgren from Oregon to photograph our destination-wedding. I believe her price is about $3000 but look at her pictures. http://www.lovesimplyhappens.com  and you will see.  Anyway you are right to get recommendations and if it is a destination wedding you better be sure they have the correct work permit. Someone on anothe forum just told about how their photographer ended up arrested for working without the proper permit. So be careful. That is if you are getting married out of the USA.

We havent't decided about ARuba, jamaica or even having an Italian wedding at this point. We have a year. But I do have my dress which I love AND cannot wait to wear a whole day. 

Message was edited by: hesofine

Message was edited by: hesofine

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Re: Your destinatoin wedding and photographer question
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 9:00 AM Go to message in response to: hesofine

Hello,

You do have a right to be concerned about a photographer who is not willing to provide any references.  When I am requested for references, I also want to protect my clients' privacy.  Therefore, I have a list of references, I contact them and verify they are once again happy to speak with a potential future client.  Once I have the ok, I pass along the contact information.  

A photographer who is not willing to provide references is either lazy or is worried about what is being said about them. 

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine