Did he ask your Dad first???

Online Users: 1,349 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 68

NovWedding09 Posts : 3 Registered: 11/25/07
Re: Did he ask your Dad first???
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 10:15 PM Go to message in response to: missrachelk

Congratulations on your engagement!! Yes, my FH did ask my father's permission.  Two weeks before he proposed he went to my house to get my mom and dads approval.  He knew it was something that would mean a lot to my dad, and to me, just out of respect.  I just don't know how my mom went 2 weeks without slipping. Best of luck to you both!

thegreengirlofoz Posts : 1 Registered: 1/2/08
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 1:39 AM Go to message in response to: NovWedding09

yep, My FH asked my dad first. He was so nervous the whole time he was talking to my father. My FH arranged that one of my best friends take me out to dinner, and he went over to ask my dad. I learned after he proposed (on my birthday!) that he was like shaking and sweating, and my dad thought he was going to faint! But he didn't and now we're engaged! :-D

JenandDen03212009 Posts : 7 Registered: 12/24/07
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 10:22 AM Go to message in response to: missrachelk

It's funny, I think my dad woulda felt the same way ur dad feels eventhough it was more my mom who raised me.  My FH did ask my dad & my mom...I had told him long ago that I wanted him to do that, nto really for "permission" but moreso for their blessings ~ which of course they gave, they love them some dennis!  (I think my dad may love him more than me...lol)

HeatherJoel Posts : 170 Registered: 7/26/07
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 11:44 AM Go to message in response to: JenandDen03212009

Congrats!

Yes, FH asked my dad's permission. He wanted to get together one weekend I was gone, but my dad had a bowling tournament and was out of town. My dad, not knowing what was going on, told me that Joel had called him. When I asked him why, he said he wanted to 'hang out'. Yes, I believed that. I'm a sucker. We all went to dinner though that Sunday night. It was raining and FH and Dad dropped off mom and I at the restaurant and they went to park the car. That's when he asked. I still cannot believe that my dad kept that to himself the whole night!

5 days later he proposed. :)

"

www.weddingchannel.com/hbeyerandjmcconnell

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 10:02 PM Go to message in response to: missrachelk

He did ask my dad 1st. Told him I wouldnt say yes without my parents approval. Plus my parents are a lot older than most, and it was to show respect. =) Understandable that your dad is a little disappointed. But if you love this man, then your father should also.

remember2things Posts : 2 Registered: 4/23/07
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 11:33 PM Go to message in response to: missrachelk

My Fiance asked my dad, but I think he only did because we had talked about it and I had expressed a desire for him to.  My dad can be very intimidating, so I understand how guys can get nervous about these things.  Either way, it really won't matter a little while down the road - what matters is how he treats you and if he makes you happy.  I'm sure your dad will forget all about it as long as his daughter is in good hands.

KateSkate Posts : 3 Registered: 8/26/06
Posted: Jan 14, 2008 1:55 PM Go to message in response to: missrachelk

Yes. He asked my father and step-father.  My dad cried and my step-dad asked if he needed to cut my fiance a check.  They both had perfect responses for their personalities.
KateKiss

TheNewMrsJ Posts : 754 Registered: 1/6/08
Posted: Jan 19, 2008 8:19 PM Go to message in response to: missrachelk

he asked both my parents on Christmas Eve (we do christmas eve with my family, christmas day with his). I was down in my dad's office printing off christmas cards since my printer at home was being weird and I guess he pulled my mom aside and requested to talk to both her and my dad 'san' me. He wasn't sure when he was going to have a chance to speak to them alone between then and when he wanted to ask me.

Granted they've known him forever and my dad used to joke back in jr high about me hooking up with him eventually (he's had the biggest crush on me since 8th grade), so they were both thrilled, but we both come from somewhat traditional families, so I know my parents would have been a bit disappointed if he didnt.

When is my wedding

September 13, 2008 *~
Rachel & Josh

OneLuckyGal Posts : 9 Registered: 8/5/07
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 10:42 PM Go to message in response to: TheNewMrsJ

I always told my fiance that when he decides to ask, that he better ask my mom first, or I wouldn't accept the ring.  My mom and I are the VERY best of friends, and talk just about everyday.  He called her at work on a Wednesday, and we went to the beach to meet our friends from FL, that weekend, and he asked me on Saturday evening!  My mom never led me on to anything was up!  She is great!  She told me later that she was kinda surprised that he asked her, b/c she knew that it was a very intimate moment for us, and said that she appreciated it and welcomed him into the family!
Make a dream your reality, one day at a time.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine