Changing my name on my SS Card? HELP!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6
Changing my name on my SS Card? HELP!
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 10:03 AM

So I'm in name change limbo!   I changed my name on my drivers license and am going socially by my new last name, I am however still my old last name at work and school and with my bank (my bank won't change my last name until my ss# info is changed).

Ok, so I found out I can mail in the forms and change my ss card info that way.  That works great for me because with school and work, I don't have time to spend the day on a line. 

I've printed the form and started filling it out but all of a sudden I'm confused!  What other than my marriage license do they need?  At the bottom where I sign... which name do I sign?  I feel so dumb lol!  Please anyone please help! 

Happily Married since November 3, 2007

Mrslinnben Posts : 2,285 Registered: 6/4/07
Re: Changing my name on my SS Card? HELP!
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 1:04 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi Amy,

I signed my married name,  they will need a copy of your marriage certificate and copy of your birth certificate. 

I am lucky, I have a social securty office near my work, so I went there to change my ss card.  I did have to wait about 10 minutes. 

Good luck, happy planning & happy wedding day

MrsMcDAtLast Posts : 860 Registered: 1/1/07
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 2:07 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Yep, you sign your married name. I signed my maiden name before I mailed mine in, and it got sent back saying I needed to sign with my married name.

alyssa Posts : 239 Registered: 11/20/06
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 2:15 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

all i needed was my marriage license and driver's license.

MrsBranch Posts : 97 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 4:32 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Where I am, I couldn't change my driver's license until I changed it with social security.  I only needed my marriage license for SS.  Kind of worries me that they didn't even check my ID.   I was in the office all of 5 minutes.  Would have been less if I had filled the form out in advance.  Like everyone else said, they do want you to sign your married name.

Posted: Jan 16, 2008 6:37 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

On another note - I'd get advice on your taxes this year.  Since you hadn't changed your name with social security or your bank or work, my guess is this year even if you file married joint you'll need to file under your old last name.  Your W2s should match the SSA records - so I'm guessing - it could be that you'll have to get your W2 and 1099's (if you have school stuff) reprinted with your new last name before you can file.  I'd definitely ask the question though rather than file and be wrong!  Or does anyone here know?

Posted: Jan 16, 2008 12:10 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Ok, there is a SS office here but last time I tried to go for a different reason, the wait was really long and I don't have any spare time right now. 

Do you think I should wait till I file my taxes?  I haven't gotten the w-2 from my job yet but I know they have to do it by the end of the month.

So does this sound good?: Send the form, a expired ID with my old name on it (they said they needed something with my picture), a certified copy of my birth certificate and a certified copy of my marriage license. Oh, and sign my married name. Sound good?

I'm not sure if I should wait till I get my tax return though to change all my information.  I'm concerned that if I get my refund for Amyloo OldLastName I won't be able to deposit into an account that says AmyLoo NewLastName.... but, if I change my last name BEFORE I file... will it be too soon?  Ahh, I'm confused?

Happily Married since November 3, 2007

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine